Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cibie Z-beam housing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fixer34
Didn't want to hijack the other headlight thread.

I bought a set of Cibie Z-beam units some 40+ years ago (not realizing they were illegal in US at that time..) One bulb is still working, I had to replace the other one about 4 years ago. I really like the beam pattern and cutoff on the Z-beam lenses. Can I simply replace the 9003/H4 style with the LED units? No fog lights installed, although I do have a set to install 'when I get around to it...'
Bullethead
Any of the LED bulbs currently available should be fine, although some have larger sinks and may not fit well.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Oct 2 2023, 09:03 AM) *

I bought a set of Cibie Z-beam units some 40+ years ago (not realizing they were illegal in US at that time..) ... I really like the beam pattern and cutoff on the Z-beam lenses. Can I simply replace the 9003/H4 style with the LED units?

So the short answer is yes.
The long answer is that you may be disappointed with the beam pattern you get with LED lights in the ZBeam housing. LEDs shine differently then incandescent bulbs, and the reflectors may not work properly with an LED bulb.

Zach
914Sixer
ALWAYS use 6 sided LED bulbs as a replacement. They have the same light pattern as a regular bulb. 2 and 4 sided are a poor replacement.
porschetub
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 3 2023, 02:28 AM) *

I bought a set of Cibie Z-beam units some 40+ years ago (not realizing they were illegal in US at that time..) ... I really like the beam pattern and cutoff on the Z-beam lenses. Can I simply replace the 9003/H4 style with the LED units?

So the short answer is yes.
The long answer is that you may be disappointed with the beam pattern you get with LED lights in the ZBeam housing. LEDs shine differently then incandescent bulbs, and the reflectors may not work properly with an LED bulb.

Zach

I fitted LED units and man were they bright however the beam pattern was very scattered ,these were fitted to Hella H4 housings , besides the fact I found out on my countries government regulation website they are illegal I wouldn't have run them anyway due to the beam pattern .
So Zach is very correct with his answer .
73-914

I bought a set of Cibie Z-beam units some 40+ years ago (not realizing they were illegal in US at that time..) One bulb is still working, I had to replace the other one about 4 years ago. I really like the beam pattern and cutoff on the Z-beam lenses. Can I simply replace the 9003/H4 style with the LED units? No fog lights installed, although I do have a set to install 'when I get around to it...'

E-code headlights are illegal
anderssj
I’ve been tempted to do the same with a set of NOS Cibies, but after reading Daniel Stern’s paper on the subject, I’ve decided to stay with high-quality H4 bulbs for now.

Here’s a link to the paper:

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bu...onversions.html

Food for thought anyways.
fixer34
QUOTE(73-914 @ Oct 2 2023, 02:00 PM) *

E-code headlights are illegal

Based on all the comments, I'll leave the H4's alone. At least I know they work properly and I can gets replacements easily.

As for the 'illegal', considering what I see (or don't see-missing headlights all together) on other cars, I'm not going to worry about it. I can see what I need and I'm not blinding oncoming drivers.
914sgofast2
I have the 914Rubber led bulbs in my Z-beam housings and I love them. The light pattern is great!
rfinegan
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Oct 3 2023, 10:49 AM) *

I have the 914Rubber led bulbs in my Z-beam housings and I love them. The light pattern is great!

I always anted this combo..but budget got me Cibié E-code (ECE)
rfinegan
http://clearcorners.com/products/cibie/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.