Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brakes or struts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
-JR-
So I've got a dilemma.

For years I have been collecting parts for my 914-6 project that's underway right now.
I acquired a 911 front end clip. Came off an "SC car", but I think now it was a replica because of 3" caliper bolt spacing.
Later I acquired some 993 front calipers and then some 986 rears.

Now the dilemma...
My Boge struts are 3" caliper spacing but at least they are the pin type, not pinch.

No one makes 3" to Brembo front adaptors (that I've found and seems to be frowned on)

A little background, this is a 3.6L GT car build. These brakes are definitely over kill, but cool, much like the 3.6 and other retro mod improvements.

So do I replace the struts or the brakes?

I don't want to go away from the Brembo type calipers, but not stuck on the ones I have. Please no ATE brake suggestions.

What does the community think?
Montreal914
Why not go with the Alfa Brembo or get some of PMB's Brembo? All work perfectly on the 3" struts. smile.gif
mepstein
I would suggest consulting with Eric Shea at PMB. But here’s my question. Will 993 and 986 calipers even fit on 3.5 struts and 914 trailing arms? Even with adapters? And will they fit under the wheels you want to use. Do you want the heavy rotors that fit those calipers? E-brake?

So my suggestion is to back up, decide on the brake system you want for the car, sell off the parts you don’t need ( it might be everything) and put together the components that will all work together, fit your car properly and give you the final results you are looking for.

beerchug.gif
BillJ
agree.gif
infraredcalvin
Another vote agree.gif

Do it right, FWIW I have 993 tt brakes front and rears on my 3.4 -6, it’s nice and cool to have those big reds but really overkill. I have a hard time heating them up on the street, and catch myself over braking on the track…. They barely fit under 16” Fuchs (they require a spacer to clear), and rubber is increasingly hard to find.

I’m thinking about downsizing to early turbo brakes, just don’t want to spend the $$$ just yet…

Good luck! Post pics of your build please!
eric9144
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 17 2023, 04:19 AM) *

I would suggest consulting with Eric Shea at PMB. But here’s my question. Will 993 and 986 calipers even fit on 3.5 struts and 914 trailing arms? Even with adapters? And will they fit under the wheels you want to use. Do you want the heavy rotors that fit those calipers? E-brake?

Yes, yes the do fit happy11.gif

I second talking to PMB always for all things brakes.

There are adapters readily available to fit the Boxter brakes onto 914 trailing arms, here's the quick google example:
https://www.rsrproducts.com/product-page/re...per-adaptor-kit

These are 993TT brakes and they fit under 16" Fuchs. You do lose parking brake but might be able to do the 911 parking brake with the tangerine kit.

If I were doing it now I'd go Boxter brakes, it's kind of an easy button to modern braking.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
burton73
Shown is the front end for Mark. Sonners 2170 RAT Blue car at PMB that was going to be my V8 car, but I changed directions on it. Sent it all to PMB to finish the car. 914-4 a-arms with new rubber bushings, 911 Carrera hubs, 911 Carrera steering rack, turbo tie rods and new bearings and ball joints. Eric set it up with his Alpha calipers on 3 inch.

It is as clean as any I have seen and Eric says it is going to stop big time.

Bob B Burton
Click to view attachment first.gif driving-girl.gif
worn
I am thinking that stepping back to the struts that give you 3.5 inch spacing opens up the most doors. Five lug wheels and 911 brakes. I live my 911 s brakes, but doubt that is the best of all possible worlds. The responses show an indication of the many possible routes. Good luck and please keep us posted.
-JR-
Thanks guys!

As per some of the other comments in the thread...
Yes the 993 calipers can fit on the car, !BUT! I have the problem I have now. No adaptors for the 3" caliper mounts.

Rears aren't a problem, there are adaptors for the there but they are not suppose to be used on the fronts.

I like the Alpha caliper idea, but offset becomes an unknown. Not sure what it would take rotor wise or spacing. Anyone on the forum here use these before?

So I guess I'm back to the same issue again.

I'll also try calling PMB as well!

As for the forum "rules" , this post is useless without pictures. So here we go!
Here are some recent pictures of my build. I'm about 14mo into it, still in metal. But hope to be spraying epoxy primer in the next couple weeks. I post fairly regularly on Bookface.
mepstein
Alfa calipers have the same spacing and offset as a stock M caliper/914-6. So use an early 911hub (69-72), a 911T rotor (available at flaps, online, PMB, etc) and you are good to go. Fits your 3” struts. Less expensive are 911914-6 am calipers. Send them to PMB to make them new.

A great combo for the rear would be a 911 M caliper and tangerine racing e-brake kit. Low cost but the same piston size as a 914-6 caliper. Uses vented T rotors on the back and all the spacing is correct.

The Alfa front, M rear would give you the equivalent of 914-6 brakes with a lighter front caliper/larger pad and use off the shelf parts with out any adapters. Fits every wheel combo.

There is a seller or two on eBay offering reproduction Alfa calipers for good prices or find some originals and send to PMB.
Justinp71

I did 3.5" struts with wilwood calipers and decent pads. On the track with good pads it braked insanely well, was almost addicting. Now running R4-S porterfield pads on the street and its about perfect. Have the same pads on the rear with 914-6 calipers.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.