Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche vs. Cybertruck
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
914sgofast2
Just finished watching fElon Musk's "reveal party" for the first Cybertrucks to actually be delivered to the public. He showed a video of a Cybertruck drag racing a new 2023 Porsche 911 in the 1/4 mile. As expected, the Cybertruck beat the 911. But wait, the Cybertuck was racing the 911 while also towing a trailer with another 911 on it for the drag race, and still beat the new 911. The Cybertruck's 1/4 mile time was something like 2.8 seconds. Electrifying, but I would still prefer a new 911 to a Cybertruck.
Front yard mechanic
I’ll take the x truck with trailer and the 911
Steve
Ugliest truck ever. What is the cargo space on that thing?
rjames
At some point there is an acceleration level and top speed that becomes pointless and downright dangerous for use on public streets. We're way beyond that now. No one needs to go from 0-60 in under 3 seconds on a public road. If the drivers only killed themselves it would be slightly less tragic.
Spoke
Saw a video of someone shooting at the cybertruck. I guess it's bulletproof? Not sure if that's to point out the sturdiness of the vehicle or a reflection of the times we live in where you need a bulletproof vehicle to go to Home Depot.
SirAndy
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Nov 30 2023, 01:28 PM) *

Just finished watching fElon Musk's "reveal party" for the first Cybertrucks to actually be delivered to the public. He showed a video of a Cybertruck drag racing a new 2023 Porsche 911 in the 1/4 mile. As expected, the Cybertruck beat the 911. But wait, the Cybertuck was racing the 911 while also towing a trailer with another 911 on it for the drag race, and still beat the new 911. The Cybertruck's 1/4 mile time was something like 2.8 seconds. Electrifying, but I would still prefer a new 911 to a Cybertruck.

100% torque at 0 rpm isn't really a fair contest to begin with.

Also, that thing hasn't gotten any prettier ...
icon8.gif
Front yard mechanic
0 to 60 in three seconds! Now I really have to run when I cross the street to check the mail w00t.gif
914sgofast2
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 30 2023, 02:00 PM) *

Ugliest truck ever. What is the cargo space on that thing?

4ft. by 6ft. cargo bed on the Cybertruck.
Able to carry the typical 4ft. by 8ft. sheet of plywood with the tailgate lowered, according to fElon.
targa72e
saw my first one in the wild the other day, man what a ugly vehicle.

john
rick 918-S
Mud fence twin. Don't care how fast it is. Still can't drive across country within out fossil fuel charging the thing. Toy for the rich and aimless.
campbellcj
^ Agree, Maybe it really is more practical than it seems/looks but I struggle to see its real-world utility where someone really needs a "truck". However at least around here you see people all day long daily-driving their Raptors, G-Wagens, Wranglers, RAM TRX etc which will never see anything but suburban pavement and I put Cybertruck in that bucket.

That said, no doubt it's wild to drive and apparently it does quite well "off road".
flipb
The "Steer by wire" (with 4-wheel steering!) is remarkable tech.

Looking forward to some of the tech (e.g. 48v electronics) to reach vehicles that are less hideous and gimmicky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WDq0V5oBg
budk
I see them at a test track in Ohio all the time. It looks better in pictures than in person, but it still looks ugly in pictures.
rhodyguy
Seeing as how a 3.58 second 1/4 run is 386mph, the claimed 2.8 is a bunch of BS. Faster than a funny car or top fuel dragster? The initial truck build quality is shit from what I’ve read. How much room between the wheel wells in the bed? I imagine you could carry a FEW 2x4s if you cut 8 footers down to 4 footers. There’s enough gotta have it morons, a few will sell.
flipb
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 1 2023, 02:22 PM) *

Seeing as how a 3.58 second 1/4 run is 386mph, the claimed 2.8 is a bunch of BS. Faster than a funny car or top fuel dragster? The initial truck build quality is shit from what I’ve read. How much room between the wheel wells in the bed? I imagine you could carry a FEW 2x4s if you cut 8 footers down to 4 footers. There’s enough gotta have it morons, a few will sell.

2.8 seconds is the 0-60 time.

The 1/4 mile was 11.0 at 119mph.
horizontally-opposed
Weren't top fuel dragsters doing 0-60 in 0.5sec eons ago?

Anyone who has dropped the hammer in something like a Taycan Turbo S or Model S Plaid—or any fast EV, really—knows that there comes a point where acceleration is uncomfortably fast even unpleasant. 25 years of road and track testing insanely fast cars has seen me less and less interested in straight-line performance and more and more interested in handling, less weight, fun factor, and overall experience…all of which means the 914 just keeps getting better with time.

With all that said, the Jason Cammissa video is well worth watching. I had already made my mind up about the Cybertruck, and still don't like it, but I am seriously impressed by the engineering in this American innovation—even if I wish its lessons were applied to something…else. You might be too, and maybe they will be.
rjames
hmm
Click to view attachment
rjames
QUOTE(flipb @ Dec 1 2023, 08:44 AM) *

Admittedly this is all new stuff to me. Given that there are individual motors, if the electricity runs out, does that mean you can't steer it anymore?

