Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scammer in the classifieds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
“Stars” starsways100@gmail.com Address:3347 Trish drive City: Zephyrhills State: Florida Zipcode:33543
replied to my wtb Ben’s/914-6werkshop 914-6 header with a picture of a muffler. Ben recognized the pic as one he took a couple years ago, not to mention a muffler isn’t a header. Even after I told him I live in Israel, he said shipping would be included. He was trying everything to get money from me.
Pelican is infected with scammers. Be careful on world so they don’t take hold here. Do your due diligence and make sure you are sending money to the actual seller.
Front yard mechanic
Does this include no recourse friends and family? shades.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Oct 27 2023, 03:31 PM) *

Does this include no recourse friends and family? shades.gif

It is the typical go-to for the scammers. Doesn’t mean anyone who asks f&f is a scammer. It just means you have to be careful how and to whom you send money. There is no best way to handle a transaction, just what works best for both parties involved.
930cabman
I will pay with F&F if I have seen the sellers name before, more than once. If the seller has a low # of posts, no F&F or no deal at all
Front yard mechanic
If your f&f package gets stolen of the porch it’s tough titty it’s also way to easy for scammers to use someone else’s sign on name to preform. although no one wants to pretend their me sunglasses.gif and stoop that low
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 27 2023, 12:14 PM) *

“Stars”

@mepstein

I can't find a member with that username here ...
confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 27 2023, 08:00 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 27 2023, 12:14 PM) *

“Stars”

@mepstein

I can't find a member with that username here ...
confused24.gif

I don’t think he’s a member. I think he’s doing what is an epidemic on pelican. Non members skimming the classifieds, saying they have a part, pulling a pic off the internet and taking payment.
Unobtanium-inc
These guys are answering WTB ads everywhere, I see it a lot on the 356 Registry classified. One dead giveaway. They always answer in a way that comes off very strange.
They say something like,
"Hello, I saw you are looking for Ben’s/914-6werkshop 914-6 header, I have the item and would like $100."

It comes off very cut and paste. I guess they send out enough and scam enough people to make it worth it.
targa72e
Best practice is to never post in the for sale add "I will take it" . This is a invitation for someone to scam you. Send a PM to seller, the seller knows who was the first to respond.
Unfortunately the classifieds for many car sites are scammers best targets. I also never send friends and family unless you are a "friend or family" happy to cover the 3% fee for the ease of the transaction. If it seems fishy do your do diligence to verify the other persons identity.

john
rhodyguy
A stranger that is interested in a purchase is neither friend nor family. Bogus transaction. Lying. I hate the notion and the scam. Simply to avoid paying what one rightfully owes. If the deal goes south and one gets screwed out of money, so be it. What goes around comes around.
mepstein
World is a great site with great people. I just wanted to give a heads up and hopefully everyone is on their toes and makes it unattractive to scammers.
jim_hoyland
Good calll on WTB scammers. Thanks for the reminder.$$$
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.