mm911
Want to buy Mainely oil temperature dipstick for 914-4. Thanks
87m491
QUOTE(mm911 @ Nov 2 2023, 06:48 AM) *

Want to buy Mainely oil temperature dipstick for 914-4. Thanks

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Oil-Temperatu...dipstick-t4.htm

https://www.busdepot.com/gb227
GregAmy
^^^ that does not tell you what the oil temperature is, only that it has exceeded 225/235 degrees.

I dislike this idea for two reasons:

- One, 225-235F is not fatal for oil temp; in fact, it may be normal, and
- Two, it turns on the oil pressure light which requires immediate SHUT IT DOWN NOW!!! action. This could have significant safety consequences, depending on the situation at the time.

Bad mojo, IMO.

If you want to wire that to a separate indicator light, fine, I have no issue with that (and it would be easy to do). But it's just not cool (har de har) to dual-purpose a serious warning light for a situation that does not require immediate action.

@Mikey914 was mulling reproducing these out-of-production Mainely dipsticks; I presume nothing has come of it? - GA
Mikey914
Did some research with Jim and yes we can do these. I just need to put this together.
-Mark
87m491
Ward..." "Don't you think you're being a bit hard on the Beaver?

OP was just looking to buy a part not mentioning how he planned on using or for what purpose?

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 3 2023, 04:35 AM) *

^^^ that does not tell you what the oil temperature is, only that it has exceeded 225/235 degrees.

I dislike this idea for two reasons:

- One, 225-235F is not fatal for oil temp; in fact, it may be normal, and
- Two, it turns on the oil pressure light which requires immediate SHUT IT DOWN NOW!!! action. This could have significant safety consequences, depending on the situation at the time.

Bad mojo, IMO.

If you want to wire that to a separate indicator light, fine, I have no issue with that (and it would be easy to do). But it's just not cool (har de har) to dual-purpose a serious warning light for a situation that does not require immediate action.

@Mikey914 was mulling reproducing these out-of-production Mainely dipsticks; I presume nothing has come of it? - GA

euro911
QUOTE(87m491 @ Nov 6 2023, 06:28 AM) *
Ward..." "Don't you think you're being a bit hard on the Beaver?

OP was just looking to buy a part not mentioning how he planned on using or for what purpose?

Actually, the OP did ...

"Want to buy Mainely oil temperature dipstick for 914-4 rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.