Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What tool to remove/install bezels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StarBear
Gauge-curious: What tool is used to remove and install the black outer bezels on the center console oil and temp gauges? Is there a source and approx cost?
Looking to buy (or borrow) one to clear the fog haze off the inside glass surfaces.
Not sure if I trust myself with the small screwdriver pry method list in a past thread. Last resort would be to ship to CA, but seems excessive for just glass back cleaning.
FlacaProductions
Small, thin straight screwdriver is the ticket.
Gauge face down on a towel. Go slow - you'll get it.
76-914
agree.gif And you only need to roll up ~2/3 of it. When you re-install it the back side will have some peaks as it is stretched when prying it off. beerchug.gif
StarBear
beer.gif
Good to know face side down. Better leverage.
bkrantz
The more patient you can be, i.e. pry each spot only a tiny bit as you go around, the less peaky the bezel will look when you crimp it back into place (and be patient crimping).
DC_neun_vierzehn
A jewelers tool works well. Otherwise, the smallest, thinnest flathead screwdriver (the kind you need to change batteries on kids toys and small electronics). Go slow, be patient, be gentle. Do some Googling … you’ll see videos.

Ian Karr did a video on 914 gauges.
StarBear
Thanks to all for the encouragement. On my winter “fiddling with” list!
Will check out Ian’s video.
peteinjp
Or you can buy a new bezel and work it on with a plastic trim tool. Put the unit face down on a soft cloth and work the back edge of the bezel over and down the back of the gauge. Take your time and go around multiple times slowly changing your angle and crimping the back edge down.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
StarBear
Like the idea of new bezels. Black Friday or Christmas list!
Jamie
QUOTE(StarBear @ Nov 21 2023, 09:22 AM) *

In anticipation of such a winter project, where can we buy new bezels, such as for my speedo? confused24.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Jamie @ Nov 21 2023, 09:42 AM) *

QUOTE(StarBear @ Nov 21 2023, 09:22 AM) *

In anticipation of such a winter project, where can we buy new bezels, such as for my speedo? confused24.gif

Apparently lots of places. Who knew! I just Googled "where can I buy new VDO black bezels" and was pleasantly surprised. beerchug.gif
StarBear
Yeah, but none is correct - 52mm, triangle, aluminum. There was one NOS on eBay but it was gone by the time I went down to check diameter and if triangle or round. Most all 52mm ones seem to be plastic and/or round. sad.gif
peteinjp
QUOTE(StarBear @ Nov 22 2023, 07:46 AM) *

Yeah, but none is correct - 52mm, triangle, aluminum. There was one NOS on eBay but it was gone by the time I went down to check diameter and if triangle or round. Most all 52mm ones seem to be plastic and/or round. sad.gif

Try 2 1/16”
worn
QUOTE(StarBear @ Nov 20 2023, 01:38 PM) *

Gauge-curious: What tool is used to remove and install the black outer bezels on the center console oil and temp gauges? Is there a source and approx cost?
Looking to buy (or borrow) one to clear the fog haze off the inside glass surfaces.
Not sure if I trust myself with the small screwdriver pry method list in a past thread. Last resort would be to ship to CA, but seems excessive for just glass back cleaning.

I have always felt that there ought to be a bezel opener that would work in a manner analogous to a can opener. When you are done it should zip the bezel back on. I know that such things sort of exist kind of. In the real world you can hammer and file a screw driver to make the perfect tool. Good luck with a needed repair,
Mikey914
I bought a new stamping machine, Thinking this may be a perfect project!
StarBear
Such a tool, if simple and inexpensive, would be a great addition to any of our toolboxes. While tooling cost may dictate viability, the market far exceeds us - many other car and marine applications for folk who want to work on or just clean their units.
Might be limited by newer plastic bezels? Market could be expanded by having variability to do 100 mm bezels, too.
My (retired) mechanical engineer brain cells are tingling……
smile.gif
Shivers
I went and looked for one, including reading a bunch of threads. I did not see this mentioned here so I’ll mention it. The pics of the machines, store bought and home made seem to have one thing in common, the bezel is bound around the outside. I would imagine it keeps the bezel in its factory shape while it is pryed open. One of the guy’s said he uses a large hose clamp and I think he said a strip of cardboard to protect the bezel from scratching.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
palo alto speedometer

QUOTE(StarBear @ Nov 20 2023, 01:38 PM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.