Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine removal- jack plate and engine yoke questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
roundtwo
Now an empty nester with some time to finally work on my car’s.

Looking for a jack plate that works with a 911 3 L and a 914 2 L. I emailed Chris at Tangarine Racing to see if his jack plate works on a 911 engine too. Anybody have any experience with this?

I see Pelican makes a nice plate for 911-6. Click to view attachment looks well made.

I’m not sure if it works well for 914 engine.

Looking to pick up an engine yolk, as well as I’d like to get both engines eventually on an engine stand. Hitting the engine off a jack onto a stand… do most people have to heft it up with some friends or is there a way to do it solo? Chain hoist ?

If anyone has any of these parts to sell used, I’d be interested.

Thanks for your help. Todc
Optimusglen
I have the yellow 6-cyl jack plate pictured above. It works pretty well. Much better than using a regular jack and trying to balance it. Worth the price if you plan on using it a few times.

For the 6-cyl it's pretty easy to drop the motor for valve adjustments etc.
Jack Standz
To get the engine on the stand by yourself:

Bolt the engine yoke on the engine.

Use an engine hoist (soft straps work well) to lift the engine up to the engine stand.

Also, depending on your engine stand, you might consider modifying it so you can hold the engine at any angle. Similar to the modified stand in the photo, weld a large nut on the stand and use a matching sized bolt with a rod welded on the top of the bolt for a handle .
roundtwo
Thanks for the tips

Chris let me know his adapter plate is constructed specifically for the 4 cylinder.

I’m thinking I might be able to modify the pelican plate to fit the 4 cylinder as well. The bigger engine more my concern as it’s much more dicey. I’ll go with that plate.

Guess there’s no way getting around the hoist. I did read somewhere to be sure the headers are off your engine if you rotate it upside down on the stand. The exhaust plaque can come loose and fall in through the exhaust valves - major bummer!

Jack Standz
Most normal engine stands will not be a problem.

You can't really rotate the engine upside down with the heat exchangers or headers on. The HEs will hit the stand when you rotate the motor. But, you can start with the engine upside down.

You really need the engine hoist because even though you might be able to lift the engine, it's an awkward shape. But, if you can have a friend or neighbor help, it goes really pretty well.
sixaddict
I had the one you posted but also bought the Tangerine version for the -4.
Both work well.
roundtwo
Thanks for all the insight.

I'll go with the pelican plate and see if I can adapt it to the 914-4 engine when the time comes.

I do have a quickjack but the range is pretty limited to put the engine on an adjustable table lift. The table takes up a lot of vertical space where the jack drops really close to the ground. That's why I'll go with the combo floor jack and plate.

I've seen what @tygaboy has done with his highly modified engine/ trany lift. Super slick- not sure i have the skills and fortitude to make such a contraption.
brant
give your neighbor a beer to help you lift the motor once on the ground.
3 pairs of hands even better than 2

hard to store a hoist for how little you will use it on an air cooler car.
they are really made to pull engines out of the top on water cooled cars
something that is worth borrowing when needed.. .but not worth the storage space of owning. (compared to all of the other tools you do need to own for a teener)
jackspratt
Never put an engine on a stand. So here's a question.
Can I put a Zalex starter adapter on AFTER I put the engine yoke on and on the stand.
So when the engine is on the stand. Can I put that Zalex starter adapter ring on?

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.