The strengths of the panels is pretty amazing.
73-914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 1 2023, 07:17 AM) *

Mud fence twin. Don't care how fast it is. Still can't drive across country within out fossil fuel charging the thing. Toy for the rich and aimless.

agree.gif beer3.gif av-943.gif sheeplove.gif
73-914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 1 2023, 03:22 PM) *

agree.gif
rhodyguy
And 95” wide. 95.
Geezer914
They didn't show the cyber truck catching fire and the Porsche owners passing out marshmallows!
mate914
QUOTE(73-914 @ Dec 1 2023, 06:54 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 1 2023, 03:22 PM) *

agree.gif

It was 11 second 1/4 mile. 2.8 0-60……
Matt
Root_Werks
QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 30 2023, 02:04 PM) *

At some point there is an acceleration level and top speed that becomes pointless and downright dangerous for use on public streets. We're way beyond that now. No one needs to go from 0-60 in under 3 seconds on a public road. If the drivers only killed themselves it would be slightly less tragic.

agree.gif

Already stated, electric motors have 100% Torque at 0 RPM. Anything that goes less than 3 seconds to 60mph should require proof you can manage the power.

My 914-6 is probably an honest 6 seconds to 60
Bug 15 seconds to 60
Airplane 10 seconds to 60 (likes to depart Earth around 45mph)

All plenty quick for me and my aging reaction time.

driving.gif
Superhawk996
Get off my lawn happy11.gif
wonkipop
the new hummer?

monster trucks are not really my thing electric or otherwise but.......i don't mind the styling one bit on this one.
and it ain't futuristic.
no way.

its military grade nostalgia smile.gif
of the best kind. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

wonkipop
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Dec 1 2023, 05:21 PM) *

They didn't show the cyber truck catching fire and the Porsche owners passing out marshmallows!

biggrin.gif
one of them babies is gonna light a full on oxy torch when it does let go.
will make your average EV battery burn out look like an exploding cigarette lighter.
Stef914
Grateful that someone had the courage to craft such a uniquely designed truck, ( I personally love the way it looks ) both inside and out! Innovation can initially unsettle the public, but great minds don't always think alike. Appreciating the beauty of thinking differently. Does anyone recall Ferruccio Lamborghini and the team behind cars like Miura and Countach ……
Front yard mechanic
Can’t wait to order one in orange
Shivers
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=teRRk-0KHus
76-914
After reading this post I'm reminded of what Henry Ford said over 100 years ago. "If I asked people what they wanted they'd have said faster horses". And during these past 100+ years the IC engine has been refined to the point that current improvements are minischal. However the EV industry is in its infancy and will improve as quickly as did the computer industry. This includes the development of its battery which is really what's at the heart of the EV. The concerns are valid regarding what the current requirements and environmental impacts they play. But I'd bet my house that will turn around and quite soon. The technology, costs and environmental impact will surely improve as quickly as did the computer. Look back on the disasters we've encountered because of oil drilling, it's transportation - read Exxon Valdez, etc -, air pollution and allegedly its effect upon the climate. The conversion is happening with or without us. And I think it shall be a vast improvement over IC engines just as the Model T was over the Horse and buggy days. beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 2 2023, 11:50 AM) *

However the EV industry is in its infancy

EV’s have existed since 1890’s and dominated the early automotive landscape. beerchug.gif
73-914
How do you mine the minerals for your EV? sheeplove.gif sheeplove.gif sheeplove.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
barefoot
QUOTE(flipb @ Dec 1 2023, 11:44 AM) *

Looking forward to some of the tech (e.g. 48v electronics) to reach vehicles that are less hideous and gimmicky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WDq0V5oBg

After watching this video, I stand well impressed with Tesla engineering.
It's an in your face styling for sure, but I'm sure what they had in mind.
At $100 large it's only the big wallet and bigger ego types will buy these things but there's always a market for extreme vehicles.
For us who hold dear 50 year old design it's kinda a slap in the face dry.gif

Barefoot
ClayPerrine
I don't particularly like the design. But the tech is impressive.

Any radical change to the status quo has to start somewhere. Electric cars are in their infancy. Yes, the current electric cars have problems, and they are still fossil fueled. Instead of burning fossil fuels in the car, they burn it at a electrical generation plant and send it to the car.

When the first cars came on the scene in the early 1900s, they were noisy, noxious, and dangerous to use. People got killed all the time in them. As they gained more converts, they got all sorts of improvements to make them safer and nicer to use. 120 years of improvements to the ICE powered cars can't be compared to a decade of serious electric car development. But you have to start somewhere, and Tesla is leading the way with their electric cars. Tesla is a for profit company, so getting people to buy an electric car in favor of a ICE car is the only way to drive innovation in electric cars.

