Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 engine install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
930cabman
Got the engine and trans installed today, But the war, oil lines, throttle linkage, exhaust, shift rod, and who knows what else.

Been working on this conversion for almost a year, cleaned up the engine compartment, minor hell hole repairs, remove the /4 mounts and general cleanup. Then an 11 month old came into our world and well you know. She is a little sweetie for sure and when tasked to either spend time with the /6 or, well you know who wins. Papa hits the floor just about everytime I get home and spend some time with little Emmy.

We now have 6 grandkids and one of my goals is to gift one of the machines from the stable to each one. I can't take it with me.

back to the subject, my engine builder sourced a new oil cooler for a 914/6, but it appears to have the wrong end. I have sourced a tank and some install accessories from Patrick and a hose kit from AA.

My thought was oil plumbing first, exhaust next, shifter rod and throttle linkage.

I'm sure many have been here before, any assistance is appreciated.
Freezin 914
A hurdle behind you for sure!
Little by little, you got this! And you know we will all be watching, ha!
beerchug.gif
mb911
How can I help? Not sure what you’re looking for In regards to information but the Patrick tank is 22mm just like mine and then the factory engine cooler is 30mm so I recommend to everyone to use adapters to whatever you want. Metric fittings are way overrated. I sell a kit of all the components on my website should you want to go that route www.914-6werkshop.com
rgalla9146
QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 25 2023, 06:23 PM) *

Got the engine and trans installed today, But the war, oil lines, throttle linkage, exhaust, shift rod, and who knows what else.

Been working on this conversion for almost a year, cleaned up the engine compartment, minor hell hole repairs, remove the /4 mounts and general cleanup. Then an 11 month old came into our world and well you know. She is a little sweetie for sure and when tasked to either spend time with the /6 or, well you know who wins. Papa hits the floor just about everytime I get home and spend some time with little Emmy.

We now have 6 grandkids and one of my goals is to gift one of the machines from the stable to each one. I can't take it with me.

back to the subject, my engine builder sourced a new oil cooler for a 914/6, but it appears to have the wrong end. I have sourced a tank and some install accessories from Patrick and a hose kit from AA.

My thought was oil plumbing first, exhaust next, shifter rod and throttle linkage.

Family first of course... 6 grand kids ! WOW
??? The end fitting is THE feature that makes it a 914 6 oil cooler.
If it has the wrong end it is not a '6' oil cooler. It's a 911 oil cooler
Please post pics.
Oh ! you're in the right place for help and advise.
Front yard mechanic
You sir are the luckiest man on the planet 6 grandkids and a 6 in the oven
mb911
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 25 2023, 06:32 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 25 2023, 06:23 PM) *

Family first of course... 6 grand kids ! WOW
??? The end fitting is THE feature that makes it a 914 6 oil cooler.
If it has the wrong end it is not a '6' oil cooler. It's a 911 oil cooler
Please post pics.
Oh ! you're in the right place for help and advise.

My guess again is that the oil cooler has the 30mm fitting on it which is correct for a 6 but the tank has 22mm internal threads just like mine.
930cabman
Ben, Correct, my engine builder sourced a 914/6 oil tank and the adapters from Patrick will not fit. I also have a few questions for Patrick and will be contacting them soon.

After sleeping on it, I am thinking the exhaust should be next followed by the shift linkage? Oil line maybe last, or throttle linkage. Also have a set of 40 IDTP's on the shelf.

I am sure there is a recommended sequence here,

TIA
Cairo94507
I would suggest the exhaust next and then oil lines. You might consider some heat sleeving for your oil lines depending upon what kind of exhaust you will be running; things can get pretty tight. beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 26 2023, 04:47 AM) *

Ben, Correct, my engine builder sourced a 914/6 oil tank and the adapters from Patrick will not fit. I also have a few questions for Patrick and will be contacting them soon.

After sleeping on it, I am thinking the exhaust should be next followed by the shift linkage? Oil line maybe last, or throttle linkage. Also have a set of 40 IDTP's on the shelf.

TIA

Just so you know I have a pretty inexpensive shift linkage setup I sell.

My suggestion for the tank is 22mm to -12 AN lines then a 60 degree -12 then hose then -12 straight fitting to an -12 to 30mm adapter available at Pegasus racing.
GeorgeRud
The closer you can get to the factory setup, the easier it will be to get everything to fit. mb911 has produced just about everything you need and fits together without issues.

If your conversion engine is 2.7 or larger, you’ll need a front cooler to really control oil temps.
Cairo94507
I agree with George; I would not put a 6 in a 914 w/o a front oil cooler or some sort of oil cooler. beerchug.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Nov 25 2023, 09:30 PM) *

Thank you, they all keep me on the move
930cabman
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 26 2023, 11:50 AM) *

TIA

My suggestion for the tank is 22mm to -12 AN lines then a 60 degree -12 then hose then -12 straight fitting to an -12 to 30mm adapter available at Pegasus racing.

