Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transaxel Repair Shop Recommend in PNW
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PDXBob
On my 1975 914 my transmission is grinding when upshifting from 1st to 2nd gear. I’ve adjusted the clutch numerous times, but doesn’t change grinding. Also, the clutch, pressure plate, TO bearing are relatively new. I Have to bite the bullet and admit it’s probably the transaxle. Any recommendations for a shop to repair transaxle in Pacific Northwest (Portland/Seattle)? Thx, PDXBob
Mikey914
Bob,
Allen at A&P Auto Specialties can hook you up no problem. He's a factory trained Porsche mechanic that went out on his own. He's done 2 for me so far. He's been reasonable and there is no issue with his work.

https://www.aandpspecialties.com/
914werke
I was gonna throw my hat in here but noting your location Id suggest you contact Ben at Middlemotors or Martin Mid Engine, Im not sure what name hes going by now.
PDXBob
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 11 2023, 01:57 PM) *

Bob,
Allen at A&P Auto Specialties can hook you up no problem. He's a factory trained Porsche mechanic that went out on his own. He's done 2 for me so far. He's been reasonable and there is no issue with his work.

https://www.aandpspecialties.com/

Thanks Mike. I’ve heard good things about A&P. I’ll follow up with Allen.
Bob
PDXBob
QUOTE(914werke @ Nov 11 2023, 01:58 PM) *

I was gonna throw my hat in here but noting your location Id suggest you contact Ben at Middlemotors or Martin Mid Engine, Im not sure what name hes going by now.

Thanks Rich, I found them on the web.
Bob
mb911
The nine store can on the east coast contact mepstein
rhodyguy
Pull only the shifter assem, clean and inspect the 1/R spring loaded detent plate for wear. Rebuilding the trans is no cure for a spent plate.
jhynesrockmtn
These folks are in Bend. No personal experience but the indy I've used in Spokane farms their older transmission rebuilds out to them.

https://www.germantransaxle.com/
PDXBob
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 12 2023, 12:49 PM) *

Pull only the shifter assem, clean and inspect the 1/R spring loaded detent plate for wear. Rebuilding the trans is no cure for a spent plate.

Thanks for the suggestion rhodyguy. Has anyone else had experience with this?
mepstein
QUOTE(PDXBob @ Nov 12 2023, 02:25 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 12 2023, 12:49 PM) *

Kevin is correct. Your shifting experience is only as good as the weakest link. Shifter, linkage, bushings and transmission all work together.
PDXBob
[quote name='mepstein' date='Nov 12 2023, 04:02 PM' post='3112470']
[quote name='PDXBob' post='3112459' date='Nov 12 2023, 02:25 PM']
[quote name='rhodyguy' post='3112444' date='Nov 12 2023, 12:49 PM']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Kevin is correct. Your shifting experience is only as good as the weakest link. Shifter, linkage, bushings and transmission all work together.

This website and you guys are the best source of auto info I’ve ever seen!!! Thanks so much.

Is there a shift kit that someone sells that I could get to refresh shifting, before having tarnsaxle rebuilt? Maybe a video also about transaxle or bushing info. Thanks in advance!
PDXBob
mepstein
Bushing kit is easy and inexpensive. I’m sure there are YouTube videos. Easily done by a novice mechanic- I did it. Old bushings often disintegrate so they are the first thing to replace.
Retroracer
QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Nov 12 2023, 11:00 AM) *

These folks are in Bend. No personal experience but the indy I've used in Spokane farms their older transmission rebuilds out to them.

https://www.germantransaxle.com/

My experience with these guys (local to me) was not great. I phoned them for a quote for a 914 transaxle rebuild, while having the website price up in front of me. They quoted a price $1000 more than the web page stated. When asked if they would honor the publicly quoted price they said "No. We need to change the web site".

Lovely.

I hung up and shipped the trans to Dr Evil instead.

- Tony

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.