Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Random air cooled question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jett
… this is not about a 914 but is about our 1977 911S Targa 2.7L

Took her in to have a bad ground fixed that was blowing a fuse on the clock/lighter circuit. While being serviced we had an oil change done although it didn’t really need it. We had 10L’s of Motul 20/50 added and new filter.

While driving home I noticed that the oil pressure during throttle was almost pinned. When we got home (2 miles) the oil reading on the gauge at rest on level ground was just above the low line. This morning we moved it on the lift for winter storage and noticed a small puddle of oil, which never happens with this car. I cleaned the undercarriage and will see in the morning.

Any ideas?
Bullethead
Was the oil level checked with engine warm, thermostat open, idling on level ground? Ten liters including filter? Is the engine stock?

FWIW, I have a '67 911S and a '68 T and both show nearly zip oil pressure at idle when warm, but pressure rises appropriate to RPMs.
Jett
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Nov 23 2023, 04:58 PM) *

Was the oil level checked with engine warm, thermostat open, idling on level ground? Ten liters including filter? Is the engine stock?

FWIW, I have a '67 911S and a '68 T and both show nearly zip oil pressure at idle when warm, but pressure rises appropriate to RPMs.

Yeah oil pressure rises during throttle but not pinning the gauge.

When measuring oil it was warm, at idle, and flat ground. Not sure how modified the 2.7 is but appears stock configuration.
Root_Werks
20/50 seems pretty thick.

There are 1,000+ threads and opinions on oil. Do some research and change out the oil. My guess is pressure will return to normal with something a little lighter.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 23 2023, 07:18 PM) *

20/50 seems pretty thick.

There are 1,000+ threads and opinions on oil. Do some research and change out the oil. My guess is pressure will return to normal with something a little lighter.

Especially for winter season. It might take a long time for that oil to really get hot (and thin).
Krieger
I am wondering what they did to fix the ground on the clock. I think (not 100%) if you ground the oil pressure sender out (or the wire from the sender to the gage) it pins the gauge. Take it back in.
Jett
QUOTE(Krieger @ Nov 23 2023, 07:09 PM) *

I am wondering what they did to fix the ground on the clock. I think (not 100%) if you ground the oil pressure sender out (or the wire from the sender to the gage) it pins the gauge. Take it back in.

My mechanic is coming over on Tuesday.

The oil pressure goes down at idle but up at throttle , so the wiring should be ok.

The engine had 20/50 in it before but the temps havee changed.

… oil on the ground was overflow and/or blow off?
falcor75
The small puddle could it be spilled oil from the refill that made its way onto the ground overnight?
mlindner
20/50 is the oil of choice on these older flat six engines.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(mlindner @ Nov 24 2023, 07:27 AM) *

I agree. Oil pressure light 'on' at idle is common as well.
Where under the engine ? front, rear, left or right ?
Could be spilled oil from the filter removal dripping from the engine tin.
Also, 10.5 qts. seems a bit high on an oil change.
You're doing the right thing. Better to be cautious.
Jett
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 24 2023, 05:17 AM) *

QUOTE(mlindner @ Nov 24 2023, 07:27 AM) *

I agree. Oil pressure light 'on' at idle is common as well.
Where under the engine ? front, rear, left or right ?
Could be spilled oil from the filter removal dripping from the engine tin.
Also, 10.5 qts. seems a bit high on an oil change.
You're doing the right thing. Better to be cautious.

Thanks!

The oil was under the drain plug area and I see no signs of a higher up drip. No oil this morning, but the car has not been started.

My mechanic is an amazing practitioner and did the wiring fix, but probably had one of his helpers do the oil change. Regarding the oil amount, I am only referencing the bill that stated 10L of 20/50.

Thanks for all of the comments.
Jett
Turned out to be what some suspected…

1. Oil on ground caused by spillage during change.
2. Oil pressure increase was old oil versus new 20/50 + temp outside is cold.
3. Oil level was fine once we let the car sit to get up to temp (180 degrees).
930cabman
All is well that ends well, your mechanic needs a different funnel
Jett
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 2 2023, 05:41 AM) *

All is well that ends well, your mechanic needs a different funnel

lol yeah, but he did come to my house to address, which was great.
arbitrary
Make sure your gauge reading matches the dipstick reading….
porschetub
QUOTE(arbitrary @ Dec 3 2023, 06:31 AM) *

Make sure your gauge reading matches the dipstick reading….

Yes but they aren't known to be that accurate and require cleaning as the sender gunks up and don't read properly ,dipstick works pretty well however .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.