Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does this look like stock exhaust?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
H2ohs
Hello, just ordered a replacement muffler for a 72 1.7 and it does not line up. New is about 1.75 wider compared to old (what is there) and does not line up with the flanges. I’m wondering if what is in my car is stock or not? It looks like my hanger has been cut too? Thoughts?
Spoke
Those look like 2.0 HE.
Dlee6205
agree.gif

Yup, you have 2.0L heater exchangers so you need the matching muffler.
H2ohs
Ha. Ok- thanks everyone. We will get this thing straight eventually.
DC_neun_vierzehn
From Bowlsby.net (ton of good info there)!

rgalla9146

You have a 2 liter hangar too.
H2ohs
Awesome, thanks! Any advantage to the 2.0 over the 1.7/8?
wonkipop
QUOTE(H2ohs @ Nov 27 2023, 07:55 PM) *

Awesome, thanks! Any advantage to the 2.0 over the 1.7/8?

original stock 2.0 muffler is very much like the design of the 911 muffler of the same period. internals probably more free flowing than VW muffler.

stock 1.7 /1.8 muffler is a standard VW type 4 muffler more or less.
there is a bit more to it when it comes to those but basically the later style muffler without the extra little tailpipe attenuator section is slightly more free flowing than the earlier ones. the earlier ones are straight off the VW 411 sedan and were designed for acoustic suppression (german TUV and USA noise level limits). the later single piece muffler is pretty much the VW bus muffler. its a tiny bit louder and a tiny bit less restricted believe it or not.

but we are talking engines with 70-80 hp so don't think a 2.0 muffler on a 1.7 makes much of a difference to a 1.7 biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

also the 2.0 repro stock muffler available are generally more expensive than the 1.7/1.8 unit. at least when you compare the prices for the dansk unit.
and the bus muffler is even cheaper than either of them and there is a trick to using one.
they bolt straight on but will exit the wrong side. but there is a trick if you have a grinder and you can weld.
majkos1

weird engine bar,

most definitely NOT original motor.

someone put in 2.0?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the 2.0 setup is a good thing. The 2.0 factory repro muffler is the best to install for overall performance. Also need some transmission tail cover mounting cups they are missing. The engine bar is a later 72 variety. Also need a plastic rear shift cover and boot
914werke
Umm... this was discussed prior. Depending on your choice of muffler you may have fitment issues.
While the prior comments are spot on, the 2.0L components were never installed/delivered combined with the early tail shift installed
H2ohs
QUOTE(majkos1 @ Nov 28 2023, 11:25 AM) *

weird engine bar,

most definitely NOT original motor.

someone put in 2.0?

I’m just digging in to this thing. I ordered all the shift linkage fixings- that’s on the winter list too. Do I check the sn to determine the engine that’s in it? Now I’m a little worried.. and excited lol
Ottomotion
How about a quick pic of the intake bolts on the heads?
H2ohs
Oh right, 3 vs 4 bolts. (Searching helps!). It’s got 4. Previous owner did have an extra 2.0 engine and maybe was using parts from it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.