Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plastidip Mahle wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stratfink
My Mahle wheels have needed some attention since acquiring the 914 last year. They exhibited a bluish hue possibly from the factory coating applied under the silver finish. I’ve debated painting the centers black or going all black for a while now and finally got around to experimenting today.

I had previously done some sanding and polishing of the lips. Today I convinced my wife to help with the taping, and applied the dip using my 5th spare Mahle as a guinea pig. Tape removal proved difficult as it wanted to peel the coating off, but I think I am liking the look enough to go for it on all 4 wheels. There were some lessons learned on cutting a line before peeling and I realize the plastidip will not be permanent. I could go all black which would be simpler and have less risk of peeling since there would not be a taped edge

Anyway, take a look and let me know what you think. I’d ultimately want to get black or chrome lug bolts to compliment the look…

I should note that the spare has a 205 width tire versus the 185s on the other 4 (maybe why I’m liking the look).

Thanks- Joe

Click to view attachment

rick 918-S
How did you apply it?
Geezer914
Scothbrited the wheels and sprayed them with gloss black PPG enamel. Sanded and polished the outer lip. Click to view attachment
76-914
Nice looking car. Nice lines! beerchug.gif
914sgofast2
Before removing the masking tape, run a razor blade in the seam between the tape edge and plasti-dip. That’s what I did to prevent lifting the paint when the tape was removed
moto914
Both examples look good with the silver contrast lugs.
Stratfink
Thanks for the replies.

@rick 918-s
The plastidip is a spray can application.

@914sgofast2
Thanks for the tip on the razor. Definitely a must when I do the 4 main wheels.
Geezer914
Xacto knife, any arts and crafts store.
ssstikircr
The trick with plastidip is to peel the tape as soon as you spray it. Do not let it set up or start to dry. Also peel the tape off at a very sharp angle so that the edge of tape cuts the paint. This method seem to work well for me.
Stripes on car are pastidip.

Click to view attachment
Stratfink
Great tip on peeling the tape before the plastidip dries. I’ll peel sooner on the next wheels.

Great looking car BTW!
Chris914n6
It's somewhat easier to do a rough 2" tape to keep it off the tires and wipe off the overspray to get a clean line on the lip.
pfreiburger
Yes! Love black wheels, totally agree on the silver rim.
VaccaRabite
A note on plasti-dipped wheels.

I used to do this all the time, changing wheel color annually. One of the things that I noticed was that the dip, being dip, would collect tons of brake dust. The dust seems to cling to dip way more then standard paint. At some point the dust would get into the pores of the dip and would not longer be able to easily get cleaned off. At that point the only answer was to peel off the dip.

I found that the dip would last around a year before needing to be redone. And for a while I changed wheel color every spring. Some years ago I got tired of buying dip and painting wheels so I stopped. These days I pick a color and either paint or powdercoat.

Zach
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Nov 25 2023, 10:30 AM) *

Scothbrited the wheels and sprayed them with gloss black PPG enamel. Sanded and polished the outer lip. Click to view attachment

They look great. Was that PPG rattle can or was it pro paint shop equipment?
DC_neun_vierzehn
I bought a (less than perfect finish, but straight) back up set of 4 bolt Fuchs for my ‘73 2.0. Took them to a local wheel repair shop with stellar reviews to paint black. I had them correct the minor wheel rash, paint the center caps and center of wheels satin black, and polish lips. They did a great job, used the right equipment and materials for $60 a wheel.

Two plus years later they look like they look the same. bought the correct length and seat shape black lugs on eBay for less than $50. If I ever need to, can switch back to the OG wheels. For now, I’m enjoying the black Fuchs for a more aggressive look to compliment the 2056 rebuild : )Click to view attachment
Geezer914
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Nov 28 2023, 05:26 PM) *

Just went to the PPG paint and bought a pint of black. If you want to use a rattle can, I would get black ceramic paint.
Front yard mechanic
I tend to think dip is for dips , dipsticks and potato chips slap.gif
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Nov 28 2023, 06:27 PM) *

Just went to the PPG paint and bought a pint of black. If you want to use a rattle can, I would get black ceramic paint.

How did the paint get from the pint to your wheels?
Stratfink
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Nov 28 2023, 02:45 PM) *

I bought a (less than perfect finish, but straight) back up set of 4 bolt Fuchs for my ‘73 2.0. Took them to a local wheel repair shop with stellar reviews to paint black. I had them correct the minor wheel rash, paint the center caps and center of wheels satin black, and polish lips. They did a great job, used the right equipment and materials for $60 a wheel.

Two plus years later they look like they look the same. bought the correct length and seat shape black lugs on eBay for less than $50. If I ever need to, can switch back to the OG wheels. For now, I’m enjoying the black Fuchs for a more aggressive look to compliment the 2056 rebuild : )Click to view attachment

Your car looks great and sounds like you got a super deal at $60 per wheel considering the effort to mask, paint and polish.
Geezer914
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Nov 28 2023, 10:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Nov 28 2023, 06:27 PM) *

How did the paint get from the pint to your wheels?

Spray gun/air compressor
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.