Thank you for the offering, would you require my shift rod core? Let me know of your availability and $$. Thanks

I have started my oil system with Patrick, will give them a try this week to get the correct fittings.
mb911
QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 26 2023, 12:00 PM) *

TIA

Thank you for the offering, would you require my shift rod core? Let me know of your availability and $$. Thanks

I have started my oil system with Patrick, will give them a try this week to get the correct fittings.

I may have 1 core available shortly to use for a shift rod for you.

If you don’t get the help you need from Patrick let me know.
930cabman
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 26 2023, 06:24 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 26 2023, 12:00 PM) *

TIA

I may have 1 core available shortly to use for a shift rod for you.

If you don’t get the help you need from Patrick let me know.

Thanks for your offerings, can you PM your shipping address, I will send a shift rod out this week.
Retroracer
@930cabman - FWIW - I found it useful "roughing out" where ALL the major elements go in 3D space (linkage, exhaust, oil lines, driveshafts, brake lines) so that you can see any potential conflicts or pinch points (mechanical or thermal!) as you start to finalize positioning. Bear in mind there are exhaust header and linkage choices - but these tend to be "more fixed / limited" than the oil line routes for instance. Clearly, drive shafts are mostly invariant (they go where they need to) and be aware of how full suspension travel changes things.

Not clear from the posts, but if you are running a front oil cooler, this adds extra elements - thermostat, send / return lines - to the mix.

Lots of pics of installs on the forum of course but don't be afraid to ask for ideas / BTDT stories either. Post pics when you can?!

- Tony

930cabman
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Nov 27 2023, 11:37 AM) *

@930cabman - FWIW - I found it useful "roughing out" where ALL the major elements go in 3D space (linkage, exhaust, oil lines, driveshafts, brake lines) so that you can see any potential conflicts or pinch points (mechanical or thermal!) as you start to finalize positioning. Bear in mind there are exhaust header and linkage choices - but these tend to be "more fixed / limited" than the oil line routes for instance. Clearly, drive shafts are mostly invariant (they go where they need to) and be aware of how full suspension travel changes things.

Not clear from the posts, but if you are running a front oil cooler, this adds extra elements - thermostat, send / return lines - to the mix.

Lots of pics of installs on the forum of course but don't be afraid to ask for ideas / BTDT stories either. Post pics when you can?!

- Tony

That's where I am currently, roughing out the locations for exhaust, shift rod, oil lines,
The engine is a stock 2.7 fresh from Eckstens and being in the Northeast I am hoping to run without an external oil cooler. We shall see.
Tech challenged with regards to pics, thanks

930cabman
Is this a typical interference?

Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 28 2023, 06:57 AM) *

Is this a typical interference?

Click to view attachment

No, you will need to straighten the rod to clear the header pipe,you need to have the rod as parallel to the gearbox up to the shift console as possible ,when its right it will be pretty straight , I wasn't too fussy as I have uni-joints front and rear.
Good luck.
porschetub
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Nov 26 2023, 03:30 PM) *

av-943.gif av-943.gif very clever .
I did oil hoses first , had all the parts and hose so found that better than buying a kit which could have fitted or not,most fitting I got swaged were only one end so then I could cut the hose to correct length then mark position for fitting on the other end .
There are a lot of variables here to unsure clearance and correct length so to me it suited my situation , headers had been previously test fitted and no issues ,found I spend a lot of time fine tuning hose positions before making brackets for hose/pipe support .
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Disregard the shift rod as it was remade later came from the PO and was rubbish dry.gif .
Last pic is the crossover suction pipe which is from a later motor ,I think 2.7 and cut down to be dead on for tank suction hose .
beer.gif .
930cabman
All great photos and thank you contributors. Pipe/hose routing, shift rod are helpful.

Click to view attachment

I found a chunk of 5/8 steel rod in my scrap pile and laid it in there for fun. Could this be as simple as making the correct ends for this and go. I suspect there needs to be movement available due to chassis/engine connection
930cabman
A couple of steps closer, I found an adapter(thanks to Ben) to convert the factory 914/6 oil cooler fitting to a AN16 fitting and Ben also clarified the shift rod conversion.

I can see this project moving forward at a /6 speed
mb911
QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 27 2023, 03:21 PM) *

All great photos and thank you contributors. Pipe/hose routing, shift rod are helpful.

Click to view attachment

I found a chunk of 5/8 steel rod in my scrap pile and laid it in there for fun. Could this be as simple as making the correct ends for this and go. I suspect there needs to be movement available due to chassis/engine connection

I know you pm,d this but thought it would be helpful for others. The ends needs to be put in a fixture to hold correct angles and clocking so it shifts as it should.
930cabman
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 28 2023, 07:40 AM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 27 2023, 03:21 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I know you pm,d this but thought it would be helpful for others. The ends needs to be put in a fixture to hold correct angles and clocking so it shifts as it should.

