Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rims and offsets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
-JR-
I've seen lots of posts on rim sizes and tires but none of them seem to include offsets.

Can anyone point me at a post that covers 914 rims and offsets?

I've got a line on some 16" Fuchs with 8" and 9" widths. This is pretty close to the maximum width a GT can accept from what I've read.

The rims I'm interested in have an offset of 10.6" front and 15" rear.
No idea what these came from, but I'm guessing some kind of 911 based on the other parts for sale.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!
914werke
HERE

bye1.gif
Chris914n6
All stock 914 wheels are 15x5.5" et40 offset

Most 911 wheels fit as far as backspacing
Thunderchief
8's and 9's are for flared 914's. Is yours flared?
-JR-
QUOTE(914werke @ Nov 23 2023, 05:42 PM) *

Good data on the part numbers.

However I've got the rim offsets, but not the acceptable 914 chassis ones.

THX!
-JR-
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Nov 23 2023, 09:37 PM) *

All stock 914 wheels are 15x5.5" et40 offset

Most 911 wheels fit as far as backspacing

Thanks Chris!

Good feedback
-JR-
QUOTE(Thunderchief @ Nov 24 2023, 03:20 PM) *

8's and 9's are for flared 914's. Is yours flared?

Thanks Chief!

Yes, sorry I thought I put that in the subject but realized I missed the point! heh

I'm building a GT car it has steel flares. Rears are measuring up with about 10.5" of space from the inner fender wall to the outer fender lip, without rolling the lip.

Wondering if I should roll the inner fender lip now while I'm still in metal work.
Won't get a better chance to do it.
Thunderchief
Click to view attachment

I measured the overall distance like you did. Your's was 10.5, mine was 12". I then measured the hub to innermost part of the fender to get the offset. There are really good videos on Youtube how to do this. In my case I ended up with a custom 9.5" rear rim with a -30 offset on a 265/40-17 tire and a 9" +18 front on 235/45-17's for reference. Your distance may vary.
sixnotfour
Nice Stuff...
-JR-
QUOTE(Thunderchief @ Nov 25 2023, 08:56 PM) *

I measured the overall distance like you did. Your's was 10.5, mine was 12". I then measured the hub to innermost part of the fender to get the offset. There are really good videos on Youtube how to do this. In my case I ended up with a custom 9.5" rear rim with a -30 offset on a 265/40-17 tire and a 9" +18 front on 235/45-17's for reference. Your distance may vary.

Wow, 12" rear. You must have widened rear flares. They look pretty "phat"!

A local set of rims with 9" rear is probably too close for me to call right now with just the bare chassis right now. The car is just a bare steel chassis on my rotisserie right now. No way for me to verify clearances.

But I did roll the rear fender lips so I should be getting closer to 11" inner fender to the inner wall now.

Thanks for the feedback!

infraredcalvin
There is plenty of room for 951 part number 16x8 Fuchs and 911 part number 16x9 fuchs

Hers is mine, 8&9 x16. I actually run a spacer on the rear hub to push the wheel away from the hub. The inside of my factory steel flares are rolled.

Click to view attachment
-JR-
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Dec 5 2023, 10:41 PM) *

There is plenty of room for 951 part number 16x8 Fuchs and 911 part number 16x9 fuchs

Hers is mine, 8&9 x16. I actually run a spacer on the rear hub to push the wheel away from the hub. The inside of my factory steel flares are rolled.

Could you confirm your rear wheel part#?
I show more than one offset available for rear 911 16x9" rims.

Thanks!
infraredcalvin
My rear wheel part number is: 911.362.118.00, 16X9, here’s a pic of the spacer I use, I forget the thickness, but it looks a little less than an inch…

Click to view attachment
NARP74
SOT @Thunderchief nice machine, do you have a shot of the front?
-JR-
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Dec 6 2023, 07:12 AM) *

My rear wheel part number is: 911.362.118.00, 16X9, here’s a pic of the spacer I use, I forget the thickness, but it looks a little less than an inch…

Thanks Pat!

Looks like the 118.00 rim is a 9x16 with 15mm offset and 130mm backspacing.
I see you rolled the lip on your rears too.

If you have it, I'd be very interested to know your rear fender well opening size. Inner to outer fender spacing.
Thunderchief
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Dec 6 2023, 07:50 AM) *

SOT @Thunderchief nice machine, do you have a shot of the front?

Not the best shot but the only one that'll fit with the mb linitClick to view attachment
NARP74
@Thunderchief Thanks, I love it!
Thunderchief
QUOTE(-JR- @ Dec 5 2023, 10:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Thunderchief @ Nov 25 2023, 08:56 PM) *

Wow, 12" rear. You must have widened rear flares. They look pretty "phat"!

A local set of rims with 9" rear is probably too close for me to call right now with just the bare chassis right now. The car is just a bare steel chassis on my rotisserie right now. No way for me to verify clearances.

But I did roll the rear fender lips so I should be getting closer to 11" inner fender to the inner wall now.

Thanks for the feedback!

If it's 12" in width then an 11" wheel will touch end to end. There's an extra inch on the lip of wheels. I went with a custom 9.5" just to make sure there was no rubbing. With a skinnier tire, I could've gone with a 10" rim.
JamesM
QUOTE(-JR- @ Nov 23 2023, 06:09 PM) *

I've seen lots of posts on rim sizes and tires but none of them seem to include offsets.

Can anyone point me at a post that covers 914 rims and offsets?

I've got a line on some 16" Fuchs with 8" and 9" widths. This is pretty close to the maximum width a GT can accept from what I've read.

The rims I'm interested in have an offset of 10.6" front and 15" rear.
No idea what these came from, but I'm guessing some kind of 911 based on the other parts for sale.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!

It depends on where you want the wheel positioned in the wheel well.

Ive been trying to work out the math on this as well while i wait for my car to come back from metal work but im waiting until i can physically meassure the completed fenders before pulling the trigger on new wheels.

What I currently know though is:
16x7 ET35 wheels running 215 width tires is about as far inboard as the wheel can sit without the tire rubbing on the inside. We are talking a millimeter or two from rubbing on the front strut cover, So close that when i had a tire running low pressure at an autocross the extra flex was enough to rub paint off the strut cover.

From there you should be able to scale it outward in theory. As an 8" wide wheel at the same offset would sit 1/2" more inboard an 8" ET23 would be about as far inboard as you could go (ET23 I believe is he most inboard that most 911 wheels would be) For a 9" wheel then this would be around ET10.

BUT that is just on the inboard side. Reason i have not pulled the trigger on the wheels yet is i need top physically measure how much space is available on the outboard side of the completed fenders. Im looking to center the 9" in the rear to allow for as wide tires as possible for autocross purposes but others looks to run it as far outboard as possible for the flush look. Depending on the flares (assuming regular GT flares) you probably have somewhere between 10-11" in the rear so my Guess is for the 9" that anywhere between +ET10 to -ET10(though likely more) should be safe but i need to physically measure this.

My current plan is around 8" ET20 in the front to keep the wheel as far inboard as possible for handling and ~ET0 in the rear for max width. As this is my autocross car appearance is secondary.

Also note this is with a stock 4 bolt setup. not sure if the 911 brake conversion changes the offset.

I also have my car setup for max camber
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.