Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New product from 914locks.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
First prototype. Going into production next week.

Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
Any pics ?
TheCabinetmaker
Pic was there but didn't show up. Fixed it
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Oct 25 2023, 08:12 PM) *

Click to view attachment

what is different about it ? what is the improvement? confused24.gif

help us understand why the new part is better or what it fixes.
I have a '75, so i am curious. I had to replace my switch this year again...
76-914
popcorn[1].gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 26 2023, 07:58 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Nothing new or better. It's the black surround. I am not making new switches. I need them for my lock service. Just making them available, as I've not found them anywhere. Are the replacement switches your using Porsche, or VW? If you've found a source for real 914 switches, please share with the rest of us.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Oct 26 2023, 10:22 AM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 26 2023, 07:58 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Nothing new or better. It's the black surround. I am not making new switches. I need them for my lock service. Just making them available, as I've not found them anywhere. Are the replacement switches your using Porsche, or VW? If you've found a source for real 914 switches, please share with the rest of us.

good to know -
regarding the switches, i ordered 4 or 5 of them, the only one i got that iwas german is Meyle one. ordered it 6 months ago from Germany. The Bilistein one i got says made in china as did some Porsche ones some one posted recently.
There was a Brazilian made one that i would assume to be Brazillian VW. and i thing the Standard Motor Products one i think came from Germany as well,

so MEYLE was german marked no china markings.

https://partworks.de/en-en-en-partworks-de-...ion-switch.html

https://www.vertexauto.com/porsche-ignition...yle-p-3734.aspx

vertex says brand is Meyle, $6, not sure, i belive i got mine from Partsworks.de, and it is german.
TheCabinetmaker
@drphil
Were the supplied keys red Porsche keys, or round black keys?
TheCabinetmaker
@Dr. Phil , those links are the electrical portion of the switch. My post is about the black plastic trim piece on the key switch, as pictured.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Oct 26 2023, 01:08 PM) *

@Dr. Phil , those links are the electrical portion of the switch. My post is about the black plastic trim piece on the key switch, as pictured.

Sorry, i thought you were asking about the electric portion when you asked about it being german or not, you did say switch, so sorry for the confusion didnt mean to hijack your thread. Im not sure about the trim ring you have available , if they have them or not but good to know mine s a bit beat up for sure! I'd like to get one please, and thankyou.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
factory part number is 111 837 230
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 26 2023, 02:23 PM) *

factory part number is 111 837 230

That# comes up as a VW key cover. confused24.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 26 2023, 12:19 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Oct 26 2023, 01:08 PM) *

Sorry, i thought you were asking about the electric portion when you asked about it being german or not, you did say switch, so sorry for the confusion didnt mean to hijack your thread. Im not sure about the trim ring you have available , if they have them or not but good to know mine s a bit beat up for sure! I'd like to get one please, and thankyou.

I put you on the list. I'll contact you after I have them in my hand.
76-914
I need one Curt
Chris H.
I read somewhere the key switches for 75-76 were from the VW Rabbit. Would be very hard to find that surround elsewhere since most Rabbits have rusted away or been recycled.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 27 2023, 08:37 AM) *

I read somewhere the key switches for 75-76 were from the VW Rabbit. Would be very hard to find that surround elsewhere since most Rabbits have rusted away or been recycled.

Actually, the steering lock came from Audi. The key switches in 75 and after were used on rabbits, beetles, and busses, but the key cylinder on the 914 is unique as it uses the Porsche key.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 26 2023, 04:42 PM) *

I need one Curt

You're on the list!
TheCabinetmaker
They have arrived. Final price worked out to $11.00 each shipped in the US.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.