Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Corvette Transaxle?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
soloracer
Take a look:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-Corvet...993461117QQrdZ1

Did the 2001 Corvette come with a transaxle (Gertrag 6 Speed)? Could this be an option for us?
MikeP
Torque tube = differential = not a "real Transaxle" Sort odf like calling the 928's trans a transaxle
lapuwali
I don't know how viable it is for us, but yes, the Corvette has had (and still has) a transaxle for quite some time now. Very similar setup to the 924/944/968/928, or the Alfa Alfetta series.
lapuwali
QUOTE (MikeP @ Aug 18 2005, 04:27 PM)
Torque tube = differential = not a "real Transaxle" Sort odf like calling the 928's trans a transaxle

Transaxle = transmission and diff in the same case in my book. The torque tube doesn't disqualify it. The 944 transaxle was just an Audi fwd transaxle moved to the back.
bondo
From what I understand, the corvette transaxles have the differential to the rear of the gear stack instead of in front. (the differential is where our tailcovers are) To make that work, you'd be using your engine as an armrest.
lapuwali
How about that. Exactly like the Alfa transaxles, except the Italians didn't use a torque tube. They had a two-piece driveshaft connecting the front flywheel to the back flywheel, and the clutch was on the nose of the transaxle, so that shaft (with three rubber donuts connecting the bits together) spun at engine speed all the time.
bd1308
sounds like a bad thing just dying to happen....

i'd hate to have a driveshaft come visit me in the interior....

hello driveshaft...
spare time toys
QUOTE (soloracer @ Aug 18 2005, 07:19 PM)
Did the 2001 Corvette come with a transaxle (Gertrag 6 Speed)? Could this be an option for us?

This started with the C5
johnmhudson111
Yep, my C5 had it, similar to the 924/44 arrangement. I didn't like the shifting, very "corse" is the only word I can think of that describes it. I think there are much better options out there. Wonder if the engine and gearbox from a Acura NSX would fit biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (bondo @ Aug 18 2005, 07:12 PM)
From what I understand, the corvette transaxles have the differential to the rear of the gear stack instead of in front. (the differential is where our tailcovers are) To make that work, you'd be using your engine as an armrest.

Ahhhhh....., the famous 908 tranny, a variation of which was used for a couple of years in the 924 and 931. AKA, the "snail" tranny". A disaster. The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Aug 18 2005, 07:40 PM)
sounds like a bad thing just dying to happen....

i'd hate to have a driveshaft come visit me in the interior....

hello driveshaft...

There are pix of just that floating around on the net. Saw 'em a couple of weeks ago. Might wanna do a google search ..... The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.