Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor upgrade, which do I have ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
My car currently has no engine installed tho I have 4 on hand .. a supposedly freshly rebuilt 1.7, a 2056 w/ 40idf webers, and a couple of H6 Subarus.

I’m probably gonna pop the 1.7L in first, and move down the line so to speak, as time and money permit. I haven’t paid any attention to the 1.7L since I acquired it
Several years back now. So looking it over today I discovered that it’s points have been replaced with some sort of digital(?) electronic set up. I assume it’s probably pertronix but I have no paper work. Looks like it’s never actually been fully installed either - red and black wires are clean cut on the ends. Can anyone identify this for certain?
Literati914
Another shot :
914werke
Pertronix II ~
Literati914
QUOTE(914werke @ Sep 28 2023, 08:10 PM) *

Pertronix II ~

I’m skeptical as the front edge of the red module on pertronix units seem to have a couple of angles where as this one is just flat (a more square box). But I guess it’s kind of a moot point since they are more than likely the same things. I’m thinking maybe this is by “Hot Spark”, will need to investigate further.

But basically - this unit’s red wire gets hooked to the + on the coil and the black to the coils’s negative input, right? Am I correct that no other switched wire is needed to be run? (there’s a bk/pu switched wire going to the coil’s + already).

RFoulds
Get the 123ignition! They make a version for every 914 config. It’s awesome!!
RFoulds
driving.gif
Literati914
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Sep 28 2023, 09:18 PM) *

Yeah I’m aware that everyone likes it. But I’m not gonna get one of those at the moment, I’m not sure which engine I’ll settle on. Also, somewhere packed away I have an SVDA flamethrower distributor too - I have no idea if that’s on par with the 123 (I don’t think so), but it may be better than this currently installed piece confused24.gif .

914_teener
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 28 2023, 07:50 PM) *

QUOTE(RFoulds @ Sep 28 2023, 09:18 PM) *

Yeah I’m aware that everyone likes it. But I’m not gonna get one of those at the moment, I’m not sure which engine I’ll settle on. Also, somewhere packed away I have an SVDA flamethrower distributor too - I have no idea if that’s on par with the 123 (I don’t think so), but it may be better than this currently installed piece confused24.gif .

Get an engine in and drive it. If it's a 1.7 great....worry about what's best later.

IMHO. smile.gif
Literati914
QUOTE(914_teener @ Sep 29 2023, 02:50 PM) *

Get an engine in and drive it. If it's a 1.7 great....worry about what's best later.

IMHO. smile.gif

I agree, yea I’m not trying to switch out this unit from the 1.7 .. it’s new, I’m trying to make sure I hook it up correctly. If it sucks, I’ve got a backup plan is all.

Ok, so rummaging thru some boxes I found a manual for this electronic ignition unit & can confirm that it is a “Hot Spark” brand. There were also a few spare items, including some kind of new ballast resistor block (I think), but no real mention of it in the manual. A little research on Hot Spark found users saying that Hot Spark recommended a resistor.

Anyone know how it gets wired in? I’m thinking maybe between the red wire and the + on the coil? In the pic below you can see that one of the spade terminals on the resistor has a key ring thru it for some reason but there is no indication as to an orientation for installation. Any help?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.