Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 914 Front Turnsignal Bucket for 356 Rear Turnsignals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
Apparently 356 guys use the front turnsignal bucket from the 914 for rear turnsignals and brakes. They actually look really nice.

A fellow asked if I could design some LEDs for the application. The LEDs will be red and will serve as the running lights, brake lights, and turnsignals.

The picture below is not his car. He originally wanted to do red running/brake LEDs under the red portion and amber LEDs under the amber portion.

After some discussion, we decided to do all red LEDs for running/brake/turnsignals. So the entire lens will be red or clear.

Since the boards are at a unique angle left to right, a one-sided board cannot be used on both sides. So this board will be reversible. The LEDs can be mounted on either side of the board as well as all the components. This was a very busy board with all the extra components on both sides.

To be able to blink the turnsignals when the brakes are on, I'm using the same blanking circuit that I use on the 914 euro front turnsignals.

Montreal914
That is neat looking! Where do they get the red/amber lens?

If your customer was going with the red/amber lens, You could have red LEDs everywhere (including behind the amber portion) for running and braking, then you could have a second circuit of amber LEDs only for turn signal. Obviously, when blinking, the red ones under the amber area wouldn't be lit. That being said, you don't have real estate for a second set of LEDs... Unless you can get bi-color ones? confused24.gif

On my euro tail lights, I have a red bulb for the side marker area. Even though the lens is amber on the side, once lit, it becomes red.

Cool, stuff! Looking forward to seeing the result! smile.gif

JmuRiz
Strange, must be an outlaw thing…I like thinking outside the box.

I got my rear led (another maker I bought 9 years ago) installed on my SC…bigger pain in the butt than your 914 items, not as good of circuitry too.
Good to see you are helping other P car groups!
JmuRiz
Off topic, now I need to get my carbs starting after only parked for 4 weeks post full rebuild headbang.gif
mate914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 28 2023, 02:26 PM) *

Apparently 356 guys use the front turnsignal bucket from the 914 for rear turnsignals and brakes. They actually look really nice.

A fellow asked if I could design some LEDs for the application. The LEDs will be red and will serve as the running lights, brake lights, and turnsignals.

The picture below is not his car. He originally wanted to do red running/brake LEDs under the red portion and amber LEDs under the amber portion.

After some discussion, we decided to do all red LEDs for running/brake/turnsignals. So the entire lens will be red or clear.

Since the boards are at a unique angle left to right, a one-sided board cannot be used on both sides. So this board will be reversible. The LEDs can be mounted on either side of the board as well as all the components. This was a very busy board with all the extra components on both sides.

To be able to blink the turnsignals when the brakes are on, I'm using the same blanking circuit that I use on the 914 euro front turnsignals.

I like it. I might just do the same thing as the 64c comes alive. 914 tach? Is this a type 4 conversion? If so can I please have some pics?
The lights I got from you are one of the best investments a 914 owner could make.
Matt flag.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Oct 28 2023, 03:36 PM) *

That is neat looking! Where do they get the red/amber lens?

If your customer was going with the red/amber lens, You could have red LEDs everywhere (including behind the amber portion) for running and braking, then you could have a second circuit of amber LEDs only for turn signal. Obviously, when blinking, the red ones under the amber area wouldn't be lit. That being said, you don't have real estate for a second set of LEDs... Unless you can get bi-color ones? confused24.gif

On my euro tail lights, I have a red bulb for the side marker area. Even though the lens is amber on the side, once lit, it becomes red.

Cool, stuff! Looking forward to seeing the result! smile.gif

@Montreal914

Not sure where they got the red/amber lens. I thought there was a way to bleach the color out of a lens and make a clear lens a different color. That's outside of my pay grade of how to do it.

For the amber turnsignals, I'm not a fan of them in the rear of cars. For this application, I wanted to to big and bold using the entire bank of LEDs as brakes, running lights, and turnsignals. With running lights on, the entire bank of LEDs are on gently. Hit the brake and the entire bank goes full bright. Hit the turnsignals and the entire bank blinks on/off/on... regardless of whether the running lights or brakes are on.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(mate914 @ Oct 29 2023, 05:59 AM) *

914 tach? Is this a type 4 conversion? If so can I please have some pics?
The lights I got from you are one of the best investments a 914 owner could make.
Matt flag.gif

Unless you are running a type 4 motor, I'm not sure I would. If you are 12v you are golden, just get the cheap one from Sierra Madre or the like:
12v electric 356 tach
I just used a stock 6v 356 electric tach when I went full flow oil filter on my car. I also have a 6v 904 tach in my parts bin, but I don't currently have an engine that redlines at 7k rpm biggrin.gif
Shivers
I like the old lights. But I can’t leave stuff alone either, and they did such a nice job. I can not make out the fluting under the red, so maybe they sprayed a translucent red and a clear.
Spoke
Got the boards back and assembled. Works as designed. These boards do running lights, brakes, and turnsignals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czP4RNSP9TE
Cairo94507
Another great product from Jerry! beerchug.gif
Spoke
With the LEDs offset on the board and before bending it looks like something went wrong on the build.

The boards were designed so I could get assemble a RH and LH board from one design. The schematic looked strange as every component other than LEDs was duplicated and the rear of the board was the mirror image of the front.
Spoke
The LEDs look a bit more uniform when bent into position. The board and LEDs fit nicely in the fixture.

The 356 owner will cut off the bottom of the OEM fixture to fit in the fender. The small front clip will stay and he will screw the long rear clip to the cut down fixture.
TheRuttmeister
Have you tested amber LED's under the red lens?

There's a very good chance that the red lens will block the amber completely, if you are still thinking about that option.
Spoke
QUOTE(TheRuttmeister @ Dec 3 2023, 06:32 PM) *

Have you tested amber LED's under the red lens?

There's a very good chance that the red lens will block the amber completely, if you are still thinking about that option.

Yes I checked amber LEDs under red lens and you are correct. The red lens does not block the amber completely but enough to avoid doing it.

Red LEDs under amber lenses work very well. Actually red LEDs come through amber lenses better than red lenses. With colored LEDs like I use, the most light is realized with clear lenses.

I'm running red rear turnsignals with amber lenses. I wish I hadn't changed out my red turnsignal lenses for amber. With red LEDs for rear turnsignals, I'm able to light them up gently for much increased rear running light footprint at night.
euro911
I'm all for folks doing what they want with their 'blank canvas', but I'd rather keep the original tail lights on a 356 shades.gif

I'm going to have to use different style of bulbs for my '66 912, as the lenses aren't removable from the housings.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.