Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steve Wong chip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
Not to steal a thread about a very nice 3.6 that mentions the chip conversion. I have a 1985 3.2 using stock fuel injection with headers. Would the chip conversion produce a noticeable effect? Would I really notice a difference? Right now I get about 30 mpg, and to quote Mr Murray, so I have that going for me; which is nice. Maybe this isn’t the place to ask, but it is where I feel at home.
live free & drive
Maybe try Sal Carceller's chip/system - you can usually find him on Pelican if he's still doing it.

He provides a custom chip with new fuel injectors or you can add a MAF systems. I think you'll notice a great difference in driveability. He will also fix your aging Motronic system to begin with.
Steve
I’m running the Steve Wong chip in my 3.2. Huge difference. It was boggy through the RPM range. With the chip it felt like webers on my 2.7. Adding the M&K 2 in 2 out muffler made my car sound like the race cars at Rennsport
Steve
I also heard good things about Sal’s kit, but chose to upgrade to a 3.6 with Steve Wong chip.
burton73
All I can say is I went over to Steve Wong’s house 22 years ago and he programed a chip for me for my 86 Carrera 3.2, and there was a noticeable difference on the seat of pants performance. The problem that I had was it wouldn't pass smog in California, so I had to keep going back and changing it every few years that's kind of a pain, so I decided to just pass on it and I sold the chip. It was very close to passing but as they say no cigar.

It pulled better all over the RPM range. On our 914 the smog devils are not a problem innless you have a conversion on a 76 model 914

I think it is and Steve Wong agreed that to try to get more performance out of the 3.2 it would cost a lot of money for intake products and would seem like a lot of money invested with out a big boost like his chips.

I think that you will be very happy with the mod chip in the 3.2 factory injection.

Best Bob B

driving.gif
Cairo94507
I have a Steve Wong custom chip for my '87 3.2 with 964 cams and Ben's SS heat exchangers. It made a very nice difference across the board. Worth the money in my opinion. beerchug.gif
NARP74
I discovered this site from an engine stand thread here. He is the Zalex guy, run stand parts. He goes through a lot of 3.2 stuff in his vids and he talks about chips, passing smog in CA and the F9 tech motronic upgrade.

https://www.youtube.com/@GarageTimeAutoResto/videos

https://www.ftech9.com/
SirAndy
Think about it this way, the stock chip for both the 3.2 and 3.6 were programmed for a car that is 1000+ lbs heavier than the 914 and uses a flywheel/clutch package twice the weight.
There's lots to be gained from re-chip-ing when putting one of those motors into a 914.

I have the Steve Wong chip in my 3.6L. While i can't directly compare (the engine came with the chip already in it), i can tell you that the pull through the rpm range is incredible.
driving.gif
mepstein
If you don't want to buy the SW chip, get a later 3.2 factory chip. Porsche made small changes through the years and the later chips are the best. The SW chip just pushes the engine timing, rpm and some other parameters to the edge so you have to be a bit more careful with fuel octane, pre ignition, engine temp, etc. Porsche built a bit more safety into their chips than what you can get aftermarket.
scallyk9
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 14 2023, 05:33 AM) *

I have a Steve Wong custom chip for my '87 3.2 with 964 cams and Ben's SS heat exchangers. It made a very nice difference across the board. Worth the money in my opinion. beerchug.gif

Agreed. I have the same setup on my 3.2L from an '87 Carrera plus Ben's SS two out muffler. Although the original chip was a generic with unknown programming, I could feel the difference with the SW chip.

General note: The 84 - 86 and 87 -89 chips are physically different with the 87 - 89 chips having more pins to match the different ECUs. Be sure to specify if purchasing.
SirAndy
QUOTE(scallyk9 @ Oct 14 2023, 11:48 AM) *
Be sure to specify if purchasing.

agree.gif

Forgot to mention, but make sure you let him know that the engine is going into a 914.
He has different maps for 914 applications.
shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.