Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine input
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brooks944
Please see attached pic. What would cause this and how can it be fixed? Engine is out of the car and was sitting in the car for a couple of years without being run. When last tried to start is appreared to be hydro locked and would not turn over. Appreciate your input and recommendations.
ThanksClick to view attachment
technicalninja
Flooded or really wet storage.

The hydro-lock kills that in my book...

Thats a tear down and inspection for me.

I don't re-use highly rusted parts if there is any way to acquire un-rusted stuff.

The retainers and the springs are most likely trash.

914sgofast2
Looks like that engine was left out in the rain. As already mentioned, looks like a tear down is needed to determine the extent of the water damage.
930cabman
It might run OR it might not. Depends how desperate you are? Can you see inside the cylinder bores?
worn
QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 13 2023, 01:42 PM) *

It might run OR it might not. Depends how desperate you are? Can you see inside the cylinder bores?

Sure that you want to look? I mean that I like to nurture hope.
emerygt350
Seems odd it is only in that one spot on the retainer. Almost looks cooked/carbonized.
Shivers
Just looking, the stuff on the retainers reminds me of an engine run on paraffin based oil. From what I see on the head it looks like it was stored outside. Borrow a bore scope, pull the plugs and look in the cylinders for rust. Might not be as bad as it looks.
emerygt350
I use this one, works great, super cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/NIDAGE-Automotive-In...C79&sr=8-19

Mikey914
2 ways to go on this
1 bring back the dead-
Change the oil, look for lots of wayer. If its less than a tablespoon you may be in luck.

Pull plugs, soak with seafoam a day, try to turn it over. If you get 360 degrees, soak again another day. Try getting 10 rotations, soak again, repeat 2-3 more times. If you haheve good movement, change the oul again, check for crud and water.

If you don't have any big pieces or more water put back together and fire up. The big risk is spinning bearings. It will work or not. You then have a zombie motor that may last years or days.

If you do the above, be prepared to shut dawn at the 1st sign of trouble.

Or
2 Tear down and you are guaranteed to spend at least 3k and be down for a few months at best.

I've been lucky with option 1 before on my son's car, but really depends on your situation.

Best of luck to you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.