Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: Bent steering shaft out of wrecked car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Shivers
Hi guys! Like the title says, I need just three and a half inches off the end of a bent steering rod. Building some shift rods using the factory steering u-joints. If you can help me out that would be awesome. Please let me know what it will take to make it happen as I can not find the last one I had. sad.gif Thanks

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
You can buy those splined pieces online. Pretty reasonable price.
Shivers
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 12 2023, 08:56 AM) *

You can buy those splined pieces online. Pretty reasonable price.

Thanks. I did look and saw one for 25.- plus shipping, but all the others were 100. plus. I’m just looking for an end or if you do not have a way to cut it, I’ll take the whole bent rod. I have so much work to do before I can measure and weld in this last end. Heck it took me a year to rebuild and do the mods on my shifter. I do not get much time but I like my ducks in a row. So no hurry, if you bump into one and think about throwing it away, think about me please. Besides I have a Karen Carpenter budget huh.gif
burton73
Not that I have one for you but, this picture shows steering shaft going to the rack. One is 914 and one is 911. I do not know what I am going to be doing with them, but you should find one from some old screwed up rack.

Best and good luck, I hope that this may help you.

Bob B
Click to view attachment
MLedesma
I know I have at least one. PM sent

Montreal914
You'll like this mod. driving.gif

Do the rear end too! smile.gif
Shivers
Thanks for the replies I have one coming piratenanner.gif
Shivers
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Oct 12 2023, 06:19 PM) *

You'll like this mod. driving.gif

Do the rear end too! smile.gif

Cool, can’t wait. Yup, doing the back too. I’ve been stirring stew in my 72’ tail shifter for a long time. I’m one step closer and only a couple small parts away.
Al Meredith
The short steering rod is connected to the ZF box and is a 911 the longer rod is for a 914 . If anyone out there knows the difference between a ZF and a 914 box please let me know . all the outer dimensions are the same . I have three of each and am going to a swap meet next week and would like to know the difference between them AL
Shivers
I’m pretty sure they used zf racks in 914s too. I was reading at 914rubber about their rack rebuild service and it sure sounded to me that there was a couple racks used on 914s

https://914rubber.com/steering-rack-type-c-rebuild-service
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.