Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RFoulds
First time I’ve installed a new speedo cable in a finished car. When there is no interior, and car is unfinished, it seemed a lot easier. Got it through 3 times without the end nut. Fourth try, the gorilla tape finally held it to the end of the cable. Used a wire fishing metal tape to pull it through tunnel.
What a bitch of a job. But it’s done.
scrz914
I’m going to have to do this job soon. Where does one buy a new speedo cable?
Mikey914
We stock them

https://914rubber.com/speedometer-cable-1
Literati914
I just installed mine, I had to do it a couple of times because after the first time (done completely inside the tunnel), I realized there is a built-in “shelf” at the top of the inside of the tunnel, a tunnel inside the tunnel lol. I figured ‘oh, that must be there to isolate the speedometer cable’. After trying tho, the threaded collar would not fit thru it. So I guess that “shelf” is only for structural purposes. So I put it back as I originally had it .. then realized most of the cable gets installed on the outside of the tunnel and runs next to the wiring harness headbang.gif

Ps- my excuse is that my car’s been stripped for a couple years and I’d forgotten the correct route.

RFoulds
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Oct 1 2023, 11:52 AM) *

I just installed mine, I had to do it a couple of times because after the first time (done completely inside the tunnel), I realized there is a built-in “shelf” at the top of the inside of the tunnel, a tunnel inside the tunnel lol. I figured ‘oh, that must be there to isolate the speedometer cable’. After trying tho, the threaded collar would not fit thru it. So I guess that “shelf” is only for structural purposes. So I put it back as I originally had it .. then realized most of the cable gets installed on the outside of the tunnel and runs next to the wiring harness headbang.gif

Ps- my excuse is that my car’s been stripped for a couple years and I’d forgotten the correct route.

I have done it both ways. when car is stripped, I can run it all the way through tunnel and exit near throttle. but running it alongside the wiring harness is much easier.
Beach914
Been putting off doing this on the Bumblebee since I got it. You guys have inspired me to give a try….sort of. I guess ill be doing it when I see the car at Thanksgiving.
Root_Werks
Certainly easier with interior out.

I always wind up with "extra" cable, takes a minute or two to remember how to route it so you don't wind up with so much slack.
ClayPerrine
From experience...

Wrap some electrical tape just below the speedometer end nut. Make it just slightly smaller than the nut. That way the nut stays at the end of the cable when pushing it into the tunnel.

Hope that helps someone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.