Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: electrical woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rbporsche333
[B] confused24.gif Hi!
Please help me! My car has been sitting for 2 years. I replaced all the fuels lines,vac. lines etc.. The fuel problem is solved. Now it's the electricals. One minute my pump works, next it doesn't. Car starts, runs for a minute, turn off and no pump again. Tested the pump directly and it's fine. I cleaned all my contacts on the relay boards and replaced all the fuses ad switched around the relays. Headlights work but I'm only getting the red light on the dash and no green light. No fuel pump or starter sound when I turned the key. I know I'm just a girl and I did what any girl would do, I cried!! I have kept this car going by myself for 7 years until I decided to park her to keep from getting hit by the crazy people on the freeways. Too many close calls. Now I want and need to drive her again.
Please help!!!
Thanks Rusti
1974 1.8L
swl
Looks like you have done all the normal first aid. Do your lights dim when you attempt to start it? If they do then it may be as simple as a bad battery or connections. If they don't you may need to look at your ignition switch. It does sound like the switch - 'specially with so many odd things happening. Also the switch could become suspect after sitting for a bit - contact resistance building up. The "sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't" fits flakey contacts as well. Do you have a wiring diagram and a volt meter?
ClayPerrine
I can help, but you have to help me too. Does it still have the stock injection? If so, check the double relay mounted below the battery. On a 1.8L, the relays on the relay board are not used for the injection.

Two tests to perform.

1. Take the air filter out of the air flow meter. Turn the key on. Reach inside the air flow meter and open the flap. Does the pump run?

2. Take the cover off the relay board. There is a single yellow wire plugged into the 4 pin connector on the left rear of the relay board. Note where it's connected and disconnect it. Then hook a jumper wire from the positive side of the battery to that wire. Does the fuel pump run?

Let me know what you find and we can move to the next steps.

Joe Bob
Sounds like corrosion....try cleaning all the ground contacts that are associated with the fuel pump. Do you have a wiring diagram?

Also Banning is near Riverside....there are more than a few club members in that area that can come by and do a look see.

"I" would post a request for help.....since there a lot of guys on the board who can't get a date at a Sorority House on Saturday night and you just happen to be a girl....you should get a crowd.... cool_shades.gif

Post pics of the car...and you.... wink.gif

Trust me, the club is VERY helpful.....even if you were an ugly guy there would still be offers of help.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (SEEMORE BUTZ @ Aug 19 2005, 09:02 AM)

"I" would post a request for help.....since there a lot of guys on the board who can't get a date at a Sorority House on Saturday night and you just happen to be a girl....you should get a crowd.... cool_shades.gif

Post pics of the car...and you.... wink.gif

Trust me, the club is VERY helpful.....even if you were an ugly guy there would still be offers of help.

agree.gif We even help out people like Mikey here, even though he is a funny looking fat old man who wears flip flops and bunny ears......

SLITS
In the Riverside area, you have Slits....A-aron Admin....Brandon....Glenn Sager....and a few more that will help if you need it. We are the 914 Capital of the World.

If you need to trailer it to the "Fix a Porsche Festival at Scott Kline's, Joe Sharp's, Joe Buckle's" in Costa Mesa...that can be done too!

Bring it on....we'll put a fence around the property to keep Seemore Butz " aka Mikey, The Groper" out!

Edit...jes remember...it's all downhill from Banning to where we are, so you can coast.

2nd Editd...Sometime in October (still in planning), we will have the "D &G & R Bi-annual Burnt Animal Flesh Roasting / All 914 Rusty Parts Swap Meet" where you can meet more of the "lonely boys" of teenerdom.
94teener
Rusti,

Do what Clay says.

Phil
rbporsche333
Hi
Thanks for the replys! It's the original stuck fuel injection. About 5 years ago I had a problem with the ignition switch but I fixed it along with bad grounds and I redid the wiring loom myself. I had her sitting in a damp cold garage in Stockton, covered up but not enough I guess. There was also evidence of rats in the engine compartment a couple of times. No chewed wires though just garbage they dragged in there and even a dog's 4 inch rawhide chew bone behind the brain. How they got that in there is beyond me. Yuk!
I started the car twice and she ran for a minute but I stepped on the gas and no response. Like the trottle was disconnected or something. She was a daily driver for 3 years and strong when I parked her. I did drive her through a lot of wet weather though. I needed oars sometimes.LOL!
Maybe she was wetter than I could see and her electricals have rusted up. I replaced the multi-relay and you could hear it click but when I turned on the key but now nothing. It won't even turn over. No starter sound , zilch. My headlights work but I haven't checked to see if they dim or not. Could my transmission ground be loose or corroded?
I will try the yellow jumper wire test.
Thanks for all the offers and help. I will keep all of you informed.
Rusti
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Aug 19 2005, 07:36 AM)

2. Take the cover off the relay board. There is a single yellow wire plugged into the 4 pin connector on the left rear of the relay board. Note where it's connected and disconnect it. Then hook a jumper wire from the positive side of the battery to that wire. Does the fuel pump run?

agree.gif givemebeer.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.