Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bit OT: custom 356 header I built
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
On a Classic 356 kit the A-1 fits like dog-doo without a) cutting into the body and redesigning the muffler. Then it sticks out...totally unacceptable.

I guess I'm in the custom header biz now that I've done one, BUT it's been a eye opener....I can NOT beat the price of the A-1 for sure. A lot of work goes into a custom header. I've got over 4 days into this one so far, could be making better coin doing other stuff....

With Muffler this exhaust will come out to be around $1500 Canadian (about $1200 USD).
Mark Henry
nutter pic
maf914
Mark, looks good. Lots of work. Is there a reason you went 4 into 1 as opposed to 4-2-1 like Chris' Tangerine header? Just wondering.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (maf914 @ Aug 19 2005, 04:47 PM)
Is there a reason you went 4 into 1 as opposed to 4-2-1 like Chris' Tangerine header?

He wouldn't be finished yet if he went with a 4-2-1 design. laugh.gif Would be easier to have me make one at that point. He's already not far behind my price.
Good work for a non exhaust fabricator Mark. welder.gif
Mark Henry
Thanks Chris!

On an "imported from USA" header you can add 60% to your US price...dollar exchange, taxes X2, brokerage, shipping (double dipped shipping by most carriers)... wacko.gif

Yep 4-2-1 would be harder...but I've always liked the 4 into 1 as I'm an old T1 bug guy. smile.gif
Also I tried not to copy any one persons design...don't think I could do it without peeking at Chris's 4-2-1.
It's a lot like the A-1...but the A-1 collector is a lot like T1 headers that been around since the 60's

Not looking to make this a regular gig...but it's nice to be able to help my "custom" customers.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Aug 19 2005, 07:11 PM)
On an "imported from USA" header you can add 60% to your US price...

So much for free trade, eh? sad.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Aug 19 2005, 08:10 PM)
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Aug 19 2005, 07:11 PM)
On an "imported from USA" header you can add 60% to your US price...

So much for free trade, eh? sad.gif

What the fuch is that dry.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Aug 19 2005, 08:13 PM)

What the fuch is that dry.gif

This side of the border it is the bill of goods we were sold labeled NAFTA. Not sure what they sold you.
I'm sure it was good for someone though. unsure.gif icon8.gif barf.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Aug 19 2005, 08:57 PM)

I'm sure it was good for someone though. unsure.gif icon8.gif barf.gif

Yeh.... the good ol' boys....the rich, big biz

As always the little guy gets sheeplove.gif
Maltese Falcon
Nice work Mark welder.gif
People are blown away by our " $250.00 per port" charge on custom 1-off headers- but that price just barely pays the fabricator and the overhead at my shop! Needless to say , we turn away over 50% of the customs (usually just sell them a box of Ubends)... so we can concentrate on production items and pay the bills wink.gif
Marty
bd1308
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Aug 19 2005, 08:51 PM)
As always the little guy gets sheeplove.gif

ohmy.gif miles, he has your goat!!
Mark Henry
Thanks Marty smile.gif

The price per port is the way to go....thanks again.

Here's what it will look like on the 356. The car is on jack stands and this pic is taken about level with the bottom of the pan. Everything is under the car, when on the ground you won't see much.
I'll tackle the muffler next week.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.