Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to fix dash top cracks?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
Hey guys......(and dolls)...I was fortunate to put a really nice dash top in my car but slowly little cracks are forming and growing around the speedo cover and such....I am the only one that would notice them now but is there a proven way to stop them from growing? I am thinking JB Quik since it is black in color or maybe just black nail polish? Any ideas? Please share....thank you very much!
gg
rick 918-S
No real good solution. But there is at least one vendor selling reproduction dashes. Check 914rubber.
StarBear
I used a bit of Phenoseal translucent vinyl adhesive caulk, applied with a toothpick, a light moist smoothing out, then when dry a daub of black shoe polish. Has held up 6 months and got through two concours events.
Front yard mechanic
I use duct tape
73-914
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Oct 29 2023, 09:49 AM) *

I use duct tape

av-943.gif lol-2.gif piratenanner.gif
burton73
QUOTE(73-914 @ Oct 29 2023, 07:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Oct 29 2023, 09:49 AM) *

I use duct tape

av-943.gif lol-2.gif piratenanner.gif

agree.gif

Bob B
Literati914
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Oct 29 2023, 08:49 AM) *

I use duct tape

Do you recommend black or silver? confused24.gif

Front yard mechanic
I used silver but the sun did it in I’m now trying a new approach zip ties !Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
Frankendash…. I dig it.. is the cat zipped down too?
73-914
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Oct 29 2023, 08:18 PM) *

I used silver but the sun did it in I’m now trying a new approach zip ties !Click to view attachment

How about staples?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
new item http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Reprodu...1455203112.html
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 30 2023, 07:42 AM) *

does it come with a free cat?
Geezer914
Go to Rock Auto Parts. They offer a Coverlay dash cover for $110.00 Check out the video.
second wind
I appreciate all of the replies and I think the gray duct tape would look the best!! However...my dash top looks brand new and it is OEM....BUT I see little cracks growing and I want to nip them in the bud as Barney would say....."nip it in the bud"!! So there you have it and please keep the ideas and fixes coming in...
All the best,
gg
hndyhrr
My dash top is the worst. When I took it out I thought it would fall apart, lol, it didn't. Luck when I bought the car the PO had bought a cap for the dash top and it looks really nice. Might be a way to go down the road if cracks take over.

Dave_Darling
You can use a small-ish drill on the ends of the crack to cut down the odds of it getting longer.

--DD
wonkipop
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Oct 29 2023, 07:53 PM) *

Frankendash…. I dig it.. is the cat zipped down too?

right on.

boris karloff is tops. beer.gif beerchug.gif
Olympic 914
I have used a product called Shoe Goo to repair a few things.

It comes in clear and black. It applies like RTV but is much stronger.

Hikers use it to repair their shoes. And I have used it on winter boots, it holds up well.

Used it to repair a cracked seam on the driver's seat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.