Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did All 914s come with side markers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jackspratt
Wondering if all 914s had the side markers as standard. Or did some not?
mate914
QUOTE(jackspratt @ Oct 14 2023, 09:11 PM) *

Not originally, The United States had rules how high marker lights and parking lights were mounted, maybe based off of Cal...
Porsche changed the car for US market.

Maybe someone with more info can chime in.

Matt flag.gif
Rand
Depends on the year. All later ones did.
Shivers
I could not find the picture, but it shows the factory and train cars and 914s for different markets. It was easy to spot the cars bound for North America, the warts are present.
JeffBowlsby
It’s my understanding that US vehicle safety laws required the sidemarkers for the US market 914s, because the front turn/parking lights were insufficiently visible when looking at the 914 from the side. For Japan market cars, the sidemarkers function as turn signals and have a different lense than the US version lenses.
porschetub
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 15 2023, 01:35 PM) *

Depends on the year. All later ones did.

Holy s#it you are back ? .
jackspratt
Great info. What'll do is see if these were blocked off or other. It's a 73 originally from California and I'm thinking just blocked off. Need to investigate more.
bkrantz
Mine did, but not anymore. biggrin.gif
Lockwodo
Looks better sans warts.
Dave_Darling
All of the US-spec 914s had side markers. Ones for Japan and maybe Italy also did, at least for some years. I think.

AFAIK, none of the "European spec" 914s had them.

It's a fairly popular mod to shave them off of US-spec cars, because a lot of people don't like the way they look. (Hence the nickname "warts" for them.)

--DD
sb914
QUOTE(Shivers @ Oct 14 2023, 06:51 PM) *

I could not find the picture, but it shows the factory and train cars and 914s for different markets. It was easy to spot the cars bound for North America, the warts are present.
here you go !
Click to view attachment
76-914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 15 2023, 09:15 PM) *

All of the US-spec 914s had side markers. Ones for Japan and maybe Italy also did, at least for some years. I think.

AFAIK, none of the "European spec" 914s had them.

It's a fairly popular mod to shave them off of US-spec cars, because a lot of people don't like the way they look. (Hence the nickname "warts" for them.)

--DD

The Italian lens' were different too. I have one; broke its mate. sad.gif They have a very small arrow on the bottom pointing forward. The refracting is slightly different. beerchug.gif

dr914@autoatlanta.com
all USA cars, all Japanese cars, no european issue 914s

QUOTE(jackspratt @ Oct 14 2023, 06:11 PM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.