Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steve Nieslony...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
They busted me for shooting this video. unsure.gif
GGR wants any video device to be secured inside the car.

I had it strapped to my hand and was wearing the neck strap.
Only way it was going to leave the car is if I did! ohmy.gif

I like this video, as I was able to look ahead with Steve as he drove the car.
The sound of his FOUR cylinder race motor is AMAZING.

At the very end I bumped the still shot button and lost the final second as he crosses the finish line. headbang.gif

I think you will like this one mueba.gif

21x in-car

KT
Trekkor
icon_bump.gif

I want all eyes and ears to hear this screaming FOUR with one of the most experienced 914 a/x drivers around.

Notice how Steve has to feather the throttle out of the start to avoid snap oversteer and a spin. ohmy.gif

KT
grantsfo
Trekkor your such a rebel - I saw you with the handheld video cam and figured you'd get busted, but glad you got this one!

Its always a pleasure to watch Steve drive that car. I credit any of my success with my underpowered car from watching Steve, Andrew, Howard and more recently Albert like a hawk when I'm out on the course. I study their lines, speed/gear choice, etc and try to incorporate their techniques into my driving.

redshift
biggrin.gif
jr91472
damn.........................so what is it?

details please biggrin.gif
Trekkor
914 2.0 FOUR, high compression with carbs on race gas.

Maybe Steve will tell us more...

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE (trekkor @ Aug 19 2005, 02:48 PM)
914 2.0 FOUR, high compression with carbs on race gas.

Maybe Steve will tell us more...

KT

I have always wondered what kind of displacement that motor has? For as light as Steve's car is a 2056 could probably be enough power.
J P Stein
He tole me it was "near stock"...."near" must be relative to sumthin' I'm not familar with. From a quick look at his car, I guessing 15-1600 lbs. He blew my doors off tho. I want a rematch laugh.gif

Tough course for a 914, specialy at the first section. A good reason for a "B" first gear.
redshift
That is one sexy mount he has there... I love that car.

M
Dman
He told me his car is stock 2.0 displacment, but he is able to rev it real high ~ 7000rpm.

His motor sounds great at high RPM!
Maltese Falcon
Nice Vid Trekkor- that 2.0 is a runner smilie_pokal.gif
marty
grantsfo
QUOTE (Dman @ Aug 19 2005, 03:31 PM)
He told me his car is stock 2.0 displacment, but he is able to rev it real high ~ 7000rpm.

His motor sounds great at high RPM!

He definitely can rev higher. I was on rev limiter in second gear where he was still accelerating. And he has more bottom end then any 2.0 I have ever driven based on the cars acceleration. Guess the increased low end power could be low weight of the car.

Trekkor
I think the only visible body steel are the doors and targa bar smilie_pokal.gif

KT
DanT
Steve told me recently that the car in it's last life was a national SCCA champion in the hands of Jeff Reitmeir, more than once!
It is a very well prepared, very light car that was made just to AX. smilie_pokal.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE (Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Aug 19 2005, 08:36 PM)
Steve told me recently that the car in it's last life was a national SCCA champion in the hands of Jeff Reitmeir, more than once!
It is a very well prepared, very light car that was made just to AX. smilie_pokal.gif

This got me curious.
A man with a book is a terrible thing.
There was a 3 time National champ 914/4 driver in E-Mod...over 2.0L, 1500 lb min. His name was Gary Walton, from Mt. View, CA years 82 thru 84.

When I looked at the car, I figured D-Mod. If that's the car, I was off one class. biggrin.gif
DanT
Gary is still around. He and his son Rich are the owners of Smart Racing Products.
Rich is one of the founders of the Nasa 911 Toyo cup.
Both very good drivers. I don't know about the car Steve has now as to where it came from before Jeff Reitmeir drove it. I suspect that Jeff and his Dad Joe, (Reitmeirs Werkstat) in Los Altos I believe, built that car themselves. Jeff has been an SCCA AX champ on several occasions, some of them were driving the car that Steve now owns. Some were driving a BMW M3.
biggrin.gif

Here are the championships that Jeff Reitmeir has as you can see the first two are for a Porsche 914 2.0L
Thought it might be of interest.

8 time SCCA Solo 2 (auto-x) National Champion
1991-Porsche 914 2.0
1992-Porsche 914 2.0
1993-BMW 318i
1995 Porsche 944S2
1996 Porsche 944S2
1997 Porsche 944S2
2002 BMW M3
2003 BMW M3

Winner of the BMWCCA Franz Fetchner Auto-x Shootout Award 2002
Porsche Club GGR Time Trial Series Champions Classes CP and DI 2002/2003
Numerous Pro-Solo Championships

Steve is a great driver in his won right. Steve and I competed against each other in the mid '90s with stock (BI) 2.0L 914s. He was always wicked quick. pray.gif
J P Stein
Yes, his 914 wins were in C/S and another fella won again
in 93 with a 914. No wonder the 914 got stuck is C/S so long biggrin.gif
jbegood2000
VERY COOL !!! That car sounds hot !!!
Steve_7x
Trekkor... thanks for posting... clap.gif

that cameras sure bounced a lot while I was driving - lol

To answer some questions... the engine is a 2.0 and is using stock european pistons. Yes it is high comporession and yes it pulls to 7000rpm. Has double wound springs and an Elgin cam and carillo rods and carbs. The car and engine were originally built in the late 80's so it using some older technology - but it still goes plenty quick for me.

I am not sure if Jeff won his national championship with this car or his BP class equivalent 914 that he drove before he and Joe built this one... but it was driven by Jeff, Stacey and Joe back when we ran at Alameda County fairgrounds out in Pleasanton etc... in the late 80's (I am getting old and my memory is fading). As I understand it they bought the car 'in a box' (unfinished project) and built it up and ran GGR and SCCA.

Gary Walton drove a 914-4 2.6 (?) liter back in the early 80's. If you talk to Bruce Anderson about the engine you will be amazed. It was Black with red and Orange stripping around the car. It was light and had a ton of HP. When I 1st began autocrossing there were some epic battles between Gary Walton, and the Walt Maas (IMSA GTU Champ in a 914-6) and Terry Zaccone who shared a 2.8l 914-6 TTOD car. Imagine a time when the biggest 911 engine was a 3.0 SC and before that an 3.0RSR - those 914's were big engined and very fast.

JP... rematches are available driving.gif

Dan... BI and BP were very fun and competitive classes back in the day... even when it was EP (think Larry Wilson, Dwight Mitchell, Greg Peart, Ray Scruggs, Larry Sharp, Bob Peake, Ken Mitchell and a few other names I have forgotten).

Grant... you have been doing very good and have learned the momentum game, which is key to driving small bore cars at an auto-x. I commented over the PA that you were doing a great job of carrying your momentum which reflected in your excellent times.

Thanks for the compliments guys :-)

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.