Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: harness in fuse box
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
4evyung
When I dropped the motor of my '73, I forgot to pull the harness, and all the wires pulled out of the harness. Using a Tech Manual, I was able to figure out where 6 of the 7 wires reconnect (the car was converted from fuel ignition to carbs), but can't figure out where the solid black wire goes. The harness has 11 'posts'. I have not 'traced' any of the wires to see where they go (lights, etc.). I also have a heavier gauge red wire with white stripe and a typical female connector which pulled out. Can anyone help to figure where these 2 wires connect. I also have a few wires that appear to belong in the relay/fuse box which were cut and capped (they were that way when I bought the car). It ran fine, and everything necessary electrically worked. I am a mechanical moron, but was able to put in my new motor and start it. I had to drop it again due to an oil cooler leak (that's when the wires pulled out of the harness).

I am new on this site, so hopefully I can figure out how to find any responses to this post. BTW - this is my 3rd 914. I love these cars as much as any of you out there. Bought my first ('73) in '74. It was a black beauty.

Thank you in advance for any of you that help.
Nate W
Click to view attachment

welcome.png
Hope this helps! Mine is a 71 so possible it’s not the same. This is the harness from engine to relay board
Nate
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Oct 7 2023, 08:50 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 7 2023, 07:11 AM) *

Just a related side note...

I took a picture of the body tag on the Sounato GT at Rennsport.

It doesn't have a number on it, just the paint code.

Click to view attachment

"Curiouser and curiouser!" - Alice

Was the Sonauto GT yellow at some point?

@Maltese Falcon

I am having a hard time following what you are asking. Maybe post a few photos of the estranged wires? I think you are referring to the ignition harness, the relay board and possibly the alternator harness but not sure.

welcome.png
4evyung
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Oct 8 2023, 01:19 PM) *

Click to view attachment

@Maltese Falcon

I am having a hard time following what you are asking. Maybe post a few photos of the estranged wires? I think you are referring to the ignition harness, the relay board and possibly the alternator harness but not sure.

welcome.png

Again, as a new member, unfamiliar with how to respond . . . here goes. The photo of the '71 doesn't match my wire colors, but the wiring 'placements' are very similar to what I currently have plugged in. I do not have any wires plugged into the rear 2 posts (your white, and green wires).

I'm an old man, ignorant of new technology, and doubt I'd be able to take a picture and download to this site. I will do my best to see if I can 'trace' each wire to see where it leads. Perhaps that may help. Question: Is it critical which post the wires plug into with the harness? Is there a specific order? Do you think the remaining, unknown black wire that is not plugged in is a ground? Would any ground wire be appropriate to one of these connections in the harness?

As for the 2nd 'loose' wire with a traditional electrical female connector . . . can I just plug it into any available male connector on the relay board/fuse panel? Again, this is 'box' behind the driver's seat in the engine compartment.

Again, thank you for your responses.
Mikey914
I understand the question. I'll post up a pic tomorrow.
-Mark
Nate W
The black is not a ground it’s a power wire. It definitely needs to go in the right location. I have a Haynes manual I can check later that shows the wiring for your year
914werke
Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(4evyung @ Oct 12 2023, 02:41 PM) *

Click to view attachment

@Maltese Falcon

welcome.png

Again, as a new member, unfamiliar with how to respond . . . here goes. The photo of the '71 doesn't match my wire colors, but the wiring 'placements' are very similar to what I currently have plugged in. I do not have any wires plugged into the rear 2 posts (your white, and green wires).

I'm an old man, ignorant of new technology, and doubt I'd be able to take a picture and download to this site. I will do my best to see if I can 'trace' each wire to see where it leads. Perhaps that may help. Question: Is it critical which post the wires plug into with the harness? Is there a specific order? Do you think the remaining, unknown black wire that is not plugged in is a ground? Would any ground wire be appropriate to one of these connections in the harness?

As for the 2nd 'loose' wire with a traditional electrical female connector . . . can I just plug it into any available male connector on the relay board/fuse panel? Again, this is 'box' behind the driver's seat in the engine compartment.

This should help with the electrical connections on the relay board.

IPB Image
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(4evyung @ Oct 8 2023, 10:40 AM) *

-my '73
-can't figure out where the solid black wire goes.
-The harness has 11 'posts'
-I also have a heavier gauge red wire with white stripe and a typical female connector which pulled out. Can anyone help to figure where these 2 wires connect.
-I also have a few wires that appear to belong in the relay/fuse box which were cut and capped (they were that way when I bought the car).

To your questions:

While the 914's relay boards are the same, the ignition harnesses are different. There are some inaccuracies above due to differences in the ignition harnesses between model years.

The 914 engine bay relay board has a connection with 11 male pins molded into the board, which mates to a female 12 position connector housing on the ignition harness, which serves the ignition coil, oil temp sensor, Aux Air Regulator (for D-Jet FI cars), the starter motor and back-up light switch on the transaxle.

The 1973 ignition harness does not have a black wire. It has a thin black/purple and a thicker black/red wire. Look carefully for the color stripes and follow the schematic above.

There is no red/white wire in any 914 ignition harness so it must be for something else.

The schematic above indicates its for 1973 but at least the ignition harness portion of it is not complete. What is missing is the short solid green jumper wire that bridges female 'pins' 10 and 11 for the heater fan in the harness connector housing.

The "few wires that appear to belong in the relay/fuse box which were cut and capped" does not give enough information to help you out.

Photos would be great if you have someone tech-savvy available to show you how to post them here.

welcome.png
76-914
QUOTE(4evyung @ Oct 12 2023, 12:41 PM) *

Click to view attachment

@Maltese Falcon

welcome.png

FWIW, most of us are Old Men. lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.