Exactly, the geometry must be correct for this to work properly. It's no rocket science, but it's either correct or incorrect. I am sending my "core" into Ben for modification. One more thing to check off the list.
Retroracer
Some idea of what I am running on my -6 conversion:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I have Bursch headers (ceramic coated) which have a slightly different routing to the factory ones; Patrick Motorsports rear gear linkage and PMS oil scavenge hard line. I am routing the 3 rear cables in fiberglass shield material past the engine / exhaust hot spots.

Click to view attachment

As with the earlier pics posted, some custom brackets are likely in your future, just to keep things in order. FYI,

- Tony
930cabman
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Nov 28 2023, 08:48 PM) *

Some idea of what I am running on my -6 conversion:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I have Bursch headers (ceramic coated) which have a slightly different routing to the factory ones; Patrick Motorsports rear gear linkage and PMS oil scavenge hard line. I am routing the 3 rear cables in fiberglass shield material past the engine / exhaust hot spots.

Click to view attachment

As with the earlier pics posted, some custom brackets are likely in your future, just to keep things in order. FYI,

- Tony

Thank you for the pics, any/all of this information is helpful. I am sure (like anything else) the first one has a couple hurtles, but the next is always easier.
davehg
I’m a big fan of the shift rod kit from Tangerine Racing, which is on both of my 914 six conversions. It takes slop out of the side shifter.

https://tangerineracing.com/shop/ols/produc...ift-linkage-kit

Link to my two installs of this kit:
3.2 - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2782649

2.7 - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2782649
Detroit
@930Cabman , great timing for this thread!... I just finished rebuilding the 3.0L long block for my conversion. I'm waiting for a wiring loom from Perry to complete the engine. It's into a start cart after that to (hopefully) get it running. Then I'll pull the old motor, and start the conversion. I'll be watching and learning from your progress, so thanks in advance.
-Eric

Click to view attachment
930cabman
QUOTE(Detroit @ Nov 30 2023, 07:40 AM) *

@930Cabman , great timing for this thread!... I just finished rebuilding the 3.0L long block for my conversion. I'm waiting for a wiring loom from Perry to complete the engine. It's into a start cart after that to (hopefully) get it running. Then I'll pull the old motor, and start the conversion. I'll be watching and learning from your progress, so thanks in advance.
-Eric

Click to view attachment

What is the condition of your engine compartment? are the /4 mounts still in place?
brant
we made our own linkage.

cut the ear off of a 2nd side shift console... welded it onto the one we are using:

extended cup bushing holder, apex joints front and rear, plus custom made firewall bushing my machinist made for me.

still uses a stock black plastic cover we modified to fit
porschetub
QUOTE(brant @ Dec 1 2023, 05:07 AM) *

we made our own linkage.

cut the ear off of a 2nd side shift console... welded it onto the one we are using:

extended cup bushing holder, apex joints front and rear, plus custom made firewall bushing my machinist made for me.

still uses a stock black plastic cover we modified to fit

Nice ,did it a similar way ,fabbed the extra bush mount for the console , used steering uni-joints from Buggy supply and tangerine bulkhead bush.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(Detroit @ Nov 30 2023, 04:40 AM) *

-Eric

Click to view attachment

Eric,

Your engine cooler needs to be modified for the -6
Detroit
@930Cabman , My 914 is currently (mostly) stock, running car. There's plenty of work there, but I'm not going to touch it until the 3.0L is running.

@mb911 - Thanks, Ben. Honestly, I'm planning on sending it to you for modification assuming you'll do it, but would like to chat with you about it. I've a whole lot of balls in the air at the moment however, so maybe after the holidays.

In the meantime, I'd rather not hijack this thread any further. I just wanted to let Cabman know that there's someone out there learning from his efforts.

930cabman
QUOTE(Detroit @ Dec 1 2023, 07:52 AM) *

@930Cabman , My 914 is currently (mostly) stock, running car. There's plenty of work there, but I'm not going to touch it until the 3.0L is running.

@mb911 - Thanks, Ben. Honestly, I'm planning on sending it to you for modification assuming you'll do it, but would like to chat with you about it. I've a whole lot of balls in the air at the moment however, so maybe after the holidays.

In the meantime, I'd rather not hijack this thread any further. I just wanted to let Cabman know that there's someone out there learning from his efforts.

Having Ben's assistance here is the EZ button, sure we could engineer all this stuff, make cool jigs and all that, but why not utilize an experienced veteran of these conversions?
mlindner
This is the look you want for correct geometry. Complements Ben's headers. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
Cairo94507
That is all kinds of pretty. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.