Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weber carb
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jimbo409
I bought a 1974 914 1.8 and itt has the fuel injection, have not tried to start the car after sitting for over 20 years. My question is how hard would it be to change over to dual Weber carbs if the fuel injection is no good. I’m new to the car and trying to learn as much as I can. I just bought a Haynes manual so wish me luck
Osnabruck914
If you are familiar with carbs, easy. If not, a little harder. Nevertheless you will need to gut the FI components, install new carb-type intakes, a linkage system of your choice and a low pressure fuel pump at the minimum. You might need to replace the distributor. You will need fuel line and clamps to replumb everything.Then you will have to experiment with different jet settings to satisfy your engine. You will also need a snail synchrometer to check balance. Good luck!

Osnabruck 914
fiacra
You've just stepped into an ongoing debate about the merits of FI vs. carbs. Perhaps I'm biased, but keep the FI system. Once you have it sorted out you'll be happy with it. An original FI car also retains better value. There is a learning curve for the L-Jet system, but there are lots of resources out there, and on this forum, to help out. A well sorted FI system can't be beat. The Bentley manual for the 70-79 Super Beetle has a well written chapter explaining the L-Jet system very clearly. I found that to be the most helpful when I first took on refurbishing the FI on my 79 Super Beetle. The systems are nearly identical, and many of the parts are interchangeable, and I found everything I needed here and on ebay. The L-Jet FI is much more reliable than the Weber carbs I had on my previous 914. Either way, get it back on the road!
Jimbo409
Thank you
slapshot
My advice is, if you are going to rebuild to bigger than 2056 then get dual carbs otherwise keep your FI installed. Spend the money now on a good distributor setup like a 123 distributor or a electronic ignition module.

930cabman
QUOTE(Jimbo409 @ Oct 29 2023, 08:49 AM) *

I bought a 1974 914 1.8 and itt has the fuel injection, have not tried to start the car after sitting for over 20 years. My question is how hard would it be to change over to dual Weber carbs if the fuel injection is no good. I’m new to the car and trying to learn as much as I can. I just bought a Haynes manual so wish me luck

welcome.png

I would disassemble the FI components including the fuel tank, lines, pump, etc and clean/inspect everything. The stock FI system is the best, when working properly. Personally I am a carb guy and am happy with the twin Weber 40IDF's on my 2056. 30+ mpg on the highway, but cold running is not always smooth. Figure $1 - 2k for a carb conversion

What is the general condition of the car otherwise?
jim-c
Carbs are the best way to go. Just get a wideband O2 sensor and some spare jets.My carb seller ( Redline, I think ) told me which jets to run and it was spot on. I went up and down a size just to make sure. I wish I could get back the time I wasted on that stock fuel injection.
mb911
Ugh hate carbs switching to EFI this winter on my 914-6.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
don't do it, the 1.8 fuel injection system is the superior one for a 914 and simple, so easily made to run great
PLus you ruin the value of the car and the carbs do not run as smoothly as the fuel injection wear the engine out more quickly and need constant adjustment

QUOTE(Jimbo409 @ Oct 29 2023, 07:49 AM) *

Jack Standz
QUOTE(Jimbo409 @ Oct 29 2023, 09:49 PM) *

To answer your question, converting from fuel injection to carburetion is probably about as difficult as fixing the FI. This is especially true, if you don't know how to work on and adjust carbs or FI.

Nothing wrong with carbs, but in your case one problem is you will still have a FI camshaft in the motor which is far from optimal for the carbs. We ran with a FI camshaft in a 914 converted to carburetion for years and it does work. However, it's much better to have FI combined with a FI camshaft or carburetion with the correct camshaft for a carbureted motor.

In addition, maybe you need to be realistic and ask yourself the question: Am I going to invest the time to learn how to work on/fix the 914 or pay someone to do the work? There are vendors associated with this site that can competently do the work, depending on your realistic answer to that question.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 31 2023, 05:30 AM) *

Ugh hate carbs switching to EFI this winter on my 914-6.

agree.gif
I just had my other car's webers rebuilt and it was a pain in the butt to start after sitting for only 4 week (with fuel stabilizer in it).
I need to start figuring out what EFI system to price out for my /6 conversion too. Webers hate E10 fuel.
930cabman
QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Oct 31 2023, 10:38 AM) *

QUOTE(Jimbo409 @ Oct 29 2023, 09:49 PM) *

To answer your question, converting from fuel injection to carburetion is probably about as difficult as fixing the FI. This is especially true, if you don't know how to work on and adjust carbs or FI.

Nothing wrong with carbs, but in your case one problem is you will still have a FI camshaft in the motor which is far from optimal for the carbs. We ran with a FI camshaft in a 914 converted to carburetion for years and it does work. However, it's much better to have FI combined with a FI camshaft or carburetion with the correct camshaft for a carbureted motor.

In addition, maybe you need to be realistic and ask yourself the question: Am I going to invest the time to learn how to work on/fix the 914 or pay someone to do the work? There are vendors associated with this site that can competently do the work, depending on your realistic answer to that question.

agree.gif
brant
Fuel injection maintains factory engineering...
is not that hard
adds or maintains value of the vehicle... (carbs reduce value)
doesn't smell?

I've had lots of carb'd 914's in the past
my race car still is carb'd (6 cylinder) and will stay that way with some very rare IDS carbs

you should really consider learning FI
much better technology
the way it was meant to be.

and honestly... if a guy can't learn the FI then shame on him.
930cabman
QUOTE(brant @ Oct 31 2023, 03:17 PM) *

Fuel injection maintains factory engineering...
is not that hard
adds or maintains value of the vehicle... (carbs reduce value)
doesn't smell?

I've had lots of carb'd 914's in the past
my race car still is carb'd (6 cylinder) and will stay that way with some very rare IDS carbs

you should really consider learning FI
much better technology
the way it was meant to be.

and honestly... if a guy can't learn the FI then shame on him.

I am and have been a carb guy for years, but have owned '70's VW's with early FI systems and they were near flawless. But 50+ years later do the resources exist to test the components?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.