Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Merch idea 914 specific
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
Folks,

Tony Doy did a wonderful drawing for me and finally getting around to putting something on some clothing. What are your thoughts? Thinking this on the back and maybe just my website written small somewhere.

Thoughts?Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Copyrighted?
mb911
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Nov 10 2023, 08:16 AM) *

Copyrighted?

Expand on that us please
JeffBowlsby
Artists have a copyright to their work as I understand it, even without filing copyright protection paperwork. If you know the artist get their approval to use the art and work out an arrangement for any proceeds.
technicalninja
In regard to authoring a book...

As soon as you have written it down you have an "implied" copyright.

Not sure about a drawing but it's probably the same...

While this works OK in the United States, and you have rights that a court of law will uphold it's not the same all over the world.

If someone in another country wants to copy your work, you are basically screwed.

Fighting a copyright claim in China appears to be impossible...
Shivers
I used to compete at a place called Freaking News. When you compete your work becomes property of the artist and Freaking News. I found a few of my pieces being offered by t-shirt websites. They would ask if I had a copyright. I would tell them that Freaking News does. They would pull it off their site.
StarBear
Putting a copyright notice on it helps protect the content. Include year and name.
rick 918-S
If you end up doing stickers I need some new ones for my storage cabinet. When I moved I junked my old cheap MDF one. This is all I have so far.

Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Nov 10 2023, 09:54 AM) *

Artists have a copyright to their work as I understand it, even without filing copyright protection paperwork. If you know the artist get their approval to use the art and work out an arrangement for any proceeds.

Oh yeah that’s done. Tony is on board
Chris914n6
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Nov 10 2023, 08:16 AM) *

Copyrighted?

If you pay someone to do original art for you then it's yours. Think business logos. Like how engineers get paid to do their jobs and the company owns it.

But, I barely see a 914 in that art, and likely nobody outside of 914s would identify it.
RAX914
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Nov 10 2023, 04:05 PM) *

But, I barely see a 914 in that art, and likely nobody outside of 914s would identify it.

It’s funny you said that, to me it was obviously the tail end of a 914. Then I looked again, after reading your post, and it started to look like the front end of a mustang.

Click to view attachment

I wonder what normal (non 914 people) see it as.
mb911
Wow tough crowd. I thought it was cool as it was but maybe I will have the screen printer clean up the lines.
mate914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 11 2023, 09:18 AM) *

Wow tough crowd. I thought it was cool as it was but maybe I will have the screen printer clean up the lines.

I like it, but who am I...
Matt flag.gif
GBX0073
I don't think Rax intent was a mean criticism he was expressing a point that art is about individual interpretation. to us it's the back end of a 914-6 to others it could be the front end of another car
jim_hoyland
Cool ! Poster ?
mlindner
I think it looks cool Ben. I would be interested. Mark
mb911
QUOTE(mlindner @ Nov 11 2023, 11:48 AM) *

I think it looks cool Ben. I would be interested. Mark

Sounds good. Looks like hoodies would be about $35 give or take
BENBRO02
That looks great and is definitely the rear end of a 914-6 GT. I’m not able to see the front end of a Mustang.
Craigers17
I'd be in for a long sleeve black or dark blue tee, if you end up offering those as an option. I think it looks pretty cool.....and let's face it, you could put an actual photo of a 914 on a shirt and, unless it was badged, half the population wouldn't know what it is. That's part of the charm.
Tonyooc
It looks like it has a front grill??
mb911
QUOTE(Tonyooc @ Nov 12 2023, 08:03 AM) *

It looks like it has a front grill??

It’s the back see the tail pipes near the center
technicalninja
I didn't see the Mustang until someone else mentioned it...

Now I see Mustang first and 914 second.

My dad is an automotive artist and if he did that I'd say "clean up the rear panel between the lights a little tiny bit and make the exhaust slightly more prominent.
Maybe a little less white below the rear valence."

These would be TINY changes as the "back of a napkin" type drawing/sketch is excellent!

I might suggest doing the same style of drawing for the front of the car as well.

Front on front of shirt/hoodie and back on back...

It looks like it's missing the signature.

Something like that should be signed!
Chris914n6
Since we're going there...

I still see the rear of a Z3, and the Mustang front since it got mentioned. I think the bumper is too curved and the roll bar adds a convertible look. Some of the things distinct to your car didn't translate well in mono color. Like the GT flares could be more pronounced.
I think if you sharpen the bumper it would fix it though.
Retroracer
BTW the original was black pen on white background - this is an inverse image. If you stare at it for 30 seconds then look at a white background, you can see the jack stands underneath....!

- Tony

PS. Ben has copyright ownership of the image
mb911
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Nov 12 2023, 12:48 PM) *

BTW the original was black pen on white background - this is an inverse image. If you stare at it for 30 seconds then look at a white background, you can see the jack stands underneath....!

- Tony

PS. Ben has copyright ownership of the image

Tony,

I will make sure you get whatever the final image is on a hoodie or whatever I have made

All the comments are super interesting
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.