Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuch! now what?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
joeav8tor
mystery solved...got a new speedo angle drive seal on the way but the tranny bolt hole appears to be stripped...that sucks...options please...hopefully I dont have to drop the motor again this soon. If it is going to be a major nut roll then my driving season has come to an end because I am going overseas with the military.
thanks for the help
Joe
SLITS
timesert / helicoil

it can be done from the outside under the car.....it just locks the speedo housing / driveshaft in place.
joeav8tor
has anyone ever used an insert? and how does it work?
thanks
Joe
Joe Bob
Thin coil that is screwed into a hole..the coil provides grip for the bolt.
bondo
I think that hole may be helicoiled from the factory.. They strip out when people don't line up the hole and try to tighten the bolt. The o-ring is past that, so if the threads in the tailcover are mangled beyond repair you can do whatever you like to hold the angle drive in. (nylon ties, etc.) You could also tap it for a bigger bolt and make your own pin-ended bolt.
bd1308
i think tapping would be easiest

dremel a point on the end of a bolt

and you're done

Mueller
not sure what size it is, but if you figure it out, post a WTB (want to borrow) ad for the helicoil kit, I have one in 8mm and 10mm I think (with coils) if you cannot find someone local, pay for shipping (both ways) and help yourself to a helicoil on me smile.gif
Bleyseng
all the trannys I have (four) are helicoiled. must have been standard practice back in the day? Capt, Captain? Is Capt Krusty in the house?
p914
Helicoil first, I actually used a bit of superglue to keep mine in and it worked for over a year and a half! Then I put the helicoil in.
joeav8tor
thanks guys!
Joe
DipShit
Heli-Coil worked great for me when I was dumb enough to over-torque my oil screen plate on the 911. ohmy.gif
TravisNeff
The tranny I resealed already had a helicoil in it as well. Must be a common problem or something from the factory
scotty b
wink.gif Take a coarse file and file the threads off of the bolt, then mix up about a half a tube of JB Weld, roll the bolt around in the pile'o weld, put any excess JB on the previously threaded portion and cram the whole lot back in the case. Twist slighly to ensure a good mashing and let dry for a few hours. In the meantime go buy a case of Corona and consume as quickly as possible then run around the yard in a ever widening concentric circle while staring up at the sky...hold it down icon8.gif .......hold it down. icon8.gif .....hold it down icon8.gif ................now barf.gif How's the tranny doin? Don't care any more do you? huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.