Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch cable adjust nut thread size
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Movin6
So my clutch cable needed adjusting, appears the nut has backed off. I want to double nut it, but can't find the right size. Somewhere between 6mm an 8mm? Anyone know?
ndfrigi
yes need another nut to locked it. I’m sure Ace hardware have them and maybe just bring what you have now.
ChrisFoley
Somewhere between 6mm and 8mm would be ...
:drum roll:
M7
biggrin.gif
Takes an 11mm wrench.
worn
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Oct 29 2023, 02:39 PM) *

M7
biggrin.gif
Takes an 11mm wrench.

Using an 11 mm wrench. Uncommon sizes: I now bring spares.
falcor75
That nut is the only reason I now own a long 11 mm socket and a ground down 11 mm open ended wrench.
NARP74
I have a set of thin metric bicycle wrenches I use. That looks fine threads, so 1.0 thread pitch.
Movin6
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Oct 29 2023, 05:39 PM) *

M7
biggrin.gif
Takes an 11mm wrench.

Yeah, after rummaging through my stash of misc nuts and bolts, and can't find, I guess I'll remove it and ... Off to the hardware store I go!

Rainy day so can't take it topless anyway...

Thanks for the replies, I'll provide the correct answer after I get it.

Starting w best guess of 7mm X 1.0

ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Movin6 @ Oct 30 2023, 11:03 AM) *

M7
biggrin.gif
Takes an 11mm wrench.

Yeah, after rummaging through my stash of misc nuts and bolts, and can't find, I guess I'll remove it and ... Off to the hardware store I go!

I've bought M7 nuts at a True Value in years past.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Movin6 @ Oct 30 2023, 09:03 AM) *

M7
biggrin.gif
Takes an 11mm wrench.

I am pretty sure M7 x 1.0. And you need a pair of 11mm wrenches, including a thin open end wrench.
Movin6
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 30 2023, 09:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Movin6 @ Oct 30 2023, 09:03 AM) *

M7
biggrin.gif
Takes an 11mm wrench.

I am pretty sure M7 x 1.0. And you need a pair of 11mm wrenches, including a thin open end wrench.

7mm X 1.0 is correct. Ace Hardware had 7mm listed on their thread guide, but it took a lot of searching to find one. Most collections skipped from 6 to 8mm...
Thanks to all who responded, this forum is great!

Click to view attachment
Bucci
I always use a baby vice grip around the cable shank that way it doesn’t fall off while you operate the clutch for adjustment. And yes, I always double nut at the Transmission side of the cable. My buddies Scott Sandford and Randy Beck said for the cable end inside the cab use the 11 mm wrench opening as the length to set the nut for the clevis fork at the pedal assembly. That way you’ll have enough cable length at the Transmission side to double nut.

#movin6
87m491
This thread raises a question I've had for a while. I'm working through my 914 replacing lots of wear parts including the clutch and accelerator cables. If the clutch fork is clearly made for a trunnion like this (which mine still has)
IPB Image

why are 90% of the available replacements this?

IPB Image

Having seen some clutch forks with the square peg, OK literally triangular peg, in a round hole and the ensuing wear it causes on the fork I figure there must be a good reason for the switch but I'm not getting it.

IPB Image

QUOTE(Movin6 @ Oct 29 2023, 01:36 PM) *

So my clutch cable needed adjusting, appears the nut has backed off. I want to double nut it, but can't find the right size. Somewhere between 6mm an 8mm? Anyone know?
NARP74
Lots of people here say to use this one. I have not yet but there have been many other discussions on this issue. It needs to be trimmed to fit.
https://www.rennline.com/billet-clutch-cable-clevis-sku-m26/
brant
thats a crazy price...
the solid metal 356 style is only like 12$ or something.
NARP74
Agreed. The plastic one is only $8 but I would not use it. These are getting harder to find for some reason.
NLA https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/PEL4...=PEL-423-212-99
87m491
How very Porsche. Why use a $3 part when a $45 part is available? Hard to imagine that a suitable proper fitting "barrel" type clevis couldn't be found/manufactured for less than a fiver each and sold for $10.

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Oct 31 2023, 06:21 AM) *

Lots of people here say to use this one. I have not yet but there have been many other discussions on this issue. It needs to be trimmed to fit.

87m491
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Oct 31 2023, 07:10 AM) *

These are getting herder to find for some reason.
NLA https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/PEL4...=PEL-423-212-99

I'm thinking of $45 reasons!
worn
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Oct 31 2023, 07:21 AM) *

In fact a nut that fits loosely over the threads will work in a pinch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.