Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT anyone familiar with GM tuning?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
I am going to do a AFM/DOD delete on my 19 sierra not for performance but for longevity as I will put a standard cam and lifter setup in it. There is not much clear info for tuning. I could care less about tubing I just want the function shut off and no check engine lights. Any insight?
technicalninja
Easiest way is to use a removable AFM delete dongle.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ret-ra00...AiABEgJaVPD_BwE

Cheaper versions exist. Check Amazon/E-bay.

I advise my customers to use this as merely removing it restores the vehicle to "as-delivered" condition and will not pop their warranty.

I tell them that the dongle deactivates the system but leaves all the bad pieces in.

I further advise the "correct way" is to replace the DOD lifters and assorted BS with non-DOD stuff but that is fairly expensive and requires significant engine surgery.

40+ folks have bought the dongle. Not a single one has gone through the proper process as you are.

I believe the dongle will work to turn the system off, but you still might get check engine lights as you will be making some serious changes.

Look for the welch plugs to seal the DOD solenoid oil paths off as well. I believe Lingenfelter makes some.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lpe-l960...AyABEgJm9PD_BwE

Normally, when a customer has gone through the BS of actually replacing the DOD crap they also have the ECU updated/tuned and the DOD section gets eliminated in the ECU as well.

I'm not sure if the dongle and the delete will work together but it's cheap to try and the dongle will work on other trucks (and thus can be sold).

Maybe you can leave the solenoids in the valley plate, install the block off plugs and the normal lifter parts, and then use the dongle to turn off the system.

I believe that if you disconnect any electronics you will get a check engine light so try to keep them installed/connected if you want to keep a non-modified ECU.

Not a single one of my customers has had a bit of trouble out of the DOD crap after they installed the dongle...

Dongles are $200. DOD removal is 2K.

AFM, cylinder deactivation, DOD is one of the single worst fuel economy strategy to come out in the last 50 years.
EVERY manufacture who installs this system get into a Class action lawsuit over the systems down the road.

I had a customer's Lexus RX350 in the other day. It had a serious "economy" light show on the dash.
I thought "OH SHIT" even Toyota is buying into this crap...

After a bit of investigation, it turns out the entirety of the Toyota system is the light show. Doesn't do crap to the engine.

Toyota decided "training the monkeys" is probably more beneficial than hobbling the engine...
technicalninja
Couple more items.

All of the customers that have installed the dongle swear the truck runs better and has more power. I advise "more power" is a figment of their imagination...

The truck stays V8 at all times and probably is a tiny bit smoother.

Not a single one has complained about fuel economy worsening (although it has to suffer a tiny bit).

A HUGE tip that is commonly overlooked is to change the little pre-filter that is located under the oil pressure sending unit. This little basket gets all sorts of crap in it and needs to be cleaned/changed every 5 years or so.

The oil pressure sending unit is a weak link, fails a lot, not very expensive, and is a PIA to change in the truck. I ALWAYS talk the customer into a new one if I remove an old one.
I buy these exclusively at the GM dealer.
GM parts are the exception to the rule "OEM is 3 times as expensive as aftermarket".
Often the GM dealer is the cheapest source, and you should always check before accepting a Chinese wannabe from your FLAPS...
mb911
How many miles are your customers getting out of just the dongle delete? I have that already and just curious if this is worth the hassle.
technicalninja
I'd do it ONLY if I had active trouble with the DOD stuff right now.

A few customers are above 240k with the delete added at 160... (sort of an average?)

If I am removing a pair of Gen 3/4 heads I'm upgrading for power.

Texas Speed has a bunch of reasonable power packages...

Having a "swap DOD crap out" plan ready to go means the original junk doesn't break.

You will notice "strangeness" in the engine far earlier than almost all users...

The DOD failure mode has some early symptoms that you are already primed for.

Noisy ass lifters on start-up and weird random misfires that defy normal diagnostic
procedure is the pointers for me.

I'd wait until it was really necessary...
mb911
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Nov 6 2023, 12:09 PM) *

I'd do it ONLY if I had active trouble with the DOD stuff right now.

A few customers are above 240k with the delete added at 160... (sort of an average?)

If I am removing a pair of Gen 3/4 heads I'm upgrading for power.

Texas Speed has a bunch of reasonable power packages...

Having a "swap DOD crap out" plan ready to go means the original junk doesn't break.

You will notice "strangeness" in the engine far earlier than almost all users...

The DOD failure mode has some early symptoms that you are already primed for.

Noisy ass lifters on start-up and weird random misfires that defy normal diagnostic
procedure is the pointers for me.

I'd wait until it was really necessary...

I am starting to think your right I have the cam and lifters on the way but may wait until as you said it becomes an issue
colingreene
I would just do it, its not that hard. its just work really.
especially since if the truck is newer all the hardware will come out.
And I would do a mild cam if I was in there.
technicalninja
Hah!
You've bought the parts already!

Murphy's law states that

"If you have the spare XXX ready to go and you are prepared, the original parts will not fail UNTIL you sell said spare!"
mb911
I did stop down and talk to a shop I know well. They said they can flash the system for 200 to shut it down permanently and also flash the trans so the dreaded Torque converter doesn’t fail prematurely. They said doing this will likely solve the majority bog issues over the life of the truck.
technicalninja
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 6 2023, 04:41 PM) *

I did stop down and talk to a shop I know well. They said they can flash the system for 200 to shut it down permanently and also flash the trans so the dreaded Torque converter doesn’t fail prematurely. They said doing this will likely solve the majority bog issues over the life of the truck.

Sounds like good mods to have.

I'd MAKE SURE that they can take it back to stock and leave no evidence down the road as you may want to do that before you sell it.

Some "flashing" will screw up the original load to the point you can no longer connect with the vehicle using a standard scan tool.
I've had more trouble with Diesels than gas, but I'd want to be able to completely restore the original programming.

Makes it hard to diagnose stuff and can make it impossible to pass an in-depth emissions test. Might affect selling/trading in the truck.

I am also a HUGE believer in changing to the high end Amsoil trans fluid on the modern 8+ speed transmissions that GM has put out.
Had a 2016 Cadillac CT6 with severe TC shudder (40K) that the Amsoil fixed immediately. Car has 100K now and I need to change the fluid again.
Shudder has not returned yet...

mb911
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Nov 6 2023, 04:02 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 6 2023, 04:41 PM) *

Sounds like good mods to have.

I'd MAKE SURE that they can take it back to stock and leave no evidence down the road as you may want to do that before you sell it.

Some "flashing" will screw up the original load to the point you can no longer connect with the vehicle using a standard scan tool.
I've had more trouble with Diesels than gas, but I'd want to be able to completely restore the original programming.

Makes it hard to diagnose stuff and can make it impossible to pass an in-depth emissions test. Might affect selling/trading in the truck.

I am also a HUGE believer in changing to the high end Amsoil trans fluid on the modern 8+ speed transmissions that GM has put out.
Had a 2016 Cadillac CT6 with severe TC shudder (40K) that the Amsoil fixed immediately. Car has 100K now and I need to change the fluid again.
Shudder has not returned yet...

I will confirm for sure. interesting on the trans fluid.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.