Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doug Arnao Run-off 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gms
A couple years ago while knee deep in my house remodeling project this outstanding 914 race car came to auction with no reserve. I thought this might be a perfect chance to build a GT-3 SCCA racer so here I go!

Bring A Trailer Auction

Click to view attachment
gms
Doug had a great history with the car finishing as high as 3rd in 1989

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
gms
Hari Matsuda bought the car in the 1990s turned it into a roadster and added a radical custom body. He raced the car in PCA for many years.

Click to view attachment
GregAmy
IT'S A TRAP!!! lol

I remember that car from the 90s (I race in New England Region). "026" is Northern New Jersey Region, I can inquire from my buddies if they have any history on it (I'm a tech inspector and steward, too).

Unless you have an affinity for keeping it original, you might look into running it open-top.

Which engine are you going to run? All the six-bangers in GT3 run a 33mm SIR. Weight is all the same, regardless of engine. Might just need to find out which engine works best with the SIR.

Good luck, and keep us posted in The Paddock forum on your progress.
gms
Hari then decided to turn the car into a Boxster with a 3.6L. In 2017 he decided to sell the car and somehow it ended up with Don Ramsay at Air Cooled Classics in Knoxville TN.

Click to view attachment
slivel
The car looks like a full tube frame without any remaining 914 chassis. Where is the fuel cell? That is going to be an interesting project.
gms
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 26 2023, 10:42 AM) *

IT'S A TRAP!!! lol

Aren't they all biggrin.gif

Unless you have an affinity for keeping it original, you might look into running it open-top.

Going to run as roadster

Which engine are you going to run? All the six-bangers in GT3 run a 33mm SIR. Weight is all the same, regardless of engine. Might just need to find out which engine works best with the SIR.

Working on air cooled 3.0L six, details to follow
SirAndy
I kinda like the Boxster version better ....
biggrin.gif
9146GUY
I assume you will be trying to use my old the body kit.
Steve
gms
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 26 2023, 10:59 AM) *

I kinda like the Boxster version better ....
biggrin.gif

It is long gone

sad.gif
gms
QUOTE(9146GUY @ Oct 26 2023, 10:59 AM) *

I assume you will be trying to use my old the body kit.
Steve

Yes! Steve gave me a great deal on a new fiberglass body a couple years ago
gms
QUOTE(slivel @ Oct 26 2023, 10:54 AM) *

The car looks like a full tube frame without any remaining 914 chassis. Where is the fuel cell? That is going to be an interesting project.

At this point no it does not
gereed75
QUOTE(gms @ Oct 26 2023, 12:04 PM) *

cmon, the streering rack looks 914!! what more do you want smile.gif
gms
Hopefully @Doug914 will add complementary
gms
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Oct 26 2023, 11:16 AM) *

there you go!

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
You are the man! beerchug.gif
rgalla9146

Glenn is that the Fiero/Huffaker chassis ?
Freezin 914
Love this!

popcorn[1].gif
ChrisFoley

When it was run in SCCA the cowl was required to be stock, not a whole lot else.
gms
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 26 2023, 05:20 PM) *

It might be, I have to ask Doug
gms
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Oct 26 2023, 06:54 PM) *

When it was run in SCCA the cowl was required to be stock, not a whole lot else.

and the Boxster cowl is the first thing to go!

rick 918-S
You need this? I just cut it off the parts clip for the 6. It is in the scrap pile.

Click to view attachment
stownsen914
Glad to see Doug's old car in good hands and that it'll run as a 914 again. It bounced around a couple times in recent years.

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 26 2023, 06:20 PM) *

I think there's a thread here somewhere, where Doug posted some pics and told some of the story. I think this is the car that started as a Huffaker chassis adapted to 914 configuration, that Doug ran in IMSA. It was pretty sophisticated. It has dual wishbone suspension with inboard shocks at all 4 corners.

At some point he converted it to SCCA GT2 which meant strut and trailing arm suspension to comply with the rules. Doug incorporated some cool tricks, so it was pretty sophisticated too, in a regulated rules kind of way.

Will be great to see the car run again, Glenn!
stownsen914
Found it

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2228336
gms
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 27 2023, 05:52 AM) *

You need this? I just cut it off the parts clip for the 6. It is in the scrap pile.

Click to view attachment

Thanks Rick but I have it covered
gms
A friend bought the bodywork from Hari after he turned it into a Boxster. I have acquired the doorskins

Click to view attachment

GregAmy
GT-3 no longer requires any stock bodywork.

I kinda chuckle at the GT regs; they start with "Allowed Nodifications" to a stock chassis but they've devolved so much over the decades that it's now "build a tubeframe chassis and stick on some carbon fiber to make it 'recognizable' as the original car." Then toss in pretty much whatever engine you'd like from the same marque (e.g., the GT3 Porsche "914" can be powered by a Boxter engine, or vice versa).

Some GT-3 cars are even rear-wheel-drive...Honda Civics.

It's the old "ship in a bottle" thing: we started allowing extra stuff to be added and cut away such that the original chassis is no longer needed. "Chassis, frame, or subframe may be lightened, reinforced, or replaced, provided components and attachments are not relocated"...lighted to the point of no longer existing.

"Rules creep" to the extreme... - GA
73-914
Anyone have blueprints for the chassis?
flyer86d
Glen, you own two of the race cars that my good friends in NNJR PCA built and campaigned back when I was more than active in that club! I remember being at Jim and Kathy Foster’s house where Doug had constructed a frame table to fabricate the tube frame. I managed to see it in various stages of construction. I’m glad to see it is still around and in good hands like your other -6 racer.

Charlie
gms
QUOTE(73-914 @ Oct 31 2023, 01:06 PM) *

Here is the magazine it was published in
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
73-914
QUOTE(gms @ Nov 6 2023, 12:21 PM) *

QUOTE(73-914 @ Oct 31 2023, 01:06 PM) *

Here is the magazine it was published in
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thank you
ChrisFoley
Nice toy!
gms
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Nov 10 2023, 12:45 PM) *

Nice toy!

Thanks Chris
gms
mocked up some of the parts to make it a 914 again

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146

Them are some special trailing arms !
Among many other interesting details.
Very cool.
stownsen914
I remember seeing those trailing arms when Doug was building an updated iteration of the 914 in the early 90s. Around the same time I was building my car.

Glenn - will that style bodywork fit over the suspension/wheels? I recall that Doug widened the car by a few inches and put the superwide version of Sheridan's bodywork on it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.