Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Low butt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Boothy
Morning!

I FINALLY got my '74 back on its feet and running. Her butt is riding low. I read a few of the posts here but still fuzzy.

I have Koni Reds and I read that they have an adjuster. But it that for firmness of ride height?

It's just a commuter so I don't need anything wild. Do I adjust the shocks, put in bigger springs, progressive springs? Bump up to 200lb springs? I see the adjusters you can buy.

Thanks!
VaccaRabite
This becomes an aesthetic thing. And pics help a TON.
As stock these cars for US delivery had a raised front end due to US headlight rules. So your car may just be a stock ride height.

Personally, if your rear is low, I think you should lower the front to match and then get it aligned.

Zach

Boothy
Thank you!

I'll take some photos but the front does look high now that you mention it. There's like an inch between the top of the tire and the wheel well.

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Nov 20 2023, 09:53 AM) *

As stock these cars for US delivery had a raised front end due to US headlight rules. So your car may just be a stock ride height.

Personally, if your rear is low, I think you should lower the front to match and then get it aligned.

Zach

infraredcalvin
Longer or stiffer springs (200s are going to be stiff for a street driven car), look for some progressives, I had some 165s that worked well, but they also lowered the car a bit, so this may not solve your issue. I don’t know if konis have provisions for an adjustable perch, it check, see if you can raise the perch.
bdstone914
A slightly nose down stance is best. Measure the distance from the rocker panels to the ground. You can raise the back or lower the front.
I have sone Koni soribg spacers if you want to raise the back. Requires removing the shock assembly and sorings and putting the spacer under the lower perch.
@Boothy
NARP74
Wasn't the stock stance where the rocker line below the doors intersected the center of the wheel caps? I thought I saw that somewhere. I put a laser line on mine to get a general idea of the current stance.
Boothy
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 20 2023, 10:14 AM) *

A slightly nose down stance is best. Measure the distance from the rocker panels to the ground. You can raise the back or lower the front.
I have sone Koni soribg spacers if you want to raise the back. Requires removing the shock assembly and sorings and putting the spacer under the lower perch.
@Boothy

PM sent on the spacers. Thanks!
rjames
Another variable is your shocks as the may have adjustable spring perches that allow for raising or lowering the back end.
wonkipop
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Nov 20 2023, 08:53 AM) *

Zach

not so sure about that.
the 6s were not set up nose up from factory.
same headlights, same headlight laws?
in theory if the headlight height was the case then sixes would be like 4s.

i believe US headlight hts were solved with the pop up units.
whole reason for pop ups on all sorts of cars later on.

the theory i favour is VW dictated understeer set up for the 4s.
as only the fours appear to have been delivered nose up.

VW did much the same thing with the set up on 411s and 412s, superbugs and even type 3s. they all sat nose up. in part to take luggage loads in the front trunk but also i understand to "engineer" in understeer to counter their natural tendency to oversteer.

the original boges had no adjustment in the perches. so it was a single setting for the rear spring set up from factory. you could lower the front to level out to where the springs naturally sat the rear.

mine still had its original boges when i pulled it out to recommission it 5 years ago.
replaced the front shocks and rear with billstiens.
the bills have the adjustable rear perches so you can play with the rear setting.
i ended up raising the rear a tad and then levelling the car.
Front yard mechanic
Lay off the Chick-fil-A
wonkipop
stock factory settings back in 89 in chicago. on boges. ride height at rear is a one hit outcome. front set high where factory had it. car was original one owner when i got it.

Click to view attachment

these days on billstiens. rear perch on billstein selected closely matching original perch on boges. car set up level from there. sits a tad higher at rear than original.
could easily lower rears by one perch and level it out again lower all round.
but kind of like it at this setting. rides nice through harsh bumps.

Click to view attachment
wonkipop
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Nov 20 2023, 03:10 PM) *

Lay off the Chick-fil-A

waffle it may be.
but its true.

no odd US headlight laws ever in australia.

all the later VWs stock sat with the nose up after the IRS came in around 69.
the beetle and the type 3 i had back in late 70s and 80s rode nose up.

only modded VWs ran level and low.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

much earlier during the 60s with the swing axles they tended to sit more level.
my mother's 64 beetle did not have the later nose up stance.

nose up is a VW thing world wide after a certain date.
and i'm pretty sure it was to do with the change from swing axles at the rear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.