Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would cause this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GWN7
This is what caused the breakdown in Kelowna. Put the clutch in, backed up a hill, when to shift to neutral, pedal to the floor. Clevis spread and poped off the clutch pedal arm.
GWN7
Tryed to straighten it and the arm broke. Took it over to a friend of my buddys daughter and he happened to have a full welding shop at home. He tigged it back together. Even painted it. Looked better than new.

Got home with the car and took the son for a ride and the same thing happened again. Bent and poped off again. This time I took the one off the 73 so I could drive. So far so good. But why did this happen?
GWN7
I'm wondering if I need to replace the pin part with a cotter pin of the right size with a couple washers on the sides?
SLITS
The clevis pin had to have worked out of the hole to do that. I would have to look at an assembly to see which side is locked by the barrel tang (or whatever you want to call it).

EDIT: Now I remember...the barrel tang and pin are one piece....somehow it had to have backed out of the one side to pull on one side of the clevis.

???????

URY914
It may also have to do with how your pedal freeplay is adjusted and the "stop" on the pedal board. You may be over stressing the cable/clevis/cable tube in the back.

P
DonTraver
Had that happen on my 6, the hole in the pedal assy arm had elongated, cocking the pin in the hole. Welded up the hole and redrilled, problem gone. Good luck.

Don
Porsche Rescue
My money says Don got it right. Check the hole.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (DonTraver @ Aug 18 2005, 09:31 AM)
Had that happen on my 6, the hole in the pedal assy arm had elongated, cocking the pin in the hole. Welded up the hole and redrilled, problem gone. Good luck.

Don

There's supposed to be a bushing in the hole. The OE bushing is plastic, and lasts quite a while under normal use. Too much loading on the pin causes the described failure, and that comes from clutch wear and other geometry problems inside the bell housing. The tubes break loose for the same reason. The Cap'n
GWN7
I didn't see a bushing while in there (hard to see anything while down there) , so that could be the problem.
boxstr
Bruce, Did you add the missing pedal board?
CCLINCLEVISANDBUTTHEAD
GWN7
Yes, first thing I did once home.

I had a Engman one here, sitting looking pretty. Now it looks good in the car. smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.