Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: using pcarmarket.com to sell a car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
I'm selling my 914. I was contacted by someone from pcarmarket.com who asked if I'd be interested in listing my car for sale with them. Does anyone have any experience buying or selling through this site? Thanks!
Superhawk996
You may want to read thorough this and think about their “sales” tactics

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=367487
914_teener
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 4 2023, 06:05 AM) *

You may want to read thorough this and think about their “sales” tactics

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=367487

I considered using them when I sold my Macan S. They hounded me no end and in the end I sold it for more than they were through the Macan forum website. They are like a brokerage service where they promise a value and may or may not get that value while still getting paid.

I wouldn't recommend using them. There are plenty of other places like Rennlist and other sources, besides...the 914 is a specialized niche market and I ended up selling it to an old PCA president in the midwest that knew aboutt he cars and he ended up seeing in on Rennlist.

Good luck....I miss my old car.
SKL1
Have experience with both BAT and P-car market, and was happy with the outcome for both. Luckily we had honest buyers for both cars which probably helped.

Probably some luck involved with whoever you use... but it may not hurt to use PCA marketplace first if you're a PCA member. Hopefully it can be a more educated market.

(and as noted on one of the threads, the first thing I noticed with that one 914 was the wheels... , and not in a good way)
914 RZ-1
They are a bit pushy. They want the $99! I asked when a good time of year to sell is and didn't really get an answer. They seemed to think anytime, since Porsche enthusiasts are always looking.
It seems to me that a one-time auction would be fine, but it would have to be at the right time of the year. It looks like once the auction is over, the car is listed on their site for sale.
They do have an interest in selling it at auction because they get 5%. I need to check if they get anything if it sells after it's listed.

They want a copy of my title. Anyone see any issues with this?

I've got the car listed here, CL, FB and Pelican. I'm considering Rennlist, but that seems more high-end. I only saw a few 914's and they were way nicer than mine. Any other selling sites I should consider?
burton73
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Nov 8 2023, 07:46 AM) *

They are a bit pushy. They want the $99! I asked when a good time of year to sell is and didn't really get an answer. They seemed to think anytime, since Porsche enthusiasts are always looking.
It seems to me that a one-time auction would be fine, but it would have to be at the right time of the year. It looks like once the auction is over, the car is listed on their site for sale.
They do have an interest in selling it at auction because they get 5%. I need to check if they get anything if it sells after it's listed.

I've got the car listed here, CL, FB and Pelican. I'm considering Rennlist, but that seems more high-end. I only saw a few 914's and they were way nicer than mine. Any other selling sites I should consider?

https://offerup.com/

its free and covers your local area ( in your case the larger LA area) I have got some good deals on stuff from them.

Its worth a try. FREE

Bob B
Click to view attachment
87m491
Do not go "no reserve" whichever format you use! Done both ways on BaT.
I was closely tied to an 87 944S sale on PCars. P Car pushed my friend for a no reserve and very luckily my friend hit his mental minimum even though I'd say car was worth easily 10-15%% more on BaT at the time.

The Buyer flaked at which point P Car got the non refundable deposit and my buddy was left holding a big bag of nothing. P Car reran the car again at no reserve against my advice and the car brought 20% less as "damaged auction goods".

With the blush clearly off the car auction website rose, beware.

QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Nov 3 2023, 03:42 PM) *

I'm selling my 914. I was contacted by someone from pcarmarket.com who asked if I'd be interested in listing my car for sale with them. Does anyone have any experience buying or selling through this site? Thanks!

Superhawk996
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Nov 8 2023, 11:46 AM) *

They want the $99!

That’s not a bad deal - for decades the 914 was NARP.

Now for ONLY $99 it becomes a real Porsche and can be listed by them av-943.gif
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(87m491 @ Nov 8 2023, 08:25 AM) *

Do not go "no reserve" whichever format you use! Done both ways on BaT.
I was closely tied to an 87 944S sale on PCars. P Car pushed my friend for a no reserve and very luckily my friend hit his mental minimum even though I'd say car was worth easily 10-15%% more on BaT at the time.

The Buyer flaked at which point P Car got the non refundable deposit and my buddy was left holding a big bag of nothing. P Car reran the car again at no reserve against my advice and the car brought 20% less as "damaged auction goods".

With the blush clearly off the car auction website rose, beware.

QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Nov 3 2023, 03:42 PM) *

Oh, I'd go with a reserve. Pcar even recommended doing that. I'm not listing it for no reserve. Sounds like Pcar gets paid no matter what. At least you can list the car on their site after an auction.
When is a good time of year to sell a 914? Anyone have any insight?
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(burton73 @ Nov 8 2023, 08:04 AM) *

QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Nov 8 2023, 07:46 AM) *

https://offerup.com/

its free and covers your local area ( in your case the larger LA area) I have got some good deals on stuff from them.

Its worth a try. FREE

Bob B
Click to view attachment

I hadn't thought about offerup. I've used it before and didn't care for it for some reason. There have been lots of hits on the listings, but just one comment from a person in Canada telling me it was a nice car. He was looking but said it was out of his price range. I told him to make me an offer, but he mentioned it would cost $1K-2K to ship it.
914 RZ-1
Should I send a copy of the title to Pcar, or anyone else if they ask? I'm fine doing it in t he interest of transparency and honesty, but it seems like there could be issues with fraud or something I haven't thought of.
87m491

[/quote]

Oh, I'd go with a reserve. Pcar even recommended doing that. I'm not listing it for no reserve. Sounds like Pcar gets paid no matter what. At least you can list the car on their site after an auction.
When is a good time of year to sell a 914? Anyone have any insight?
[/quote]

BaT often will not take a car requesting even a very reasonable reserve, BTDT.
They also insisted on a CarFax for a non US market car.
Even for ROW cars where there is not a lot of data they arm twist for no reserve, ditto PCar, ditto Cars and Bids

It's getting harder and harder to get an auction runner than knows much about the cars they are auctioning.

Of course with BaT now taking almost any listing they can, gotta feed the beast, maybe the "reserve police" are toning it down a bit.
nditiz1
I sold my conversion earlier this year(May) on pcarmarket. It went well. The tech writers somewhat fill the details with any info you give them (i.e. New wiper blades) I mean great, but did you need to state that. You can always make changes to the script before it goes live. I provided my own pics and the upload was fairly easy.
87m491
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Nov 8 2023, 09:03 PM) *

Should I send a copy of the title to Pcar, or anyone else if they ask? I'm fine doing it in t he interest of transparency and honesty, but it seems like there could be issues with fraud or something I haven't thought of.

I've bought and sold dozens of cars and motorcycles and a boat here or there, all private party over the last few decades. I have never really had the need or been asked to show the title before the money changed hands though a few sellers did provide it in a digital download of historical docs unprompted.

I wouldn't let that info out until I no longer had a vested interest in the car.
914 RZ-1
I don't have a problem sharing info with someone buying a car, including an auction house, but I guess it just seems like the title is too personal in some way to send over a text or email. What could they or someone else do with the info? Steal the car? Identity theft? They will have my credit info as well, so there's that to consider. I don't think they publish it, but I'll ask and see what they need it for.

I think they just want to make sure I actually have the title, so maybe I'll take a picture that's not great, but that shows it's mine and clean and see what they say. I haven't talked with them for a few days; I thought they'd be more pushy.
914 RZ-1
I got a FB message asking if I wanted to trade for an old (1962, IIRC) T-Bird. Rebuilt engine, looked nice. I declined. Told the person to sell that car and buy mine, and that I could work with them on the price. They said no. Seems like a scam.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.