Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best quality/fit clutch cable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
Hello hello......dodged the bullet yesterday afternoon after working on my '73 2.0 all weekend when I decided to go for a spin and the clutch pedal acted super funky so I just stayed parked and turned the car off. Without even looking yet I know that the cable is on its way out....just wondering what is the best one to get? I have done this repair at least three times and hoping to cut down on frequency if possible....thank you for your two cents smile.gif.
gg
Superhawk996
Greg

If you’re going through cables stretching that frequently, make sure the ground cable between transmission and the body is up to snuff.

If that ground isn’t good, the clutch cable becomes the ground.

It will stretch quickly and will eventually get brittle and break if it is being used as the ground for the starter. Starter can draw up to 100A easily and that kind of current through a steel cable leads to failure rather quickly.

Not saying this is what you have - but rather I’ve had it happen to me before I found out the braided ground had gone bad from corrosion which wasn’t obvious just looking at it.
914Sixer
Not sure IF this still applies but in the original issue the 914-6 used a larger diameter cable because it used the 911 6 spring clutch disc. Part number 914.423 401 08 is listed for the -6.

914.423.401.05 is for the -4
second wind
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 30 2023, 10:31 AM) *

Greg

If you’re going through cables stretching that frequently, make sure the ground cable between transmission and the body is up to snuff.

If that ground isn’t good, the clutch cable becomes the ground.

It will stretch quickly and will eventually get brittle and break if it is being used as the ground for the starter. Starter can draw up to 100A easily and that kind of current through a steel cable leads to failure rather quickly.

Not saying this is what you have - but rather I’ve had it happen to me before I found out the braided ground had gone bad from corrosion which wasn’t obvious just looking at it.

Hello Mark....thank you for your reply....I am talking three clutch cables over a 12 year period....the last one was a braided cable that looked fairly robust. I will double check the tranny ground when I am under the car. All the best smile.gif.
Geezer914
Terry cable.
apexhound
Make sure to check the clutch cable tube where it exits the tunnel through the rear firewall, look for any deflection or cracks. The tube brazing through the tunnel/firewall is a frequent failure point. A stronger cable/clutch transfers more load to those failure points.
second wind
QUOTE(apexhound @ Oct 30 2023, 04:30 PM) *

Make sure to check the clutch cable tube where it exits the tunnel through the rear firewall, look for any deflection or cracks. The tube brazing through the tunnel/firewall is a frequent failure point. A stronger cable/clutch transfers more load to those failure points.

Funny you should mention that....NOT!!! I checked my cable in the back and it looked perfect...hmmm? I will pull the pedal board up tomorrow and see what is going on under there....hopefully something other than the tunnel tubes.....I have a brand new pedal cluster (thank you Bruce and WCR luck of the draw) so maybe something went south on my current pedal cluster? We shall see and I will update tomorrow...thank you all for your help!
gg
porschetub
When I bought my roller I also purchased the gearbox but not fitted,came with a used cable which I presumed was the original so bought a new one from Pelican just to be sure ,after adjusting so many times I give up on it and fitted the original , night and day really ,no more stretch and much smoother in operation .
I compared the 2 and original had more nylon liner than the replacement so that was the reason for it working better ,don't remember but pretty it was a Gemo .
IMO there is something inferior in the type of cable used ,would think it would need to be high tensile to resist stretch appears they may not be the case .
Mikey914
Cables vary by how they are made. I’d suggest that the new ones are not engineered correctly.
We may have to do these right if this is a reoccurring theme. My background includes fall safety engineering for cable rail systems, they are not all equal either.
euro911
I eliminated the cable system in the 'BB and went with Wilwood hydraulic stuff wink.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Rory and I were talking about this. He had an OEM Porsche 914-6 cable. The thickness was 3.5mm. New replacement cable (Gemo) is only 3 mm. Found a new -6 cable and have it coming Friday. Going to check it for thickness and report back.
mb911
QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 1 2023, 01:44 PM) *

I eliminated the cable system in the 'BB and went with Wilwood hydraulic stuff wink.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Would love to do this.
Spoke
QUOTE(second wind @ Oct 30 2023, 02:15 PM) *

I am talking three clutch cables over a 12 year period.

I consider the clutch cable to be a maintenance wear item. Just had one start breaking this summer. Had it in for about 6 years. The bend the cable makes after it exits the cabin and heads to the pulley is where all the wear is.
930cabman
Funny, I had been watching this thread and thought, if it's not broke .....

May have been the last ride of the year, there was some salt on the roads earlier this week. At a light with a bunch of high school kids checking this old ride out. Pushed the clutch in to engage 1st gear and pop. Quickly dropped her into gear, started and drove away. Here in the Northeast, we have a short season, but it gives us time to make necessary repairs.

I had purchased one awhile ago, tomorrow we will see just how easy this is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.