Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nice example
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Charles Freeborn
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-porsche-914-6-88/
Justinp71

Seen this car in person, heck been on the track with it. Yes it is very nice, it must be very fast too with those hp/weight numbers.
campbellcj
Looks like a beautiful car - interested where it lands price wise particularly being a real -6. The technical specs and overall 'vibe' are similar to my conversion.
Charles Freeborn
Didn't make reserve. BaT is probably not the best venue for a specialized car like that.
infraredcalvin
Is it me or does it look t like that thing has been in front and rear accidents. Inner fender panels on front and rear look really wavy, rear looks to have been sectioned, or that’s a seam weld line, either way this car has seen a lot of action.
Charles Freeborn
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Nov 20 2023, 07:11 AM) *

Is it me or does it look t like that thing has been in front and rear accidents. Inner fender panels on front and rear look really wavy, rear looks to have been sectioned, or that’s a seam weld line, either way this car has seen a lot of action.

‘Tis a racecar…
BillJ
And totally wrong powerplant. A 2.7 places it against the 3 ltr rsr cars. Terrible engine choice unless you dont care to cheat and go in a lower class. I bit my tongue on that auction but it really will be slaughtered.
Charles Freeborn
QUOTE(BillJ @ Nov 20 2023, 10:10 PM) *

And totally wrong powerplant. A 2.7 places it against the 3 ltr rsr cars. Terrible engine choice unless you dont care to cheat and go in a lower class. I bit my tongue on that auction but it really will be slaughtered.

Agreed. Should be a 2.0/6
brant
Nobody. Except me
Runs a 2.0/6

I’ve gone to events for 25 years
I’m practically the only 2.0 racing
Once in while there is one. Often CVAR

There are not that many 914’s racing
But I’d bet that 95 percent have bigger engines than my tiny 2.0/6

I thought it was kinda funny the seller claimed it would run group 8 in SVRA
That’s my class

I think more likely it would actually run group 6 with jeff beck and the big motors
campbellcj
I was surprised it didn't sell but the market is definitely much narrower for race cars and so there's way more of a timing element involved in getting the listing in front of someone ready to buy right then.

My findings re the engine size are about the same - with VARA in SoCal I believe this car as well as my own would fall in GTU with the >2.5L displacement cars i.e. the "big bore" Porsches as well as V8 Mustangs and the like. I will potentially build a 2.4xx next time my engine comes apart or gets replaced for this reason.
Charles Freeborn
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Nov 23 2023, 06:11 AM) *

I was surprised it didn't sell but the market is definitely much narrower for race cars and so there's way more of a timing element involved in getting the listing in front of someone ready to buy right then.

My findings re the engine size are about the same - with VARA in SoCal I believe this car as well as my own would fall in GTU with the >2.5L displacement cars i.e. the "big bore" Porsches as well as V8 Mustangs and the like. I will potentially build a 2.4xx next time my engine comes apart or gets replaced for this reason.

Likewise. My next engine will be a 2.4xx in order to satisfy SPU which is our version of GTU here in the PNW
campbellcj
The current POC classing here in SoCal is not kind to higher power 914 builds either as a few years back they switched to GT classes based purely on power-to-weight, plus some DOT vs non-DOT tire subdivisions I think. My car and this one almost certainly land in GT3 with the modern cars with real aero, PDK in some cases, and huge mechanical grip. The only option I know of is adding like 300-400lbs ballast to drop into GT4 where you're still up against cars with more aero and more tire.
Charles Freeborn
There's a plug on facebook from the owner - wants $80k for it.
Being street legal, down in CA it could fetch that as a track day / cars and coffee car. There are people with that sort if play money in the Bay Area and LA.

But yeah, hard to class as a club racer - vintage maybe, but none of the P or GT classes. Even in vintage, as said it'll be up against legit 6's and other well built cars with more modern specs.

That said, our local retired Indy car driver has set track records at PIR (Portland) in both HP and EP classes in a Huffaker Sprite and an S2000. Both very well built and tuned cars. And yeah, former pro driver...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.