Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Line Routing - question routing under rockers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
if i went under the rockers...how do i get it into this passage?
user posted image
go in through the inner fender?? like this?
user posted image
and through that void....and into the trunk like this?
user posted image

keep in mid...up the passenger side via -10 lines from a mocal sandwich adapter...
have heat currently....so would like to run up under the rocker panels....
how would one cover up the lines in the cockpit by the passengers feet?
as seen here???
user posted image
Jeroen
why don't you route the lines farther forward on the outside?
like on the 911, where the line just follows the wheelarch inside the fender
Then you can go into the trunk in front of the front wheels...

(just an idea)
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Aug 18 2005, 03:07 PM)
why don't you route the lines farther forward on the outside?
like on the 911, where the line just follows the wheelarch inside the fender
Then you can go into the trunk in front of the front wheels...

(just an idea)

was just thinking of doing just that.
use some "padded hose clamps" and go in through there.

id have to buy some 45 degree fittings i think to make that tight bend into that void though.... (more money idea.gif )

AND... the lines could encounter road debrit and rocks because they are exposed in the fenderwell.

brant
Aaron,

yeah.. what Jeroen said.
no pictures sorry..
but on my old car we ran the lines under the rocker... into the front fender... up the inner fender until they cut through near the gas tank cap...

then under the tank and through the front firewall.. then into the cooler.

we fabricated a plastic inner fender liner that protects the lines from stones. Kinda like those fender liners that they sold for a while. Except ours is only on the back part of that one fender.

We did it originally to avoid running oil lines in the cockpit at all. We were originally scarred that hot oil could burn the driver in an accident.

brant
McMark
I would go in somewhere here, that'll avoid cutting into the front edge of the long. I don't like the idea of cutting a rather large hole in both sides of the main support member for your car. Another idea, similar to what's mentioned before would be to route it up to the top of the fender, over the wheel arch, back down and go in under the headlight bucket. This way you just have oil lines "magically" appearing from under your headlights. wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (McMark @ Aug 18 2005, 06:49 PM)
I don't like the idea of cutting a rather large hole in both sides of the main support member for your car.

you mean like those 3 BIG gaping oval holes the factory cut into the inside part of the longs and plugged them with a piece of tar-paper?

idea.gif Andy
flesburg
Because of concern over the possibility of a broken oil line in an accident or from something hitting it outside the tub or in a wheel well, I ran my oil lines through the firewall, at the detents, and then along the center tunnel, into the area below the gas tank and then into the front trunk. I insulated the lines inside the cockpit, and they were covered with carpet for several years, before we lightened the interior last winter. They were not too hot.
Evill Ed
I just ran a set on 914-6 that I am building, check the pics out at http://community.webshots.com/album/322047086DfpRBF

Ed
McMark
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Aug 18 2005, 05:58 PM)
QUOTE (McMark @ Aug 18 2005, 06:49 PM)
I don't like the idea of cutting a rather large hole in both sides of the main support member for your car.

you mean like those 3 BIG gaping oval holes the factory cut into the inside part of the longs and plugged them with a piece of tar-paper?

idea.gif Andy

Yeah, the ones that the factory stamped a reinforcement around.
John2kx
These are a/c lines but same method could be used if your wanting to follow rockers and through fenders.

John
Jeroen
nice job Ed!

how do you like those lines?
jonwatts
John, what color is that? Black? Chrome?

I think it's interesting that nobody is mentioning running the oil lines under the car in the manner that Renegade says is "just fine" for coolant lines.
914werke
John thats a wierd Pic wacko.gif it took me a few to figure out I was focusing on the reflection on the door panel biggrin.gif I was also going to chime in that this is the same as the most of the AC intallations Ive ever seen, the only caveot is that you have to penetrate the door jam bulkhead on the pass side as its not relief'ed like the Drvs side for the Charcoal canister lines. Do it right or Rust City ....Ask me how I know. wacko.gif
ClayPerrine
That's a suggestion. On the left side of the 73 and earlier cars there were the charcoal canister lines. Just follow the routing for them. They terminate in the front trunk next to the gas tank. Then run them forward along the wheel arch until them reach your cooler.

