Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help!! I'm getting frustrated!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rotary'14
Hi folks,, I put the rotary narp on the back-burner because I couldn't resist a '74 signal orange 1.8 914 that was on sale on evil-bay. The car has dual 40 IDFs on there, the PO told me all it needed was for the carbs to be synched. These carbs were supposed to be rebuilt. I borrowed my friend's flow meter to adjust the carbs but then I notice that there are no air horns to put the flow meter on. Upon closer inspection it seems like one of the carbs is leaking from the throttle shaft! (I can see gas seapage and puddle) But I'm not 100% sure this is the source of my leak. Any others out there encounter something like this? I bought some rebuild kits and air horns for my carbs, but I read in another thread that the throttle shaft seals are not included in a typical rebuild kit. Anybody know the shaft seal part #? Is there a work-around for this problem?

If my carb is trash, should I spend the $$ on another carb, or should I attempt to locate the missing FI parts that I need for my 1.8L? Since I already have a MegaSquirt built, I believe all I would need would be,,,

stock intake pipes with injectors (that would fit my 1.8)
stock plenum with throttle body (any suggestions on rigging up a TPS?)
stock air filter box and hose
stock 914 FI fuel pump (or any FI pump)
GM IAT sensor

Any members have any of the above in their "extra parts" boxes?

So that's the situation,, I have a "fresh" teener that I bought a little over a month ago, that I have barely driven. sad.gif

Should I fix the carb, or should I just grit my teeth and go FI?
I really thought I'd be puttin around town by now,,,,

Any suggestions are welcome.
Aaron Cox
carb cam or FI cam installed?
lapuwali
There's shouldn't be any fuel leaking from the throttle shaft, as it's difficult for fuel to get there. Certainly, there shouldn't be so much you can see a drip. You CAN have air leaks past the throttle shaft bearings, though. It's more likely you're leaking fuel from either the accelerator pump or the fuel inlet and the fuel is simply running down the body and dripping off the shaft. Rebuild kits should come with new pump diaphrams (they also act as the cover's gasket), and the fuel inlet just uses a simple fiber washer.

It's very easy to pinch the accelerator pump diaphram while installing it, so the PO may have "rebuilt" them, but botched the install of that part. The pinch will cause a major leak.

All that said, I'd slap on the MS if you're game to hunt up the parts. Any D-Jet or L-Jet setup for a 914 should do you. You can sell the complete carb setup for $200-300 on Ebay and use that to buy the EFI parts. You could also be really adventuresome and fit injector bungs into the Weber manifolds, and use the Webers as throttle bodies. With MS, you can run w/o a TPS using the "MAPdot" mode.

Carb or FI cam won't matter if you use MS...
Mueller
no help on the carbs (I thought it was a bushing for the throttle, not seals)

for the fuel injection, it's fairly easy to adapt a new TPS to the stock throttle body:

stock TPS:
user posted image
Modified stock bracket:
user posted image
New TPS mounted:
user posted image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.