Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery Tray
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sdoolin
It has finally happened. The battery tray in my car was repaired years ago - before I bought the car. The repair seemed solid enough to me, but it has failed and must be fixed. I will get the engine out of the car this week, and will remove gas lines and other items in the area. Is there anything specific that I need to be looking for? And, can this be repaired without collateral damage to the rest of the car?

I can't weld, so it'll need to go to a body shop, or I'll get a friend who can weld to do the repair. I think.

Al horror stories and advice are welcome.
914werke
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
sdoolin
QUOTE(914werke @ Nov 13 2023, 11:34 AM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

I knew I was gonna hear that. Pics coming as soon as the engine is out.
sdoolin
Engine is out finally snapped a few pics. I'm thinking I clean up what is here, and tack or spot weld things back into place? I really know nothing about welding. But I have friends that do.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Shivers
If you pull off the passenger rear tire, you can see the metal behind the battery tray. Mine was eaten away including the metal behind the top tray. I cut out the rusty metal, used it as a template and welded in the shaped patch. I pulled out the tray from my 72, I had holes where I wanted to weld it to the car. Welding through the holes and grinding gave it a clean round weld. I’ll look for a pic.

The patch
Click to view attachment

The rest of it.
Click to view attachment
930cabman
QUOTE(Shivers @ Nov 19 2023, 02:50 PM) *

If you putt off the passenger rear tire, you can see the metal behind the battery tray. Mine was eaten away including the metal behind the top tray. I cut out the rusty metal, used it as a template and welded in the shaped patch. I pulled out the tray from my 72, I had holes where I wanted to weld it to the car. Welding through the holes and grinding gave it a clean round weld. I’ll look for a pic.

The patch
Click to view attachment

The rest of it.
Click to view attachment

And that is how it's done piratenanner.gif

Often times it is more involved, hold your breath
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.