Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suspension Rubber refresh
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chrispovoas
Hi Fellas...

My 2.0 '73 apparently looking a bit tired in the rubber bushings department, so wanted to give it a bit of a refresh as the costs are relatively cheap...

Looking to replace all rubber bushings underneath, so Trailing arm, Control arm, Inner tie rod rubber bushings... any other bushings I'm missing here?

914 Rubber do a couple of kits, but want to ensure I've got everything before I order..

Cheers!

Chris
Ishley
Do the front and rear bearings while you have it apart… and
Maybe shocks and struts. If you pull the tank you could add a front sway bar.

Also… you might consider a turbo tie rod kit. Rebuild the half shafts and new boots.

I had all the metal blasted and I painted it… some like powder coating.

Get new bolts for the critical mounts. Also… be careful not to break bolts as you pull it apart. It will add weeks of aggravation. If it won’t budge… heat and patience!

windforfun
Are the bushings cracked & falling apart? If not, try lubricating them with Ru-Glyde. It's a tire dressing. It might work.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
chrispovoas
QUOTE(Ishley @ Oct 3 2023, 06:20 PM) *

Do the front and rear bearings while you have it apart… and
Maybe shocks and struts. If you pull the tank you could add a front sway bar.

Also… you might consider a turbo tie rod kit. Rebuild the half shafts and new boots.

I had all the metal blasted and I painted it… some like powder coating.

Get new bolts for the critical mounts. Also… be careful not to break bolts as you pull it apart. It will add weeks of aggravation. If it won’t budge… heat and patience!

Thanks Ishley... Yeah did think about refreshing everything but just trying to manage funds at the mo! hence the need to start with rubber bushings..
chrispovoas
QUOTE(windforfun @ Oct 3 2023, 06:28 PM) *

Are the bushings cracked & falling apart? If not, try lubricating them with Ru-Glyde. It's a tire dressing. It might work.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Yeah, apparently their looking the worst for wear, so time for a refresh.. the kits are only $100, but was wondering if theres any other bushings apart from Trailing arms, control arms and inner tie rod bushings i need to get.

I live in NZ, so if i dont order everything at once itll take weeks to get any bushings ive missed!

Cheers!!
Ishley
The cv refresh is grease, gaskets and some bolts in most
Cases. The bearings are pretty cheap too. Since you are going to drop the swing arms… it might be worth it.
Mikey914
PM sent
Turbo tie rods may be a good value if most of the rubber is gone. They will have a little more feedback from the road, but I think most here like that.
-Mark
Geezer914
I second the Turbo Tie Rods. Lemforder
jhynesrockmtn
Before Rennsport, I did all new rubber bushings front and rear, new wheel bearings, now koni sports, 914rubber did my steering rack, turbo tie rods, new ball joints and 100lb rear springs. My BB has front and rear sway bars so they got the treatment as well. Transformed the car replacing all of that old stuff.

Click to view attachment
DennisV
QUOTE(chrispovoas @ Oct 3 2023, 03:33 PM) *

Looking to replace all rubber bushings underneath, so Trailing arm, Control arm, Inner tie rod rubber bushings... any other bushings I'm missing here?

I recently went down this road (bad joke intended).

If you're after all things rubber in the suspension, there are also some rubber bushing in the front A-arm for the torsion bars that I don't think are shown in the factory parts catalog. You can get them from Elephant or 914Rubber. There are also some foam gaskets here.

Consider
  • Rubber at top of shock towers
  • Ball joints
  • Boots for CV joint
  • CV Joint
  • Wheel bearings
  • Bushings for stabilizer bars if you have them

I decided to do the steering rack while I had it apart. Like a lot of things on old cars, this is a slippery slope...
chrispovoas
QUOTE(DennisV @ Oct 4 2023, 03:10 PM) *

QUOTE(chrispovoas @ Oct 3 2023, 03:33 PM) *

I recently went down this road (bad joke intended).

If you're after all things rubber in the suspension, there are also some rubber bushing in the front A-arm for the torsion bars that I don't think are shown in the factory parts catalog. You can get them from Elephant or 914Rubber. There are also some foam gaskets here.

Consider
  • Rubber at top of shock towers
  • Ball joints
  • Boots for CV joint
  • CV Joint
  • Wheel bearings
  • Bushings for stabilizer bars if you have them
I decided to do the steering rack while I had it apart. Like a lot of things on old cars, this is a slippery slope...

Thanks Dennis... And the slpe is lined with money shredding razoe blades!!!
chrispovoas
QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Oct 4 2023, 08:17 AM) *

Before Rennsport, I did all new rubber bushings front and rear, new wheel bearings, now koni sports, 914rubber did my steering rack, turbo tie rods, new ball joints and 100lb rear springs. My BB has front and rear sway bars so they got the treatment as well. Transformed the car replacing all of that old stuff.

Click to view attachment

These are all on the "Phase 2" list as funds will allow biggrin.gif
jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(chrispovoas @ Oct 4 2023, 03:46 PM) *

QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Oct 4 2023, 08:17 AM) *

Click to view attachment

These are all on the "Phase 2" list as funds will allow biggrin.gif

The slippery slope bit me hard with this car. It started out as a refresh of the fuel system and soft brake lines. It ended up with a complete suspension refresh, new fuel tank and lines, new vacuum lines, new Bowlsby wiring harnesses, calipers to PMB with new soft lines, new clutch, some hard brake lines replaced, a Tangerine firewall bushing kit and some stuff I'm probably forgetting........
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.