Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Parts Pricing Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GregAmy
I've got an autocrosser buddy who's looking to sell off some parts. They have a /6 (C Mod?) and the family is looking to sell off a rather large collection of accumulated parts.

Now, I know we all hate these thread; I do, too. What I'm actually hoping for is that someone will see this list and DM or email me (grega at pobox com) a solid reasonable price list she should ask for these. Even better, maybe someone wants to make an offer on the whole lot ( @mepstein , you're nearby...?) She lives near Harrisburg PA.

What I really don't want is argumentatation and debate. If it gets ugly I'll just kill the thread...I know, I know, I know, but I'm just looking to provide some guidance on this. And I have no vested interest in this as I'm not taking a cut...truly just trying to help a friend.

The hardest part for me is avoiding buying all this stuff myself...

Guidance appreciated. - GA

1970 Porsche 914 Shifter
1970 Porsche 914/6 Crankshaft
1970 Porsche 914/6 Engine Shroud (2)
84mm pistons (6)
85 mm pistons (6) and barrels (5)
Clutch disk
Clutch Pressure Plate
Distributor
Early 911/912 Clutch Fork (2)
Intermediate Shaft
JE Series 96 wrist pin (1)
KONI Shocks (rebuildable)
Megaphone supports
Mom Racing Steering Wheel - 10"
Oil Cooler
Oil pickup tubes (2)
Oil Pressure Relief Piston
Oil pump (2)
Pair of 6-cylinder Porsche Carburetor Rain Hats, flat finish
Pair of 6-cylinder Porsche Carburetor Rain Hats, textured finish
Pair of mufflers
Porsche 901 A Gear
Porsche 901 Gear F2
Porsche 901 Gear F3
Porsche 901 gearbox open differential
Porsche 901 KA Gearset
Porsche 901 N Gear (3)
Porsche 901 Transmission side plate (3)
Porsche 901 V Gear (2)
Porsche 901 V Gearset
Porsche 901 Z Gear
Porsche 901 ZB Gear (2)
Sump Cover (2)
Sump Screen
Temperature sender (2)
Trumpets (3 sets of 6)
930cabman
$3.k
rudedude
I probably have most of what is listed and I would love to get 3K for them.
Superhawk996
I’m sort of clueless on trans gear pricing (some sets are outrageous) and what’s desirable for racing but personally I can’t see $3k there for used parts unless someone needs all of it and is willing to pay top dollar for all of it since not stated NOS or new, I’m assuming all are used or undocumented lightly used parts?

The crankshaft is probably the most valuable thing there? And I’d be assuming it needs to be reground, heat treated, etc and that isn’t cheap. Plus it’s a 2.0l so unless someone building a stock 2.0l /6 where is the demand? Not cheap to have crank work done.

Oil cooler - I see it as used / questionable / contaminated / potentially leaks - at least $120 to clean and test one last time I had one done. Given it’s $10k-$15k to rebuild a /6 I’m not likely to be reusing oil coolers though lots of folks do.

Unmatched pistons & cylinders represent a liability to me (my opinion) and when rebuilding an engine I’m far more likely to just replace with new parts. The exception might be if all are Mahle and in exceptional condition and were labeled matched so parts aren’t just all mixed up (ie basket case engine).

Oil pumps? 3 rib early pumps I assume? Most folks are looking for the later 4-rib aluminum Carrera pumps. And loose pickup tubes? Those aren’t usually seperated from pumps so I’m sort of assuming pumps have been disassembled / modified for racing use?

Koni shocks - sure they are rebuildable but that costs as much as a new pair so unless some one is an old Koni red fanatic - where’s the money?

Not trying to be overly negative but to get top dollar it all needs to be “parted out” and sold piece by piece. I honestly could use probably use at least 1/2 the parts there and I wouldn’t go more than $1k for a lot like that sight unsen - pictures might change that by 50% on the up side?

Just an opinion from a cheap bastard.
mepstein
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 19 2023, 09:13 AM) *

I’m sort of clueless on trans gear pricing (some sets are outrageous) and what’s desirable for racing but personally I can’t see $3k there for used parts unless someone needs all of it and is willing to pay top dollar for all of it since not stated NOS or new, I’m assuming all are used or undocumented lightly used parts?

The crankshaft is probably the most valuable thing there? And I’d be assuming it needs to be reground, heat treated, etc and that isn’t cheap. Plus it’s a 2.0l so unless someone building a stock 2.0l /6 where is the demand? Not cheap to have crank work done.

Oil cooler - I see it as used / questionable / contaminated / potentially leaks - at least $120 to clean and test one last time I had one done. Given it’s $10k-$15k to rebuild a /6 I’m not likely to be reusing oil coolers though lots of folks do.

Unmatched pistons & cylinders represent a liability to me (my opinion) and when rebuilding an engine I’m far more likely to just replace with new parts. The exception might be if all are Mahle and in exceptional condition and were labeled matched so parts aren’t just all mixed up (ie basket case engine).

Oil pumps? 3 rib early pumps I assume? Most folks are looking for the later 4-rib aluminum Carrera pumps. And loose pickup tubes? Those aren’t usually seperated from pumps so I’m sort of assuming pumps have been disassembled / modified for racing use?

Koni shocks - sure they are rebuildable but that costs as much as a new pair so unless some one is an old Koni red fanatic - where’s the money?

Not trying to be overly negative but to get top dollar it all needs to be “parted out” and sold piece by piece. I honestly could use probably use at least 1/2 the parts there and I wouldn’t go more than $1k for a lot like that sight unsen - pictures might change that by 50% on the up side?

Just an opinion from a cheap bastard.

I think Phil is on point.
gereed75
Everything I am about to say here you probably already know, but maybe one more opinion will help your buddy make a decision.

There are some pieces here that have some value to a very limited market:

Engine shrouds.
Mufflers
Oil cooler
Gears

All could be sold over time for "top dollar" on here or Pelican with clean up/pictures etc etc - you know the deal. In the end that might net $2000. The rest would make a fun day giving it all away at the spring Carlisle swap, maybe netting another $1000 if lucky. At least maybe half of it gets back in the community that way. Then you give away or scrap the rest

Just not a lot of value in this kind of small hoard any more.
sixnotfour
agree.gif
GregAmy
Quick follow up. This should probavbly get moved to anothe appropriate sub-forum, but based on the feedback here I recommended she leverage eBay to part it all out.

Here's a link to her...channel? store? and she offered to me that if anyone here is looking for something specific from her list that she has not listed on eBay, I can send to you via PM her contact info.

Thanks for your patience. - Greg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.