Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adding an O2 bung to the exhaust..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Adding a WBO2 bung in the exhaust......European Racing Header for my /4 motor.

My fuel injection (Link) has the ability to gather and use the data from a wideband oxygen sensor, I can also use the LC-1 and laptop or LM-1 with the sensor (both from Innovate Motorsports)

Getting it ready:
user posted image
I used a Uni-bit....expensive little suckers, but worth it...now I just need to figure out how to re-sharpen them smile.gif
user posted image
Used sparkplug to protect the threads as well as offering a "handle" to hold it while tack welding:
user posted image
Ugly weld, looks better now that I've painted it black:user posted image

bd1308
good work man!

looks like the bung on the jeep

smile.gif

good work....
Mark Henry
I need TP for my bung hole!!!

(Best Bevis voice)

Looks good!
john rogers
Say Mueller, how come there is a spark plug in the bung??? he he he
Maltese Falcon
Dude, yer hired welder.gif !

ps bringing trans on 8/27/05 driving.gif
Marty
914werke
Mike did you buy the bung of the shelf or make it?
RustyWa
Hell, I'd take those welds!

Is there a spot on a stock banana muffler that you could install a bung? Just curious.
Mueller
QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ Aug 18 2005, 09:16 PM)
Dude, yer hired welder.gif !

ps bringing trans on 8/27/05 driving.gif
Marty

cool...I've been looking for a new gig smile.gif
sweet....I've added your arrival date to my calendar, we'll have to schedual a lunch or dinner that day for you if you have the time...I owe you a beerchug.gif

the bung came with the O2 sensor, I think Mark D. mentioned you can find them for just a few bucks at NAPA and other autoparts places.

for the 2.0 mueba.gif muffler, you'd either tap into one of the inlets or I guess you could tap into the muffler housing itself, not sure if the later is a good idea or not...anyone???
914Rookie
Mike,
Let me know if you need another weld bung. I probably made the one you have if you bought it off the shelf somewhere. I manufacture these for a lot of OEM exhaust guys. Holley, Flow Tech, Bassani, Bursch, Billy Boat, you name it. 18mm x 1.5, steel or stainless with or without a radius bottom. Let me know. Nicely done btw smilie_pokal.gif

Greg
Mueller
QUOTE (914Rookie @ Aug 18 2005, 10:44 PM)
Mike,
Let me know if you need another weld bung. I probably made the one you have if you bought it off the shelf somewhere. I manufacture these for a lot of OEM exhaust guys. Holley, Flow Tech, Bassani, Bursch, Billy Boat, you name it. 18mm x 1.5, steel or stainless with or without a radius bottom. Let me know. Nicely done btw smilie_pokal.gif

Greg

thanks....it would have been nice to have the bung with the radius'd bottom, what a PITA to get a nice fit (I was lazy and used my bench grinder)

This one came from Innovate Motorsport, each O2 kit comes with one luckly....

McMark
For those of you who want cheap bungs.... wink.gif

NAPA part #EXH 36339. If I remember, I'll get a price tomorrow. IIRC, $1.50 each.
scotty914
i know why mike is putting a spark plug in his exhaust.. he can use the link to go real rich and spark the exhasut and have a 914 that throws flames blowtorch.gif
rhodyguy
just one ?. why would you put the bung in the replaceable portion of the muffler? dry.gif perhaps better suited in the header after all the merging is finished. i'll pull the exhaust i have and post the picture after awhile.

k
914Rookie
No offense McMark, but that's not a weld bung... it's an 18mm NUT ! blink.gif Too short and probably a pain to weld across the flats. But they are cost effective if that's what you want.

Greg
maf914
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Aug 19 2005, 08:09 AM)
why would you put the bung in the replaceable portion of the muffler? dry.gif perhaps better suited in the header after all the merging is finished.

Now you bring it up! laugh.gif

Nice looking job, Mike.
rhodyguy
i want a do over on my ?. after looking at my muffler, the collector is too close to the flange and piping for placement of the bung. eventually i hope to replace this muffler with an edelbrock unit i saw recently, the SDT model #55740 2.0"in/2.0" out, for those who might care. a whole lot cheacheaper than a flowmaster and i think better quality than the bursch replacement. i DO plan on adding another flange down stream to save the bung.

k
McMark
QUOTE (914Rookie @ Aug 19 2005, 08:25 AM)
No offense McMark, but that's not a weld bung... it's an 18mm NUT ! blink.gif Too short and probably a pain to weld across the flats. But they are cost effective if that's what you want.

Greg

Ummmmm, yeah. rolleyes.gif

I never claimed it was The Perfect Bung ™ , I just said it was a cheap alternative. It has the correct thread. It is possible to weld it into an exhaust pipe without any real difficulty.

Give me a break. dry.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE (McMark @ Aug 19 2005, 02:59 PM)
QUOTE (914Rookie @ Aug 19 2005, 08:25 AM)

Greg

Ummmmm, yeah. rolleyes.gif

I never claimed it was The Perfect Bung ™ , I just said it was a cheap alternative. It has the correct thread. It is possible to weld it into an exhaust pipe without any real difficulty.

Give me a break. dry.gif

agree.gif

Up here they want something like $20 for that bung mad.gif pissoff.gif

A $1.50 for a nut that does the same job sounds good to me!
Mueller
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Aug 19 2005, 10:37 AM)
i DO plan on adding another flange down stream to save the bung.

k

$5.00 for a pair on eBay regular steel....

$6.50 for a pair of stainless steel ones......

even I am not that cheap...at that price who cares...the muffler is not going to just fall apart and need replacing next week smile.gif

besides, when I put the turbo on, the O2 would be too close to the turbo if I welded the bung to the collector.....
ChrisFoley
I was recently doing some work on a used Upright Conversion Tangerine Header. The customer had added an O2 bung himself that he bought from Jeggs. When it went through the alkaline bath to remove the old H/T coating before being recoated the bung came out full of pinholes, and the threads were also eroded away. On closer inspection I noticed the mig weld had eaten away at the bung material too. Not all O2 bungs are created equal I guess. unsure.gif

I had bought some bungs wholesale from Hooker but they wanted way too much $$. More recently I picked up some stainless ones from Vibrant which were much more reasonably priced.

I like to TIG bronze weld O2 bungs. Less distortion and oxidation that way. smile.gif
TravisNeff
Mike, go wash your hands. Youve had your hands in your bung one time too many wacko.gif
914Rookie
Mark, and McMark,

Take it easy ohmy.gif , I guess I don't buy these things and don't realize the mark up when they get sold retial. If you let me know by 1:30 today ( 8/22 Monday, PST ) or else I will be gone for a couple of weeks. I will ship you a couple bungs at a pretty good price FREE ! biggrin.gif . Let me know.

Greg
McMark
Greg, no worries. I'm just sensitive to those types of comments. That's all. wink.gif

If I ever need any bungs I'll come to you first. pray.gif

I would rather have a few radius bungs here than those NUTS! lol2.gif Let me know and I'll send some $.

Mark De Bernardi
1721 Action Ave SUITE B
Napa, CA 94559
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.