Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: making a GT muffler from an old banana muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
I have an old banana mufller I would like to put the two GT outlets into... idea.gif
Where should I put the outlets, and what size should they be. I am putting in a small bore six smile.gif
Cairo94507
Hi Pete- I would think 2.5" pipes would be about right; do you want the traditional GT look or the newer GT style with the pipes close together? beerchug.gif
mb911
GT 3 look is my vote 2.5” is what these areClick to view attachment
sixaddict
Ben
I want to piggy back on this question….he said small bore six. Does the 2.5 still hold…..as headers vary based on bore.
I was under impression too large a pipe may not provide sufficient back pressure.
May not change your answer …..but just want to confirm.
Thanks
Cairo94507
@mb911 - That muffler looks awesome and I bet it sounds good too. beerchug.gif
pete-stevers
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 12 2023, 03:58 PM) *

Hi Pete- I would think 2.5" pipes would be about right; do you want the traditional GT look or the newer GT style with the pipes close together? beerchug.gif

I think the original GT spacing would be preferred. Although close together looks great as well!
sixnotfour
old article how to...
Ottomotion
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 13 2023, 11:49 AM) *

old article how to...

Neat modification
I assume this can be done similarly to the 4 Cyl Banana muffler for those of us who can afford a muffler mod but not a 6 yet?
Backpressure probably an issue....
Literati914
I also planned this mod some time ago and haven’t gotten to it yet.. I was thinking that if the sound level is greater than desired, I should be able to add aftermarket sound baffle inserts (like are used with motorcycle exhausts to quiet them) into the two exit pipes. Perhaps that would add back pressure too, if found to be beneficial. Just a thought.

Chris914n6
^^ there is nothing quiet about a sport muffler and with the car I was in, it got really loud between 3,000-3,500 RPM.
mb911
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Oct 13 2023, 04:49 AM) *

Ben
I want to piggy back on this question….he said small bore six. Does the 2.5 still hold…..as headers vary based on bore.
I was under impression too large a pipe may not provide sufficient back pressure.
May not change your answer …..but just want to confirm.
Thanks

I run a tail pipe blocked off to keep it tame and works well for my 2.4 with 993 heat exchangers
Literati914
Regarding high decibels.. since the body has to be cut open to make changes anyway - is there a modern muffler packing product that could be added before closing it up? Why is steel wool coming to mind screwy.gif confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.