Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seal Skin Cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Boothy
With another winter approaching I figured I'd comment on the Seal Skin cover. I'm just south of Boston. I've struggled with covers.

I saw the sale Seal Skin had and bought one. Looks nicely made. Fit well. First rain storm (not even a bad one) the car was wet underneath. Seems that seals are porous.

Now I have a tarp under the Seal Skin. Ridiculous. And, if you look out on YouTube the comments are turned off.

The search continues.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Boothy @ Nov 28 2023, 02:45 PM) *

Now I have a tarp under the Seal Skin. Ridiculous. And, if you look out on YouTube the comments are turned off.

I would put the tarp over the car cover, not under it. The tarp could scratch up your paint.

Zach
porschetub
QUOTE(Boothy @ Nov 29 2023, 07:45 AM) *

With another winter approaching I figured I'd comment on the Seal Skin cover. I'm just south of Boston. I've struggled with covers.

I saw the sale Seal Skin had and bought one. Looks nicely made. Fit well. First rain storm (not even a bad one) the car was wet underneath. Seems that seals are porous.

The search continues.

I bought a no brand silver cover with soft lining off Amazon for $50 tailored for a 914 and a good fit , thought it was worth a try as the previous $250 one didn't last long with our high UV here, had 5 yrs out of it now and about had it so happy to get another cheap one .
BillJ
No cost solution is tarp over the cover. What did they say about it.when you contacted customer service?
porschetub
QUOTE(BillJ @ Nov 29 2023, 09:01 AM) *

No cost solution is tarp over the cover. What did they say about it.when you contacted customer service?

agree.gif thing you have to watch is there is no way the car can vent with a tarp,car will develope mould inside , ask me how i know as this happened in my 944 even with one window down a bit headbang.gif headbang.gif .
gandalf_025
I wonder if some sort of commercial waterproofing like Scotchguard might help waterproof the outside of the cover..??
mb911
We have one on my son’s 944 and sits outside all winter. Never an issue works well
Boothy
Thanks all!

I have a note into Seal Skin. We'll see.

Good point on the tarp over the cover. I had wanted to keep it pretty but screw the neighbors. The car is more important. I'd like to put it back in the garage but the MGA is older and needs to be treated like a senior citizen. pray.gif
worn
QUOTE(Boothy @ Nov 29 2023, 09:38 AM) *

Thanks all!

I have a note into Seal Skin. We'll see.

Good point on the tarp over the cover. I had wanted to keep it pretty but screw the neighbors. The car is more important. I'd like to put it back in the garage but the MGA is older and needs to be treated like a senior citizen. pray.gif

I am not sure what to think as you criticize the sea going dogs that bark in the harbor at night. On the one hand, criticism may reduce the demand for seal skins. On the other hand, an animal with ocean going capabilities should be waterproof, and you have a right to an explanation. By all means favor the MGA. Those cars can sure corrode fast.
SirAndy
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Nov 28 2023, 02:26 PM) *

I wonder if some sort of commercial waterproofing like Scotchguard might help waterproof the outside of the cover..??

Yes, that should work. That's what the wife did when she made me a cover for my car.

IPB Image
76-914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 29 2023, 03:43 PM) *

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Nov 28 2023, 02:26 PM) *

Yes, that should work. That's what the wife did when she made me a cover for my car.

IPB Image

Where did the Mohawk go? confused24.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Boothy @ Nov 28 2023, 11:45 AM) *

The search continues.

I've had really good experience with these. They last about 4 full years outside. I notice they've gone up about $30 in the last 2 years. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09466Z64...e=UTF8&th=1
steuspeed
The tarp will scratch your paint.

I use a NOAH cover from California Car Covers and a 3 layer Covercraft cover over that. It's not cheap, but the car needs protection with values continuing to climb.
Boothy
Seal Skin replied saying "You're outside your 30 day return" and forget the lifetime warranty.

Now I understand why the Seal Skin videos on YouTube have been turned off.

At least one of you had success.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.