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Aug 19 2005, 08:51 AM)
That's a suggestion. On the left side of the 73 and earlier cars there were the charcoal canister lines. Just follow the routing for them. They terminate in the front trunk next to the gas tank. Then run them forward along the wheel arch until them reach your cooler.

I have to go up the passenger side.

tapping from a mocal sandwhich plate... and i WONT have enuff line to go up the left side....
McMarks idea is the best thus far....no cockpit portrusion, and hidden into the void....

AA
SLITS
Geeeezzzz...budding civil/mechanical/?? engineers give me gas. This ain't brain surgery.... otta the wheel house thru the rockers into the wheel house to the cooler..minimal elevation changes to avoid trapped air in the system. Fabricate a plate of aluminum for exposed lines an pop rivit to the body.

Oh...and acquire a chassis punch for holes to make them nice and clean.
BMartin914
And then wrap the oil lines under the suspension arm?

I am preparing to do this either this weekend or the next. Original plan was to run the lines in the rocker through the heater tube ala Brad and SirAndy, but AAron's thread got me thinking about running the lines outside to retain my heat on the pass side.

I am concerned about the lines around the suspension arm - looking for a tidier method (if one exists) of getting the lines out of the rocker in the rear. Seems too vulnerable otherwise. I'd be much more concerned with loose lines there than exposed lines in the pass footwell.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (BMartin914 @ Aug 19 2005, 09:44 AM)
And then wrap the oil lines under the suspension arm?

I am preparing to do this either this weekend or the next. Original plan was to run the lines in the rocker through the heater tube ala Brad and SirAndy, but AAron's thread got me thinking about running the lines outside to retain my heat on the pass side.

I am concerned about the lines around the suspension arm - looking for a tidier method (if one exists) of getting the lines out of the rocker in the rear. Seems too vulnerable otherwise. I'd be much more concerned with loose lines there than exposed lines in the pass footwell.

suspension arm in the rear?

there is lots of roomn to go in ABOVE the long inside the fenderwell...

you can go up into the fender basically at the door jamb....
wilchek
check this out, how the 914-6gt ran the lines

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/factory_origin...rts_brass_lines
RON S.
I wish I knew,how to combine pics in a single block,but heres how I tackled my problem
1st pic is the hose routing. Less any covering.
My lines are -16 running both ways.

RON S.
I fab'd up an aluminum shield,as in the pic

Evill Ed
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Aug 19 2005, 06:35 AM)
nice job Ed!

how do you like those lines?

Thanks.

I like them alot. They flex and work easier than the the braided steel. They perform really well, we used them on alot of the track cars at the shop I worked at. I really like this stuff for CIS repairs and mods. The -4 size fits onto the metal ends of the factory supply and return lines. This makes custom mounting the fuel pump, accumulator and filter much easier.

Ed
BMartin914
Does any cutting need to be done on the rocker panel if you run the lines along the longitudinal? There doesn't appear to be any sort of gap to run the lines out of the fenderwell.
Marv's3.6six
Hey Aaron why do you have to go up the passenger side? huh.gif

I have mine figured out, gonna do it like Joroen sez, except oil lines are goin thru where the radio antenna wire enters the front trunk in the wheel well wall, then tween the tank and the strut mount and then thru the inner trunk wall in front of the gas tank, to the cooler.
My car is at paint right now, 5 weeks til assembly starts. smile.gif

Wait a second I jus' thought of somethin....are you goin to do a six conversion? OR are you puttin a front cooler on a type four? Can a type four push all that extra oil around? I don't think they have a high velocity dry sump pump like a 911 motor? Watchu doin? blink.gif
redshift
Aaron, fuck the passenger. Havbe them hold the lines off the carpet, you dont want to scortch it with your high temps

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.