Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What does a 914 really lack?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwade
Driving around with a cup of coffee (OK, it was a venti latte...this IS SoCal after all)
I longed again for that most marvelous invention of the U.S. auto industry...

the cup holder! smilie_pokal.gif

What have any of you done to rectify the situation?

I have a spare ash tray and a dremmel tool but it seems that there is not
enough room.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. pray.gif

john
Bleyseng
personally, I think 914's lack a 3.2L six.

Geoff
jwade
that goes without saying!

john
airsix
> the cup holder! What have any of you done to rectify the situation?

The best cupholder solution I ever saw was in Phil Haun's v6 conversion car. He had these really nice cup holders mounted to the door panels. When not in use they folded up flat against the door and only stood out about 3/8". They matched the door panel color well and did not look at all out of place. He said he got them at a boat shop.

-Ben M.
Alfred
There was a thread about this very recently on the Pelican board. I think someone claimed there was one available from Walmart that fit perfectly. I'm trying to imagine why you'd need one in a 914, though.

Alfred
EdwardBlume
The right cup can be nestled flat on the center console. Spill it, and you're going to be cleaning in the cracks and wires though. wink.gif
Qarl
Search the archives.... already discussed. Here are some solutions...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...8&hl=cup+holder
Bruce Allert
It's called "THE WEDGE". Wallmart has them for less than $10. I saw one at another store for around $5. Actually wedges between the seat & center cushion. Holds 2, 2, 2 drinks in one! laugh.gif
(always wanted to write that) beerchug.gif
bruce
ChrisReale
My 914 lacks a driver that knows what the hell he is doing. That and a 3.2L six..... blink.gif
Alfred
Now all the 914 needs is an automatic transmission to go with the cup holder. j/k.

Alfred
Andyrew
Hey whats wrong with a cup holder? If you cant tell its there (such as the ashtray cupholder which I am trying to make for myself) then whats the big deal? Yes some people actually drive there cars ohmy.gif !

I would think that the best cupholder would either be the "wedge" if you dont really car about the looks, or the ashtray one if you care about a sleek sleeper looking interior.
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Jul 27 2003, 10:46 PM)
My 914 lacks a driver that knows what the hell he is doing. That and a 3.2L six..... blink.gif

bs.gif ya sure Chris! you had a ef'n great times out there last week clap56.gif I'd have to bring my time down 6 seconds to get close to you. I did bring my time down 11 secs. which surprised the hell outta me rolleyes.gif
I think you did great. Just more seat time as they say.
I do agree about the 3.2. Would that be a kick in da ass??? agree.gif
bruce
boxstr
Try www.rbsauto.com go to product search and type in "cup holder". Click on the cup to maximize photo and get the total scoop.
CCLINCUPHOLDERHELL
seanery
IPB Image
this is my favorite.
Bleyseng
Where is the hell is that in Indiana? Looks more like Colorado
Geoff
seanery
That's Curvie's car-so it's probably in Michigan.

When I get the white car back, I'll show you guys some nice shots you wouldn't believe were in Indiana.

Indy guys, get your cars ready!
Steve
I agree with the 3.2
The 3.2 is my 4th powerplant.
I've tried a 2.0 4 banger.
2.4 4 banger (unreliable mess)
2.7 6 banger (awesome)
The 3.2 is priceless!

I am also currently working on the cup holder issue.
After that maybe air conditioning??

Steve
Jenny
blink.gif Ben, your avatar is making me dizzy... blink.gif
Ferg
Didn't curvie pick his car up in Cali... That pic looks like 15 by barstow. I've done that drive twice in two different teeners back to colorado, and always the same construction mad.gif .
J P Stein
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 28 2003, 12:32 PM)
I agree with the 3.2
The 3.2 is my 4th powerplant.
I've tried a 2.0 4 banger.
2.4 4 banger (unreliable mess)
2.7 6 banger (awesome)
The 3.2 is priceless!

I am also currently working on the cup holder issue.
After that maybe air conditioning??

Steve

What the 914 needs is a LARGE cash infusion.
Gud to see that I'm not alone.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jul 28 2003, 12:39 PM)
Didn't curvie pick his car up in Cali... That pic looks like 15 by barstow. I've done that drive twice in two different teeners back to colorado, and always the same construction mad.gif .

Good eye Ferg! smilie_pokal.gif I don't know exactly where that was taken but I can tell by its' sequence in the pics I took, it's somewhere between SF and Ash Fork, AZ. That trip would have been brutal without a cupholder. 3000 miles in 4 days with only being able to drink at refueling stops? No Way. I made that drink holder when the ash tray was the only part of a 914 I owned. Threw it in the suitcase for the flight out to Cali.
Ferg
You got a astray/cupholder through airport scanners, you da man! laugh.gif
They questioned me about my feeler gauge and 50 cent spark plug gap tool confused24.gif
Alfred
Curvie, you answered the question that I was gonna ask about under what circumstances one would need a cupholder in their teener and the long distance drive with few rest stops was the only reasonable situation I could think of. Hey, you Yanks (and probably we Canadians) are getting fatter and there's no need for beverages while driving, IMO.