Do I want an electric car? Not yet. But I can see the potential in them. When they get the range the same as an ICE car, and the recharge time the same as it takes to refuel an ICE car, I will consider it. And they have to do something about the environmental impact related to battery production and inevitable disposal/recycling.

And if the Electric car eventually displaces the ICE powered car, I will sorely miss the mechanical music of an air cooled flat six at redline. sad.gif

mate914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 3 2023, 10:26 AM) *

I don't particularly like the design. But the tech is impressive.

Any radical change to the status quo has to start somewhere. Electric cars are in their infancy. Yes, the current electric cars have problems, and they are still fossil fueled. Instead of burning fossil fuels in the car, they burn it at a electrical generation plant and send it to the car.

When the first cars came on the scene in the early 1900s, they were noisy, noxious, and dangerous to use. People got killed all the time in them. As they gained more converts, they got all sorts of improvements to make them safer and nicer to use. 120 years of improvements to the ICE powered cars can't be compared to a decade of serious electric car development. But you have to start somewhere, and Tesla is leading the way with their electric cars. Tesla is a for profit company, so getting people to buy an electric car in favor of a ICE car is the only way to drive innovation in electric cars.

Do I want an electric car? Not yet. But I can see the potential in them. When they get the range the same as an ICE car, and the recharge time the same as it takes to refuel an ICE car, I will consider it. And they have to do something about the environmental impact related to battery production and inevitable disposal/recycling.

And if the Electric car eventually displaces the ICE powered car, I will sorely miss the mechanical music of an air cooled flat six at redline. sad.gif

agree.gif
Superhawk996
And then there’s that annoying physics problem.

Hauling around a battery that nearly weighs what a VW beetle did.

I know . . . Magic is just around the corner.
73-914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 3 2023, 01:27 PM) *

And then there’s that annoying physics problem.

Hauling around a battery that nearly weighs what a VW beetle did.

I know . . . Magic is just around the corner.

Plus the possibility of spontaneous combustion av-943.gif lol-2.gif sheeplove.gif
Root_Werks
We should not forget back in 1903, 97% of the cars on the we're electric.
NARP74
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Dec 4 2023, 03:13 PM) *

I thought it was a 30/30/30 split, steam, electric and gas
Root_Werks
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Dec 4 2023, 02:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Dec 4 2023, 03:13 PM) *

I thought it was a 30/30/30 split, steam, electric and gas

Nope, for 4-5 years electric taxis dominated NY and Chicago with hot swap battery packs. Shoot, there was even an SAE standardized plug for charging vehicles!

100+ years later and we're sort of learning.....sort of.
friethmiller
QUOTE(targa72e @ Dec 1 2023, 12:14 AM) *

john

agree.gif It will go down in history as the ugliest car-trucks ever built. Saw one in Austin the other day. That thing is butt-ass ugly! You could advertise on it's 4ft slab-sides, though.

I'm thinking the fifth grader who designed the Gladiator Jeep was way ahead of the 3rd grader that designed this monstrosity.
NARP74
Is it worse than a Pacer?
wonkipop
back to the future?
french already did it.
right down to the light bar headlighs (but pre LED).
last fling of citroen before they went under and became peugots with hydro suspension.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

i think elon musk spends time geeking out on citroen concept designs and real future prediction done back then in the 70s and early 80s.

73-914
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Dec 4 2023, 06:56 PM) *

Is it worse than a Pacer?

YES
bkrantz
QUOTE(friethmiller @ Dec 4 2023, 04:38 PM) *

QUOTE(targa72e @ Dec 1 2023, 12:14 AM) *

john

agree.gif It will go down in history as the ugliest car-trucks ever built. Saw one in Austin the other day. That thing is butt-ass ugly! You could advertise on it's 4ft slab-sides, though.

I'm thinking the fifth grader who designed the Gladiator Jeep was way ahead of the 3rd grader that designed this monstrosity.

Wait until those slabs collect a few dents and the stainless gets bleached or stained.
flipb
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 5 2023, 09:17 PM) *

Wait until those slabs collect a few dents and the stainless gets bleached or stained.

Stains? Maybe.

Dents? Unlikely. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WDq0V5oBg&t=1065s
Superhawk996
It’s hard for me to reconcile that on a site dedicated to 2000 lb 914’s, so many are championing a nearly 7000 lb electric truck. av-943.gif
flipb
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 6 2023, 10:23 AM) *

It’s hard for me to reconcile that on a site dedicated to 2000 lb 914’s, so many are championing a nearly 7000 lb electric truck. av-943.gif

Really?

We like clever engineering. Clever engineering comes in many forms.

I'm not rushing out to buy the Cybertruck. I have no desire to own one. But there's some truly remarkable tech that is debuting in it, and I hope some of that tech will soon reach more mass-market vehicles.

I guess I'm just willing to learn a little bit about it before passing judgment instead of assuming anything that is different is uniformly worse.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.