Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Trunk Hinge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hqbibb
My rear trunk hinge has apparently fallen apart. I'm soliciting opinions regarding using the original design replacement vs the JWest setup. Especially given that I'm not a welder (although I do have a son who is), I'm intrigued by the JWest. Any downsides for me to consider other than price?
GregAmy
Potential loss of fingers, but that risk is there whichever way you go... biggrin.gif

I did the JWest. Unless you're shooting for a concourse restoration, that's the easy button.

Can you even get a new OEM piece any more?
rjames
I did the JWest hinge before I learned how to weld. It's a very stout and well-designed piece. No danger of ever having to revisit the issue.
rfinegan
JWest for me
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Keep your 914 original!

QUOTE(hqbibb @ Nov 17 2023, 09:40 AM) *

My rear trunk hinge has apparently fallen apart. I'm soliciting opinions regarding using the original design replacement vs the JWest setup. Especially given that I'm not a welder (although I do have a son who is), I'm intrigued by the JWest. Any downsides for me to consider other than price?

Cairo94507
I agree with the Doc on this. If you have someone (son) who can weld, fix it the right way (factory) and never worry again. I know the J West kit works quite well, but I always appreciate the stock attachments. beerchug.gif
Ishley
I had one bad one on my 72. I mulled both options and then decided I could helicoil the bad one. Drilled it… tapped it… installed a helicoil and it’s done. I really was worried about alignment and the difficult position to work in. Unless the engines out and everything is out of the way… it is a tough reach. My trunk hinges work well. Besides the rust etc… the weak link is the bolt… and the Jwest seems to be the best alternative if you have to replace it. It also has more adjustment options to dial in the alignment.
Matt Romanowski
We just did one and used the original. The JWest looks like a nice piece of kit, but it's a little too different for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.