Alfred
Curvie Roadlover
You know, Alfred, I 've used it on much shorter trips, too. And if there's one think my car needs less than a drink holder it's an ashtray!!!!!!
airsix
QUOTE(Jenny @ Jul 28 2003, 12:39 PM)
blink.gif Ben, your avatar is making me dizzy... blink.gif

Ok, new less annoying avatar just for you (it was even starting to get on MY nerves).

Huh? Oh yeah... the topic. What's a 914 missing? Definitely the 3.2. Stiffer chassis is probably my next wish. A cup holder? laugh.gif No, not in my car. Ask my wife what the two rules are. She will sigh, roll her eyes and recite "Rule #1: The car is not a buffet. Rule #2: No unsecured cargo."

-Ben M.
Alfred
QUOTE(airsix @ Jul 28 2003, 03:56 PM)
Ask my wife  what the two rules are.   She will sigh, roll her eyes and recite "Rule #1: The car is not a buffet.  Rule #2: No unsecured cargo."

laugh.gif I'm sorry but that's just sexy!

Alfred
Curvie Roadlover
I'd rather have someone eat or drink in my car than smoke. When my ashtray was an ashtray, it was like tits on a bull. Now it has a purpose.
Mueller
When my 914 gets back on the road, it will have to have a cup-holder.....hot coffee on the 'nads is not a nice way to start the day blink.gif

3.2 ?? why stop there?? I guess if it's a little easier to install.............

I'm totally with you Ben, a stiffer chassis is a must....

Rule #1: The car is not a buffet

sorry, cannot agree with this one....I'm one of those people that have condiments from just about every fastfood joint in my glove box...about the only thing that should not be eaten in a car is powdered donuts, at least in a car with an all black interior and right after the wife has just cleaned and vacuumed it out smile.gif
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 28 2003, 05:22 PM)
and right after the wife has just cleaned and vacuumed it out smile.gif

Whoa!!! now that's good man.... really cool smilie_pokal.gif
I wished my wife would just drive mine! sad.gif Jest can't git'r ta doit... wouldn't be prudent idea.gif
bruce
Mike's2nd914
Two words: Galvanized steel
tod914
how about inexpensive parts
Steve
After I put in the six all the chassis plugs fell out.
At that point I installed the chassis stiffening plates.
It seems to make a diference but at the same time I replaced the shocks, bushings and installed turbo tie rods so who knows...
My 914 is like a favorite old chair or pair of shoes.
It is well lived in with cup holder, crumbs and is abused every chance I get.
I have a friend at the office that has a concours 993 that's scared to touch it or park it.
I love my 914 but what I love most about it is I don' t care about what its worth or resale value.
It's my personal hobby, money pit and torture chamber.

Steve
mightyohm
A center tunnel high enough that crap doesn't roll from the passenger side to the drivers side (under the brake pedal) on sharp turns. I hate that.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Aug 19 2003, 09:51 PM)
A center tunnel high enough that crap doesn't roll from the passenger side to the drivers side (under the brake pedal) on sharp turns. I hate that.

get a center console!
airsix
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 19 2003, 09:10 PM)
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Aug 19 2003, 09:51 PM)
A center tunnel high enough that crap doesn't roll from the passenger side to the drivers side (under the brake pedal) on sharp turns.  I hate that.

get a center console!

Or just pick the crap up off the floor. (See rule #2 cited above).
-Ben M.
mightyohm
Ok, how about "an area behind the seats to throw all that crap that you forgot to put in the front trunk before starting on that run through the hills of North County San Diego and have too much ego to pull over and stop while all the other teeners pass you"?

And no, I don't have a center console. I am pretty tall so I like having that extra space to put my foot/leg.

Oh, and my other pet peeve about the 914...
With the top off and the windows open on the freeway, you get beaten around by the wind that comes in the sides, bounces off the rear window, and hits you in the back/side of the head.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Aug 20 2003, 06:26 PM)
Oh, and my other pet peeve about the 914...
With the top off and the windows open on the freeway, you get beaten around by the wind that comes in the sides, bounces off the rear window, and hits you in the back/side of the head.

Pet peeve? I love that!!!
Qarl
DNHunt's "double" cupholder from a Subaru...
Curvie Roadlover
That cupholder sucks. cool_shades.gif laugh.gif
seanery
agree.gif

Nice try, but not a SMOG cupholder.
Steve
I forgot to mention one other thing that made my day and has been a blessing ever since.
I installed the Weltmeister heavy duty springs in the stock shifter.
After I installed the springs its beyond rare that I ever hit reverse or miss a shift.

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.