Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifting issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ILM914
Hi folks while out last night in my 1974 2.0 the shifting got vague then after a while I only had 1-3 gears - no 4th and 5th. Any Ideas what I need to fix? I haven't put it up yet to look at the linkage Thank you , Joe
AZ914
It is very likely the 'firewall bushing' that the shift rod runs though. It should be covered by a rubber sleeve.. pull that back and inspect. Good idea to check the bushings on the transmission end as well.
Shivers
Side shift, as said has the two bushings. It also has that coupler where the two shift rods come together. I believe that 914 rubber has the rebuild kit for that coupler and probably the bushings too. Check the cone screws for tightness, a little slack there could keep you out of 4th and 5th. Come to think of it, at the bottom of the shifter there is a clamp and bolt that if it comes loose it could jump a spline or two and cause a problem. Most of that is cheap and easy to check.
bzettner
That happened to my ‘73 1.7 a few years back. I found the cone screw at the firewall had backed out a few threads and 4th & 5th were effected…
Spoke
QUOTE(bzettner @ Oct 9 2023, 10:35 AM) *

That happened to my ‘73 1.7 a few years back. I found the cone screw at the firewall had backed out a few threads and 4th & 5th were effected…

@ILM914

I just tightened that cone screw for the 2nd time last night. Shifting got real vague and the screw was very loose. Same with the cone screw at the trans linkage. That one was loose too.
windforfun
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Oct 9 2023, 07:04 AM) *

It is very likely the 'firewall bushing' that the shift rod runs though. It should be covered by a rubber sleeve.. pull that back and inspect. Good idea to check the bushings on the transmission end as well.

agree.gif

BTDT. If you have to replace the firewall bushing & use a new nylon one, you can cut the wall of the bushing at 45 degrees & then slip it over the shift rod without having to remove the rod.
Ottomotion
I just had this exact problem.
I had replace all of the bushings EXCEPT the coupler bushings.
Sure enough, went to go to Cars n Coffee saturday and no 4-5 gears.
Put it up in the air and coupler bushing was totally shot.

I had them since I ordered the kit from pelican. Easy 30 min job.

Good luck

https://youtu.be/C0I5HOBvQbg?si=XeqBBXpOm06h8Dwj
ILM914
Thank you guys took the shift rod off today. no firewall bushing there and coupler bashing complete disintergrated. ordered the firewall and coupler bushes from pelican. is there a inside the car to too on a 73? thank you again guys
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ILM914 @ Oct 9 2023, 07:12 PM) *

Thank you guys took the shift rod off today. no firewall bushing there and coupler bashing complete disintergrated. ordered the firewall and coupler bushes from pelican. is there a inside the car to too on a 73? thank you again guys

There are bushings in the base of the shifter that need replaced, plus the reverse lockout plate. The plate wears and needs replaced after 50+ years.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.