Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping Costs are Ridiculous Any More + Need PMs to Secure YOUR Place in Line on Classified Ads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
euro911
As some of you may have noticed, I've recently been posting a lot of parts in the classifieds. Unfortunately, I'm moving on from 914 ownership due to changes in life conditions. I'm NOT going away though - a lot of you guys and gals have become good friends over the past 17 years that I've been a member of this incredible forum beerchug.gif

I'm trying to provide what I think are fair prices for the items, and by the responses (and quick sales), apparently I'm right on track. However, when it comes to shipping large or long items cross country, the costs to ship those items has sky-rocketed and sometimes become a deal-breaker, and I understand that. In hind sight, I really should have listed certain items for local pick-up only headbang.gif ... and will be more cognizant of that fact going forward.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALSO, due to the amount of ads I've posted, it's hard to keep up with replies that appear on the ads. I receive a notification when a I get PM that either asks questions, or a declaration that someone definitely wants to purchase the particular item.

I have to say that it's a lot easier to respond to the PMs than it is to scroll through all the ads to see if someone has declared their desire to purchase the item(s) in the ads. I have to look at the time stamp to determine 'who's on first', and who's, in line afterwards.

So, in summation, I think it's best for prospective buyers to shoot me a PM to claim their spot in line. It's OK to reply on the ad, but please, follow it up with a PM as soon as possible.

I thank y'all for the consideration shades.gif
sixaddict
You are correct on shipping…..I tried a service called parcel monkey. It helps a lot and stuff generally goes ups. Everyone wants an estimate as well and as long as you can weigh the package you can provide it fairly easy.
914bub
Bruce and I discussed this just last week on the phone. He's using shipstation and said it's working well. I'm going to sign up soon as I recently sold my 914 and have a ton of stuff to sell as well. I recently priced a 914 steering wheel for a guy on Maryland or Maine it was like $46! Ridiculous.
enf2232
I just sent a wheel to Europe. When I posted about shipping someone mentioned Parcel Monkey. I looked on that site and of the estimates posted, USPS was the least expensive. I ended up taking the package to the post office for an estimate and it was less than the Parcel Monkey estimate. To my surprise when I delivered the box to the post office to ship what I paid was even less. Just sharing my experience. And yes, the shipping was considerably more than the value of the wheel.
mepstein
Yes, if you want the cheapest rate, you just have to shop around. I just use my FedEx business account for everything domestic and parcel monkey for international. Throw in usps priority one rate when it makes sense (shipping brake calipers x-country).

Right off the bat, a good way to save money, is to get free accounts with FedEx or UPS. It’s good for ~25%.
euro911
I've been shipping car & motorcycle parts & electronic gear for decades and have business accounts with both FedEx and UPS. I do shop around as well, even check DHL ... and yes, USPS Priority Mail makes sense on smallish but heavy items like Mark E eluded to. Sometimes, even first class mail is an attractive method, even for overseas shipments.

However, a 58" long box with a set of Tangering stainless steel fuel lines from LAX to Tennessee shouldn't be in excess of $100. sheeplove.gif ... just sayin shades.gif
sixaddict
Sorry..duplicate
mepstein
QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 7 2023, 08:25 PM) *

I've been shipping car & motorcycle parts & electronic gear for decades and have business accounts with both FedEx and UPS. I do shop around as well, even check DHL ... and yes, USPS Priority Mail makes sense on smallish but heavy items like Mark E eluded to. Sometimes, even first class mail is an attractive method, even for overseas shipments.

However, a 58" long box with a set of Tangering stainless steel fuel lines from LAX to Tennessee shouldn't be in excess of $100. sheeplove.gif ... just sayin shades.gif

To ship from DE to CA, I get $82 on my FedEx account but I agree, that’s pricey. I think there’s a certain length that pushes it to oversized.
PatMc
UPS has a "simple rate" program....I think it's only available if you sign up for an acct with them. It's based on box volume, there are 5 max. sizes and a max weight of 50lbs per package.

I ship a pair of 24lb brake rotors from CA to NY for $24. I shipped a 914 rear window in a home made "crate" out of 1/4" luan plywood on each side of the glass, a 1" or so wide strip around the edges of the glass, and lotsa tape and a few staples from CA to NC for $21.50....big area but only 3/4" tall so the volume was within the "large" size simple rate range.

Retail pricing on shipping is out of control. I spend $16 shipping a pair of calipers and customers spend $80 shipping them back.

DO NOT go to the ups store, part in hand, and ask them to pack/box/ship it for you....you will go broke.
mepstein
QUOTE(PatMc @ Nov 9 2023, 11:43 AM) *

UPS has a "simple rate" program....I think it's only available if you sign up for an acct with them. It's based on box volume, there are 5 max. sizes and a max weight of 50lbs per package.

I ship a pair of 24lb brake rotors from CA to NY for $24. I shipped a 914 rear window in a home made "crate" out of 1/4" luan plywood on each side of the glass, a 1" or so wide strip around the edges of the glass, and lotsa tape and a few staples from CA to NC for $21.50....big area but only 3/4" tall so the volume was within the "large" size simple rate range.

Retail pricing on shipping is out of control. I spend $16 shipping a pair of calipers and customers spend $80 shipping them back.

DO NOT go to the ups store, part in hand, and ask them to pack/box/ship it for you....you will go broke.

Tell your customer to use usps priority one rate for calipers. They will fit in a medium box for $18. You just have to tape every inch with clear packing tape so it all holds together. If you want to be extra safe, pack in the medium box and then drop into the large. Still just $24 but extra padded. And again, tape every inch so the cardboard doesn’t blow apart.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.